ATM

This is a discussion on ATM within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPFTChyAgTg This has been happening quite often in my area. At drive up ATMs, I try to pull close enough ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ATM

ATM

I just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPFTChyAgTg

This has been happening quite often in my area. At drive up ATMs, I try to pull close enough to the ATM so that no one can get between me and the ATM and I make sure my doors are locked.

If I were at an ATM and someone came up to me and tried to take the money out of my hand, I don't think I would feel the need to draw my weapon. I could easily move the car up a little bit or grab their hand, etc. A walk up ATM is a bit different, but you still have other options beside drawing your gun on an unarmed perp. I'd only draw my weapon if I feared for my life and were really going to pull the trigger. This situation doesn't fit in.

What would you guys do if someone came up to you or your car at an ATM and tried to grab your cash? Would you draw like the guy in the video?

2. Remove Ads

I would immediately draw on him. You don't know if he has a weapon that he has not yet displayed, you wait it might be too late, and you already have a felony under most statutes.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    You have got to love those "police tips".

Kudos to the kid. Handled things great. Stayed cool, calm and stood his ground.

As for the police advice to comply with the robber and hand over your money and/or valuables....no thanks. Good advice for sheep I suppose. I'd rather defend myself and my belongings (however each scenerio would dictate).

Prevention is best... lots here never use ATMs to avoid the illustrated risk. I don't go to that extreme, but I do avoid using them after dark. Regardless, I have an unholstered sidearm in hand or close at hand, and my head is on a swivel as I execute the ATM transaction. Doors are locked. I have a manual trans but I'm ready to punch out if I have to. I honestly can't say with certainty whether I would present my weapon or try to drive away; that is highly dependent on what I perceived the threat to be. That includes proximity of the threat, the sight of any weapons, and whether the BG invaded the 'space' of my car.

I thought the victim in the video handled the situation well. I wouldn't give you a day-old mule turd for the "police tips" offered, though.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The police tips are good advice when you place yourself in a position that you have little other choice anyway.

I generally try to only use ATMs inside populated locations (like a well lit gas station where the ATM sin't hidden behind stacks of boxes and in a dark corner), or I will try to make it to the bank during bank hours (a tough proposition, I understand) and just get money from there, even if it's not much. Tellers don't seem to be busy during, say, your lunch time if it's a good enoguh time. I used to go around 11:30-12, and I never had to wait in line.

I don't use atms at all, in fact I don't even have an atm card. I keep a "c" note in my wallet for emergencies that a credit card will not cover and if I use the "c" note, I replace it the next day.

Planning ahead could eliminate the use of ATM's.IMHO...and I certainly wouldn't be going to one at 1 A.M.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know where this man was...didn't catch a location on the clip...but here in FL I wouldn't have hesitated n just shot what I could see. In this case probably his head since I drive a bigger vehicle and he'd have to reach up to get into my vehicle.
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Why waste time drawing a gun?

Gas and a sharp turn to the left would have solved the situation in the video. Bank would have had to pressure wash the poor misguided soul off the brick building.
    Last edited by NC Bullseye; October 2nd, 2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Why risk damaging your vehicle unnecessarily?
    There is no time wasted if your weapon is already drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Why risk damaging your vehicle unnecessarily?
    There is no time wasted if your weapon is already drawn.
    So if you are somewhere that there might be a threat you draw your firearm before anything happens?

If this is the case why have a holster at all? Aren't you always in a possible threat situation?

This is kind of like only putting on your seat belt only when you travel certain "bad" roads.

My point is that most people do not sit in their vehicle with their carry firearm drawn, while sitting at an ATM many do not place it it park so the act of stepping on the gas as you apply slight left turn to the wheel is faster and will most likely garner more attention of the attacker.

As to damaging the vehicle, even if you rip the side off the entire car, you're still ahead of the game over the use of a firearm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You have got to love those "police tips".
    Ah yes, curl into a fetal position and softly whimper to the criminal to spare your life, NOT me.

Normally I only use an ATM during daylight hours and then I pull up as close as possible and the truck stays in gear in case a rapid exit is required.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I believe that many consider the situation in question of sufficient threat to predraw.
    Do what you think best.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links