"15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence"...

This is a discussion on "15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence"... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just shooting in the BGs general direction will buy you and others time to escape. That is an excellent, noteworthy observation. I thought about answering ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence"...

Just shooting in the BGs general direction will buy you and others time to escape.
    That is an excellent, noteworthy observation.

I thought about answering this one earlier today and didn't. But now my thinking is more clear. Yes, as actimmy says above, just shooting back is a strong defense whether you are taking the BG out with a single shot or not.

Also, I think about my neighbor who works in a very high-risk profession. He used to carry a full-size Glock or M&P, then went to a compact, and now has an Ruger .380 LCP loaded with Corbon DPX as EDC. He says that the LCP is a no-brainer for EDC. Even if he's just wearing shorts and a T-shirt, just going to the corner store for a Coke or whatever, he can toss it in a pocket and he's always well armed.

Sure, no question, if you carry a full-size 1911 or something, you have better accuracy and more firepower and are better able to defend against the crazed gunman in your local cafeteria, but you also have to ask yourself about the kind of threats you're likely to encounter. There may be times when concealing a full-size weapon is inconvenient. Better to have a mousegun than nothing.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

I think that there are two sides to the type/size of weapon one carries. As Shockwave mentioned there can be clothing and location madates, and even physical factors that affect the size and type of weapon one might carry. There is little question that something is better than nothing

On the other hand there are those who choose to carry a smaller weapon as they do not wish to do the attire or other necessities necessary to carry a larger weapon. This is choice, not mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think that there are two sides to the type/size of weapon one carries. As Shockwave mentioned there can be clothing and location madates, and even physical factors that affect the size and type of weapon one might carry. There is little question that something is better than nothing

On the other hand there are those who choose to carry a smaller weapon as they do not wish to do the attire or other necessities necessary to carry a larger weapon. This is choice, not mandate.
    Agreed. People just gotta know their limitations
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

totally agree with cz75luver on this one! my family needs a father not a "hero". don't get me wrong. i still have the sheepdog mentality...but it's the "totality" of the situation. Besides most of the BG's are armed to the teeth anyway. sorry but my family always comes first.
    Last edited by can2boy; October 13th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

What’s with feeling like sense you have a gun you have to intervene belief. Personally shouldn’t getting you or your family, if there with/ you have one, be your primary concern? I know I would. The odds sound heavily against you to begin with. Why make it worse.

Essentailly circumstances weigh in determining actions, but here's a few answers.
    Engagement may be the best way to protect your family.
    Old habits (occupations) die hard.
    My sig line.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yeah, Gloves, I hear that. In my job, I've been a "run towards the fire" kinda guy, too. But, I wasn't "on the job" so it's not my bailiwick... Now if it were a hazmat spill... well, you run away, I'll take care of it...

To each their own, eh?

works fer me.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Understood.
    While I make suggestions, I try very hard not to "tell" someone else what they should do.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I weigh well over 200,and its not all muscle.I dont run away,im too tired to fight if i get caught.I hit the bullseye with my carry gun (G21) at 50 yards regularly.I would not want to endanger anyone else by any means,but if the perp is killing them anyway,i dont see any harm in taking aim.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think that in most cases just shooting back is going to be enough. Your .32 is better than harsh language and most people (including myself) are not used to being under fire. Just shooting in the BGs general direction will buy you and others time to escape.

Many times in a mass shooting scenario the attacker ends his own life as soon as opposition is encountered.
    THIS. Most of the mass shooters are cowards who end their own lives as soon as they run into any opposition. They are counting on things like gun free zones to give them 3-20 minutes free time. Even if your .32 never misses, it distracts them from the helpless victims they are methodically executing and maybe you get a lucky hit or two.

Looking forward, if terrorism ever takes hold, these people will not just shoot themselves but will actively engage so they can keep shooting others. For these (and you will know them because they will be carrying rifles and bombs) you take your shots and GTFO- Get OUT!

