Bad Night...

This is a discussion on Bad Night... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, at 3am I wake up for no reason (dogs were quite and the kids asleep) and decide to go out front and smoke. As ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bad Night...

Bad Night...

So, at 3am I wake up for no reason (dogs were quite and the kids asleep) and decide to go out front and smoke. As I leave the master bedroom, I grab my gun, which I carry every waking moment, and walk downstairs.

I walk outside to find someone on my front porch at the window like they were trying to get in. He's about 5 feet and walking away. I yelled "Hey!" and he turned. From about 8 or 9 feet away he moves towards me, holding something like a screwdriver...

I screamed "Get [removed] down!" and a few other select phrases as I reach for my gun. As I start the draw (now, I practice everyday and am at the range at least 4 or 5 times a week working on drills and would consider myself pretty advanced) He turns with this look of terror and tears out of there across my yard.

He's running so fast that he gets away from himself and bites the curb on the other side of the street. At this point (I'm not looking for too much critique as I know what I did, and consciously chose to do so, though i understand the potential consequences of my actions) I'm advancing towards him until he's out of my yard.

Now, I hear a car start in front of my house, that I somehow completely missed, and start to burn tire... Well, I know I can't catch the guy that's half a block away and also know it's not the best idea, but I want to get some info...

So, I know I can out-drive the guy in the car.. I run in and grab my keys (again, I know what I did here and I chose to do so. Not looking for a fight, but wanted a plate) and take off in that direction still seeing the lights a block and a half away. I follow him through the neighborhood and back to Ocean Dr. He sees me and takes off. He was driving back and forth like he was looking for his buddy.

We're cruising at a good clip and I get on his bumper and get the plate number. Called the police then and they came by. Gave them all the info and they said they'd see what happens. I don't expect much, but at least there's a record. Last time they smashed a window in the Z, this time both the Mercedes and Jag were in the driveway. The porch light was on.

Now, I know what I did here and should maybe have hung back, but I wanted a plate. The only reason I didn't fire, and I was setting the trigger as I drew and about to shoot, was because he was turning his back to me. I followed because there's been a number of home invasions and burglaries and we're sick of it. The cops were ok with it, surprisingly. They also had said it was good to get the plate, though I thought I'd catch some crap since one was a shooting buddy.

Now, this is the third situation I've been in in 11 years that almost or did result in gunfire. Not good luck. We live in a very nice area of town, but it most certainly doesn't make us immune.

It never fails to amaze me how things happen. I instinctively went to my gun and drew without having to think. Everything was fluid. as they ran and drove erratically, I was able to do so with purpose, almost relaxed and on autopilot.

Once I got the plate, I backed off and pulled over. I have an iPhone 4 and went to punch it in to notes or the ToDo app I have, but couldn't figure it out like that part of my brain shut down, so I sent it as a text to the last person I messaged. I assume since I text often, it was memory, just like the draw and movement off the line. The notes is something I only use now and then and actually had to think about it, that's why it didn't work, I assume.

At 4:45am, 1 hour and 45 minutes later, the police knock. They ask if I want to go take a look at a guy and see if I could identify one of them. Apparently, they saw a Trailblazer (not the Hyundai I saw) scoping out cars or houses and tried to pull them over. They ran and were caught.

The 2 guys and 1 girl were from the West Side, a filthy, dirty area where all the little wannabe gang bangers live and collect welfare and food stamps.. The girl had a gun and went to jail for unlicensed concealed carry and eluding, scumbag #2 went for pot and scumbag #3 had nothing since I guess he stayed in the car, so they had me look. It was clearly not him, though in my moment of anger, I really felt like saying it was so they could at least throw a trespassing charge, if not something more. Not sure if there's anything there for any type of assault of attempted burglary.

Anyway, I'm still surging a bit and pretty angry, so excuse any attitude I may seem to have. I'm sick of these filthy [removed] taking from people like me that work. If you want what I have, get a career. I've got news for them, they can rob and steel everyday for the rest of their lives and I can assure you, they'll never have 1/10th of what I do.

Anyway, it is what it is. I almost shot the guy, one half second more and I'd be telling you how well Ranger T works. I probably should have gone back inside, but I knew what I was getting into and to be honest, I'm sick of it. I wanted a plate number or anything. I let my anger take over for a moment, but I had enough control not to shoot someone in the back...

