Coupla thinkers

This is a discussion on Coupla thinkers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two new scenario's to think about : 1) Your neighbor across the street just had a messy breakup with her boyfriend. About 2 am you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coupla thinkers

Lightbulb Coupla thinkers

Two new scenario's to think about:

1) Your neighbor across the street just had a messy breakup with her boyfriend. About 2 am you hear smashing and screaming. It's the ex trying to break down the girl's front door. What would you do? Intervene? Just lay back and call 911? Yell at him and hope he leaves?

2) You are CC'ing downtown and you pass an alley and catch a glimpse of something suspicious. You turn back and see that it is a man trying to force himself on a woman. Do you draw on him? Yell at him to get off? Run towards him to scare him off?

Let me know what you think, I know you all have opinions.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

For the first one I would call 911 and hang back. IF it looked like it was getting dangerous I might go out to do something. I have a hard time with women being hurt and it would piss me off. I know most people say take care of your own but if he was hitting her or something I might just go out there with a baseball bat or something.
    For the second senario...
    well my first instinct is kill him. I wouldnt but I definately would not just walk by and call 911. I would call 911, draw and tell him to get off her. I would have a real hard time not beating the crap out of him.
    Just my .02
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

VIP Member
    First situation, I would cal 911. No one is being harmed and let the LEO's do their job. Second situation, I would let th BG know I am calling 911 but keep an eye on him at all time. If this does not stop him I would draw. Not knowing what his next move is I can not say what my next move would be.

911. then
    Observe, evaluate, act if needed (unlikely)
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    #1 - I'd call 911 and watch till the police arrived.

#2 - I'd holler at the BG and start heading in his direction. If he takes off, fine. If he pulls a weapon then so do I! From that point on it's his decision as to what I do next!

The first scenario I'd call 911 and keep an eye on the situation from a distance while I wait for police.

The second scenario I'd definately draw on the guy and hold him there until police arrive. Obviously that guy has no problem hurting that particular person so who's to say he's not a threat to other people as well. That kind of person has no productive role in society and needs to be removed.

Lead Moderator
    911 , both situations. 2nd situation, yell at the BG, perhaps intervene depending on the situation. Domestic assault is one of the most dangerous for LE, you never know when/ if the victim will turn on ya.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I had a neighbor get beat inches from death by an ex that had the fatal attraction thing going on. I don't think I could just stand by but would call 911 and keep a very very close eye on things. #2 I'd have to make sure the perp knew I was there and have called 911. Might have to expend more energy if he didn't stop the attack.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

VIP Member
    It is hard to say what is the BEST thing to do. I would try to stop both because it's the RIGHT thing to do.......

However, with domestic situations, you never know. Years back I was at a Burger King, standing in line. Just outside the door, I saw a man in his early 20s start smacking his girlfriend. I went outside at once grabbed him by his collar & flung him off of her. I yelled at him without cursing , to stop. He did, he backed down & calmed down........then............the girlfriend goes off........on ME! .

There she is getting the crap beat out of her, I stop it & she gets mad at me. I told her if she wants to get beaten, than take it some where private.

Neither one knew I was carrying & I never went for my weapon.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

1) In our neighborhood, we all try to keep an eye on each other. Call 911. Yell at the guy, and then intervene if it looks like he's making progress getting inside. Of course, a laser dot from my AR might be deterrent enough. Hell, a laser pointer would probably do it, but in case he has a gun, I don't want to be stuck saying, "Stop or I'll point again!".

2) If I know it's an assault, then I'm intervening. On the other hand, if it's two goth kids having a fun evening out, I'd prefer not to shoot. If it's a confirmed attempted rape in progress, a 230gr JHP should put a stop to it. Oh, yes, and do by all means call 911.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator

These days with absolutely equality of the sexes

Remember that your answers simply must reflect that absolute equality.
    We must treat females exactly the same as males and vice versa.
    So while giving your answers to the above ~~~ your answers must be the same and 100% interchangeable for the way the scenarios have been rewritten below.

1) Your neighbor across the street just had a messy breakup with his girlfriend. About 2 am you hear smashing and screaming.
    It's the ex-girlfriend trying to break down the guys front door.
    What would you do? Intervene? Just lay back and call 911?
    Yell at her and hope she leaves?

2) You are CC'ing downtown and you pass an alley and catch a glimpse of something suspicious. You turn back and see that it is a woman trying to force herself on a man.
    Do you draw on her? Yell at her to get off?
    Run toward her to scare her off?

Let me know what you think, I know you all have opinions.

VIP Member
    QKShooter, I'm sorry but I feel you gave a very wrong statement on equality. I do believe men and women are equal but they are not that in body makeup. Yes I know some women are much more stronger than men but I am trying to speak the norm here. In most cases men are the stronger sex, so therefore you do not handle it the same way.

Lead Moderator
    In all seriousness, QK shooter has a point. sometimes the female may be the aggressor. Getting beat down by someone I started to protect isn't my idea of a good time. And 2 on 1 can happen quickly.
    Unless you are sure of the situation and know LE cannot respond quickly, I would suggest hanging back. Shouting a warning and calling 911 is a good first step. Your CCW permit does not make you a LE officer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    911 , both situations. 2nd situation, yell at the BG, perhaps intervene depending on the situation. Domestic assault is one of the most dangerous for LE, you never know when/ if the victim will turn on ya.
    In the Police Academy we had some shoot / don't shoot scenarios that went that way! Shoot the bad guy and the victim picks up his gun and shoots you!

#1Ok what should be done.Call 911 and watch the guy beat the crap out of her.So you can be the main witness at the hearing.Aint it great to have all this POWER in your hands and have to be so careful about it.

#2 The B/G is so busy he dont see you run up and POP him in the head. you have saved the courts and the SYSTEM alot of time and money. But of course you are a LAW abiding person so you call 911 and try to SCARE the B/G away.

Remember its YOUR life and or YOUR property thats in danger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links