As for whether to get involved, a mass shooting is a FAR different thing than a domestic- you have clear good guys and bad guys and the ability to do something about it. My family gets clear and I do what I can, because as the bounty hunter said to Josey Wales... "I couldn't just walk away."

As others have said, a full size service caliber weapon fired correctly can make hits at 50-100 yards.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Yep… Whether carrying my Commander or full size 1911's or my Glock 17 or M&P9. I put about 100 rounds downrange 5 or 6 times a week. With every trip, I start with a magazine (8 to 17 rounds) at 25 to 35 yards. I start relatively slow, then consistently increase my speed until I can no longer shoot as accurately as I'd like. From there, everything else is from the holster, transitions and some malfunction stuff.

The key for me is not only being able to make those longer shots, but being able to make multiple shots quickly at those distances. For me, I'm happy with an 8" to 10" group at 25 yards, quickly. I can shoot a little more accurately than that, but then I sacrifice speed. Personally, I'd rather get 6 rounds in a 12" group that get 2 that are nearly touching in that same amount of time.

One thing that's helped me immensely is the BSA drill (balance of speed and accuracy). At each distance you start from the holster. At 3 yards, you draw and fire 2 rounds in 2 seconds, then 3 rounds in 2 seconds, then 4 rounds in 2 seconds, and so on. Then, move to 5, 7, 15, 25, 35 and 50. The point is to continually pick up the pace and keep "A zone" hits. Eventually you'll either start throwing shots or you'll just not get past a certain number. Most likely, you'll eventually pick it and shoot faster AND more accurately.

I'm confident whether I'm carrying a 9mm or 45 with a 4.25" to 5" barrel. Personally, I will not go below this in caliber or barrel length. I wear jeans and a t shirt or button down daily. I carry mostly outside the waistband and 1 or 2 extra mags and never have problems. So, I see absolutely no reason, FOR ME, to go to a smaller gun. Whether it's 2 or 3 guys up close or 1 at distance, I do not see a 380 or especially a 32 being sufficient.

Now, if all I had was a pocket gun, of course I'd carry it. If for some reason it's all I could conceal, then again, of course I'd carry it. No, I won't stand in front of one or suggest it to anyone and it's definitely better than not carrying at all, but the reality is it's MUCH easier to conceal a larger gun that most think and fortunately, I have many options and have found what generally works for me. I have a couple J frames and just don't ever carry them. I've carried the 357 a few times as a backup, but that's about it. Once I realized I was the only one that knew I was carrying, I never thought twice about it. I've been carrying a full size gun since day one.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I'd like to start shooting at 15 and 25 yards more often. Hell, I may even try 50 yards someday. I concentrate mainly on 7 yards though, especially with the Kahr.

This is the best I can do with the Kahr at 7 yards. Not an easy gun to shoot

HK and the Glock group almost the same. I find the HK just a touch more accurate but I'd have confidence with either out to 25, as long as I practice more.

I'm not very good, but it gets the job one.

I'm accurate to 30 feet with my fullsize 9mm, which is what I carry. I'm pretty accurate moving, etc in IDPA practice and hope for at least decent results under real conditions.

I want to get a smaller carry gun, a Kahr 9 or Para Carry 9mm probably...and as far as I'm concerned, I'll need to practice with it until I can be as accurate to 30 ft with that.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

The range I am repairing is 50 yards long,I carry a Combat Commander w/25 rounds I can effectively hit COM at 50 yards in the gun range,In a mall or other public place with gunfire and people running to get out of dodge a long shot might not be prudent,in an area where structure is only feet away you may shoot only to have somebody run out just as you squeeze off a shot.I am disabled and running is not in my vocabulary,I would have to find good defensive position that I could observe any gunman approaching from,and hopefully take him out before he even sees me
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I am repairing.I am disabled
    Exactly how and why are you working if you are disabled?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links