Sleepless Night: Crying Kid

This is a discussion on Sleepless Night: Crying Kid within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick scenario that occurred last night. My wife and I awoke at around 1:30am to the sounds of a baby crying and our two dogs ...

Thread: Sleepless Night: Crying Kid

Quick scenario that occurred last night.

My wife and I awoke at around 1:30am to the sounds of a baby crying and our two dogs going insane. I immediately thought it was my daughter crying but realized something was wrong. First my dogs don't bark when my kids cry the second thing was I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. I jumped up thinking that she had gotten out of bed and wandered off the second floor (although there is a lockable door that separates all the bedrooms from the rest of the house).

As I was walking out of the bedroom I asked my wife where our daughter was and she said she's "right here". She had climbed into our bed again.

At that time I stepped out into the hall and listened. The baby/toddler was still crying and intermittently saying "I want my mama". I quickly checked on my son and then threw on my pants and began down stairs. My dogs were still going crazy. When I got to the bottom of the stairs I opened my front door and they bolted out still growling and barking (my entire yard is fenced/gated front and back so they weren't going far).

At this time I realized I no longer heard the crying so I walked outside and looked up and down my street. All was quite. I turned and went back inside and called the dogs in.

When I got upstairs I asked my wife about the crying and she confirmed that she heard them too after being awoken by the dogs. I told her that it was strange that the cries stopped right before I went outside. I re-checked on my kids and then got back in bed, a little wierded out to say the least. We discussed wether or not we had just heard a child being abducted and that it was strange to here a child screaming "I want my mama" since we are in a small German town with only a few other American families around.

As I lay there with a million thoughts going through my head I realized that I may have been set-up and luckily saved by my dogs. I searched for crying baby scams on the net and found that there have been a few occasions of recordings being used to lore people from their homes

Unfortunately, I can't readily have firearms here and have to resort to some alternatives for my "home defense" plan.

So, do you think we may have been targeted given that no neighbors are missing their kids?

Most likely someone was putting their kid in the car or taking them out and we heard the fuss. Although, that doesn't explain why my dogs acted so abnormally. They don't make a fuss without a valid reason.

Sounds pretty fishy to me. If that type of stuff goes on over in Germany, then I'd say that's what it may have been unless your daughter has a doll that makes that sound and left it somewhere. Your dogs may have just saved your bacon.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Very strange to say the least. Glad you and yours are safe. And way to go, listening to the dogs. They always know whats up before we do.

Stay safe.

Hunters often use the sound of young animals in distress to lure adults to the area, so it would make sense that a similar tactic would work with any mammal, including humans.

Perhaps you were the victim of a prank mimicking an urban legend, or perhaps someone heard about the urban legend and wanted to give it a try.

Serial killer lures women out of the house with crying baby sounds:
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/crybaby.asp
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Administrator
    What better way for a stealthy home invader to cause an unsuspecting sleepy homeowner to unlock the door and pop that door wide open to venture outdoors to look for a lost, helpless, little crying child.

I would best guess that you're a lucky guy. Give those dogs of yours a special treat. Me personally...I'd grill each dog a thick, juicy steak.

Paranormal activity?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Paranormal activity?
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Trust no one, suspect everything. Stay armed...stay inside...stay safe! Glad it was a non-event.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Eyebrow raiser for sure.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

As a parent, how do you go back to sleep after that. I bet I'd have gone outside, natural parental instinct.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Vielleicht sollten Sie die Polizei angerufen haben.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Ich stimme, keine Materie das Ergebnis.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Warum die Polizisten hätten sowieso nichts getan. :)

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    Warum die Polizisten hätten sowieso nichts getan. :)
    Ja?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

No guns?

Try wasp/hornet/bear spray.Axe handles.Hatchets.Machetes.Knives.Tactical flashlights.

Hey,the crying did stop.So the kid did get calmed down,and no ones reported a missing kid.Try looking out the window first next time instead of just wondering around outside.

Sponsored Links