After I got back and went upstairs and woke my wife. I started to tell her what happened and just completely lost it for about a minute or two. It's amazing how the body works and gives you what you need to make it through a particular situation. It's over now and I don't expect anything to come of it, though they have the plate and maybe I'll hear something, though that's probably wishful thinking.

I just wanted to let y'all know. Hopefully I prevented something very bad from happening. If anyone has anything to add, let me know.

I'll end with the comment that hindsight is 20/20 and unless YOU PERSONALLY have been in a defensive shooting (or very close too) please don't tell me what you WOULD have done because I can assure you, I would have told you yesterday that I'd do this and that completely differently than I did. So, without having been there, it's the equivalent of telling someone Glocks feel like crap and are very inaccurate when you've only held one once or twice and shot one or two mags, if at all.....which I SEE DAILY ON HERE!

Thanks to all that hung in there through my ramblings!
    Last edited by JD; October 8th, 2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: addressed via PM.
    OD* likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Well, I hope things look up for you soon. I cannot fault you for anything that you did, especially drawing down on the guy when started coming at you. I probably would have done the same thing to get a plate number, considering these clowns could be the same ones that have been messing with you. And on a side note, way to develop those spidey-senses. You woke up and unconsciously reacted to a situation your dogs weren't even aware of! That is just plain awesome.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm with you 100% on this, in all your actions! I see so many "shoot first, ask questions later" from those who haven't been in that situation. Shooting is a last resort. Easy to say; a lot harder to live with--when it isn't absolutely necessary. Shoulda-coulda-wouldas are easy.

It's unfortunate that the kid got away (for now), but I doubt he'll come back to your domicile anytime soon. Thanks for doing your part to take a bite out of crime, and I hope that tag number leads to some arrests.

I'd normally tell you that you need to quit smoking, but, hey, this time it worked out!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds like you did pretty close to what I would have done.

Keep a record of that license number. If you have another burg/HI in the neighborhood that comes to your attention, you might again bring it to the attention of the PD in case they lose or foget the connection.

Hey, Jon. I think it all went well, and you handled it very well. Hopefully they won't be back to your house after this, unfortunatley the trash grows and reproduces faster than we do. What you need is a beat up one ton truck with a dozer blade welded to it so when you catch up with them ya can just push them off the road. Stay safe man, I'll get down there sooner or later!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the positive comments right now!

You know, I wanted to run him off so bad but I kept thinking "new Mercedes bumper or a moment of satisfaction, new Mercedes bumper or a moment of satisfaction". The bumper won out, but it was very close! I swear I even thought about insurance and deductibles for a moment while it was going on! ;)
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

It's good you didn't run him off the road, that would probably be something equivalent to vehicular assault - shooting him at that point would have obviously been illegal as well. I don't fault you for anything you did.

Agreed. obviously it's my anger talking, but I surely would have enjoyed it!

I think you did fine. Don't beat yourself up on what you did or did not do.... simply review, learn from the experience and go forward. I hope that they eventually catch the guys.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Look you did what you felt needed to be done under the circumstances.........seems like you had it pretty much in control. What if you hadn't gotten up for a smoke......what then ?

I have only one question: Did you grab the Glock or the Nighthawk?

Sorry, but it's a question that must be asked...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

You did great. Cant say I wouldn't have done the same thing. Minus leaving my home/property...only because wife and kids would have been alone. If single, or alone, I woulda done pretty much the same as you.

Glad to hear you're ok.

Thanks guys.

zacii, it was neither, I chose what was behind door #3! M&P with Warren Tactical 2 dot sights, 10-8 basepads, Apex DCAEK kit and some minor frame work.

If I knew something was happening, I'd go for the SBR LMT or LWRC PSD.

Sounds like you did a good job with what was delt to you, hopefully they catch these guys soon!

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    ...It's amazing how the body works and gives you what you need to make it through a particular situation...
    Totally irrelevant in comparison, but I've noticed this while spirited driving. I'm a "driver". I've been on the track, or back roads and in some near crash situations (and have crashed). But while you're doing your thing, doing everything you know and you're capable of to regain control, It's like you almost take your time, relaxed and calm to assess the situation and do what you need to do to take control. It's not until after wards, maybe a few corners down the road, or track that I think back and think "holy f*** I almost just died..." This may seem totally off topic, but it's the same concept.

I've been in other situations that I feel the same way. I'd feel that if/when I ever have to draw my weapon on somebody, it'll be a very similar feeling.

I think you did good. And when you said you knew you could out drive them, haha, I kinda know how you feel. Driving and motorsports are my first, and main passion :)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links