Envisioned a Scenario this morning

This is a discussion on Envisioned a Scenario this morning within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 2 parts: I parked out from of Dunkin Donuts this morning while my GF ran in. The whole storefront was glass. I was thinking what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2 parts:

I parked out from of Dunkin Donuts this morning while my GF ran in. The whole storefront was glass. I was thinking what to do if I saw 2 specious looking people walk to the front put ski masks on then walk inside. Would would your immediate reactions be?

If they walked in and pulled guns and you say everyone hit the floor (ordered to do so) What would you do? You are parked out front 20' from door. You know of 2 men inside, possibly others in parking lot for get-a-way. You can see them through the window, but there are 20 other people in there panicing.

Most armed robberies happen without anyone being shot, but certainly not all of them. Being that my girlfriend is inside, and I am not, I will let the robbery go down while summoning the local constabulary and being a good witness.

I AM NOT TURNING A ROBBERY INTO A SHOOTING!

If it wasn't a shooting then, it would be when I got home, as my wife doesn't know about my girlfriend.

If the situation changes, as I am watching, then I will change what I do as needed. In some locales, mine, you can shoot an armed robber as he is committing the act. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Do I want to endanger my girlfriend, or other patrons for what statistics show will most likely be a non-injurious event for all concerned?

Biker

I agree with BikerRN.
    In addition, once you start dealing with multiples and possibly some you are unaware of, things get very dicey very fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Biker, you are a card! I agree, no reason to make it worse--call 911!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I certainly wouldn't take action with that many innocents in the way unless the BG's started shooting hostages.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Have to agree this is a hold and react to what the bad guys do. If outside hope for the best prepare for the worst.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

++1

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Most armed robberies happen without anyone being shot, but certainly not all of them. Being that my girlfriend is inside, and I am not, I will let the robbery go down while summoning the local constabulary and being a good witness.

I AM NOT TURNING A ROBBERY INTO A SHOOTING! (Emphasis added)

If it wasn't a shooting then, it would be when I got home, as my wife doesn't know about my girlfriend.

If the situation changes, as I am watching, then I will change what I do as needed. In some locales, mine, you can shoot an armed robber as he is committing the act. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Do I want to endanger my girlfriend, or other patrons for what statistics show will most likely be a non-injurious event for all concerned?

Biker
    One thing I MAY do is prepare for "worst case" by calmly getting out and opening the back of my truck. From that vantage point I can checkout the immediate area and also have access to the carbine in the electric lock if things "go south". Another advantage is that it puts the bulk of the truck between me and the BG's if anything goes bad.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Assuming that the robbers had not moved from where they donned the ski masks... First, on the phone to 911 with accurate descriptions of everyone involved. Next, I'd scan the parking lot for any other occupied vehicles, giving the descriptions and license plate numbers to 911 as well. Use the camera in your cell phone too.

If the robbers moved to herd the customers and workers into a back room - raising the question of pending executions, it might be time to either park the truck inside the shop (you mean there isn't a drive-thru?), or take the offensive against at least one robber. Seeing his partner-in-crime go down, the other robber would likely panic and run away, leaving the hostages alone.

I'm with Biker on this one. Odds are that this will go off with nobody getting hurt. No need to force the robbers' hands if they weren't prepared to shoot anyway.

Grammar Police Alert: I think you meant suspicious. Something is specious if it has the outward appearance of one thing, but is actually something else. For example, someone who you thought was a robber because he ran into the store wearing a ski mask but who was actually just the store owner coming in from a blizzard would have the specious appearance of being a robber.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I have a different take on this. This is a Dunkin Donuts, wont most of the customers be armed and have badges, and if not, then they will only be seconds away once someone says DONUTS. I kid you not, locally one night I was listening to the scanner, cops dispatched to the local donut shop and the marked on location in under a minute.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    One thing I MAY do is prepare for "worst case" by calmly getting out and opening the back of my truck. From that vantage point I can checkout the immediate area and also have access to the carbine in the electric lock if things "go south". Another advantage is that it puts the bulk of the truck between me and the BG's if anything goes bad.
    LOL.. If my husband has a rifle in the back of his truck and can see what is going on I am going to EXPECT him to do some shooting.

Marine Corps Third Award Expert trained out to 500 yards with iron sights and we are only talking the distance of a parking lot? HE BETTER BE SHOOTING TO SAVE MY BUTT!

If I know he has a rifle in the car I'm going to hit the ground like a sack of potatoes and wait for the dust to clear.

If roles were reversed I'd probably do the same.

If all we had were handguns? Well, I asked JD what he would do and he gave me a funny look and said, "I'm just hanging back and calling the police."

"You're going to leave me all to myself?"

"Yeah," he says, "I am. You can take care of yourself."

LOL.. In honesty, I'd do the same thing if he were inside and I were sitting in the car. He has a cool head about him and I trust him to take care of himself. I would do everything I could from the outside like take car description, call the police, report what's going on and try to be a good, interactive witness but I wouldn't be up for starting any shooting unless needed.

Lima, always enjoy your posts.

Our local "donut shop" is a Casey's so I would most likely be at the gas pump which is about 60ft or so from the building. Too far for my main EDC's to be very effective which is why I would consider the carbine if at all possible. So long as it is a simple robbery, money is replaceable, my family is NOT! My 4yr old is quite likely to be with my wife and I'm not doing ANYTHING to endanger them.

Being a good witness seems to be the best approach to me, but that doesn't mean I'm not prepared to take action if needed.
    Last edited by TSKnight; October 9th, 2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Smiley didn't show
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

VIP Member

Wink

In Bal'mer MD??

Unless you are an LEO or one of the privileged few, pray!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    2 parts:

I parked out from of Dunkin Donuts this morning while my GF ran in. The whole storefront was glass. I was thinking what to do if I saw 2 specious looking people walk to the front put ski masks on then walk inside. Would would your immediate reactions be?

If they walked in and pulled guns and you say everyone hit the floor (ordered to do so) What would you do? You are parked out front 20' from door. You know of 2 men inside, possibly others in parking lot for get-a-way. You can see them through the window, but there are 20 other people in there panicing.
    Doesn't matter if its my mom, my girlfriend, my wife, my kids, my ex, whatever... I cannot stand outside and watch it happen. I would go inside with my CCW, calmly, and try to stop the threats - one way or another.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    LOL.. If my husband has a rifle in the back of his truck and can see what is going on I am going to EXPECT him to do some shooting.

Marine Corps Third Award Expert trained out to 500 yards with iron sights and we are only talking the distance of a parking lot? HE BETTER BE SHOOTING TO SAVE MY BUTT!

If I know he has a rifle in the car I'm going to hit the ground like a sack of potatoes and wait for the dust to clear.

If roles were reversed I'd probably do the same.

If all we had were handguns? Well, I asked JD what he would do and he gave me a funny look and said, "I'm just hanging back and calling the police."

"You're going to leave me all to myself?"

"Yeah," he says, "I am. You can take care of yourself."

LOL.. In honesty, I'd do the same thing if he were inside and I were sitting in the car. He has a cool head about him and I trust him to take care of himself. I would do everything I could from the outside like take car description, call the police, report what's going on and try to be a good, interactive witness but I wouldn't be up for starting any shooting unless needed.
    AW! He's so sweet!
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links