How and where do you park your car.

This is a discussion on How and where do you park your car. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently I have been parking farther away from malls and WW and stores in general and have been parking so I can pull straight out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How and where do you park your car.

How and where do you park your car.

Recently I have been parking farther away from malls and WW and stores in general and have been parking so I can pull straight out without backing up. My general thinking is if my Jeep is out in the open I can scan much easier for bg's also if I have more car control going forward instead of reverse. The only downfall I see is I have to walk by a lot more cars where a bg can hide. Thoughts!!

2. Remove Ads

I use to do that, mainly to protect the finish on my cars from the door crunchers. Now I park where ever I find a spot, but I start scanning the area of my car when I come out the door of the location. I figure I can drive over "them" going backwards as good as forwards.

I prefer to park closer to the entrance. Hopefully, the more people that are around your car, the less likely it is to be broken into. Also, in winter, sometimes the parking lots are icy, the closer the better then, too.

Like Gloves, I park wherever I can find a spot. I do prefer to back in, but sometimes that's not always possible in a crowded mall parking lot. As he said, I can back over them just as easily as driving forward over them.

I do like that backing in gives me better scanning ability to where I intend to walk to, as it sucks to be "startled" by someone as you are getting out of your truck. It also allows one to use the engine block as partial cover, along with the door post, if the attack is from your frontal area. That is not the case if you back in to your parking spot and are now attacked from the rear of your vehicle.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Like Gloves, I park wherever I can find a spot. I do prefer to back in, but sometimes that's not always possible in a crowded mall parking lot. As he said, I can back over them just as easily as driving forward over them.

I do like that backing in gives me better scanning ability to where I intend to walk to, as it sucks to be "startled" by someone as you are getting out of your truck. It also allows one to use the engine block as partial cover, along with the door post, if the attack is from your frontal area. That is not the case if you back in to your parking spot and are now attacked from the rear of your vehicle.

Biker
    good point

I tend to park on the far end of the parking lot for the exercise, not security; however, I think it may be a toss up with a slight edge to parking away from other vehicles. The reason is that you are most vulnerable when you're putting your purchases in your car, getting in, etc. Parking away from hiding places makes it a lot harder for a criminal to surprise you at just that moment. On the other hand, you are spending more time traversing the parking lot which gives more opportunity for attack. The fact that you will be better able to remain aware of your surroundings while walking with your head high mitigates this a bit, giving the edge to parking away from other vehicles IMMHUAOFCIECO.

(In my most humble, unassuming, and open for correction if evidence contradicts opinion).

Have I mentioned that I hate chat room acronyms?
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I used to park in the outfield. Now days I park as close to front as possible. I look for a spot wide enough (vehicles on either side that stay in their slot and not on the line) and I back in so when I leave I don't have to back out into the lane of traffic that also has pedestrians. This way I'm less likely to accidently back over an innocent pedestrian. This also provides for a quicker exit.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

At WalMart, I know one of the security dudes --- that watches the cameras. I park where he parks, which is also where a lot of managers happen to park as well --- I'm guessing they get a good view of that area on the cameras.
    In general I'm not too picky about where I park though. Either way has both advantages and disadvantages.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    In general I'm not too picky about where I park though. Either way has both advantages and disadvantages.
    Yeah that is kinda the way I feel as well just tryin to find the lesser of evils. Nice dog btw

In Texas I park for shade .

On the revers though, when I return to the car I am always looking around (people in the Dallas area simply cant' drive) and when I get in the car I lock the doors and start it up then put it in the gear I intend on driving, then I'll buckle up and finish what I need to do. My thinking is, no one can simply yank open the door and I can always punch it and escape or make one heck of a racket ramming in to cars.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member
    At grocery stores, I park near the cart return corrals, so it is easy to wheel the cart back when done. This is esp handy when it is rainy.

Other places I don't like to be too far off the beaten track. At Costco I also do the cart return proximity thing.

gtv
    I usually park at the far end, as GruntingFrog says, for the exercise. Also, I like to think that it helps protect the car from likely bumps and dings. Lastly, it gives me a wide, unobstructed view of my surroundings as I load the car, and if I have the only car parked out there, then anyone who "just happens to be heading in my direction" will be subjected to enhanced scrutiny.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

mrm
    I drive a rather large f250 super duty diesel with good size tires on her so alot of parking spots are out of the question so I just park where I can and have my guard up wherever I am.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I part were I can find the nearest spot to the main door and I back in 90% of the time.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

RKM
    If I'm in my '98 Malibu, I'll park where ever, close, far, doesn't matter. If I'm in my Evo, I'll park far away. Usually I can pull in and pull out because there are no other cars around. I tend to park far away in either car just because it's a habit. Plus, I don't mind walking. No tactics, really. When I exit the store, I look left and right, mainly to make sure I won't get hit by a car, and then just look around casually as I walk out. Nothing special. My SA, is starting to became second nature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links