"15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence"...

This is a discussion on "15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence"... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just finished watching "Going Postal: 15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence" on E! It was about mass shootings in schools, malls, cafeterias, and the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence"...

I just finished watching "Going Postal: 15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence" on E! It was about mass shootings in schools, malls, cafeterias, and the like. That really got me thinking, if I'm in any of those situations, my little .32 is not equipped to hit a threat in those possible distances. I mean, I train (and shoot very often) at 15 feet. That's the longest I have ever shot my .32. In these scenarios, the threat is often across a cafeteria restaurant or down the hall of schools and malls. These distances likely exceed 15 feet, and by a larger distance.

Does anyone feel comfortable shooting in these situations with their CCW? How often do you practice with your CCW at distance greater than what is considered the norm for self-defense situations? Any other questions or comments? Lets discuss this.

Dave
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I feel more comfortable running in the other direction in that situation. However, if I had no choice then I wouldn't have a problem shooting at anything out to 50 yards. I use to hunt with a pistol and took shots for a kill on game at greater distances. But my aim and my eyes aren't what they were 20 years ago. Then again, neither is my running.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

I think that the subject has come up befor in a couple threads, but to answer you questions.
    That is one reason I carry a full size pistol in an accepted SD caliber.
    I try to keep practice distances in proportion to their likelihood of occurrence. With that said, each practice session I put a mag at a 10" x 24" gong at 50 yds.

If some crazed psycho is shooting people, I don't think I have the heart to run. I couldn't live with myself if I had a gun, and left. I know I may die, but I think I'd rather use my CCW to protect innocents from this threat, in this situation. This is just me; I know others may differ.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I don't limit myself to a particular distance, although I would say more than half my practice rounds are aimed at targets no more than 50 feet out. From time to time I also like to remind myself how to hold off to hit a target at 100 yards with my .45 - just to shake things up a bit.

I think with the defensive calibers from .38 to .45, you should be able to put most of your shots on a paper plate at 25 yards.

Your .32 is realistically an eye-socket, bad-breath distance survival tool (and I have one too, so I'm not castigating you), so practicing at 15 feet is reasonable. But you ought to know where your shots will go at 50 feet, as well.
    Last edited by gasmitty; October 11th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't limit myself to a particular distance, although I would say more than half my practice rounds are aimed at targets no more than 50 feet out. From time to time I also like to remind myself how to hold off to hit a target at 100 yards with my .45 - just to shake things up a bit.

I think with the defensive calibers from .38 to .45, you should be able to put most of your shots on a paper plate at 25 yards.

Your .32 is realistically an eye-socket, bad-breath distance survival tool (and I have one too, so I'm not castigating you), so practicing at 15 feet is reasonable. But you out to know where your shots will go at 50 feet, as well.
    I agree. But for right now, that's all I can afford.

Senior Moderator
    Dave, this VERY same reasoning was why I switched from a little .380 only accurate to about 7-10 yards to a 4" 1911 .45acp.

The place I was working for had gotten a shooting threat just after Virginia Tech and it forced me to really evaluate whether or not I could make that shot, under stress, with innocent people around, at a moving, shooting target.

I tried it at the local range and the accuracy just wasn't there with the little .380. So I got myself a more accurate gun and felt a little better prepared.

You really don't know what you might be forced to do and you want the best equipment for the job.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I did some pretty accurate, iron-sighted shooting with my Blackhawk .41 magnum on non-competitive shilouettes back in the day at ranges I don't think I'd care to try with my current .45 auto. I think I'd more inclined to hold off a mall shooter than purposely engage one, sticking to strictly defensive shots to make the BG keep his distance. Of coourse, if he wants to move closer, it only increases my odds of making a hit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As others have stated this is part of the reason I carry what I do (G36 or 4 1/4" 1911). I feel comfortable shooting both of them at 25-30 yards and the caliper should be enough to knock the fight out of them and keep them down. I wouldn't be able to run away from a situation like that knowing I could have saved other peoples lives instead of just watching my own back. I'd suggest taking a look at your current carry setup and make sure your sure that's what you feel most comfortable with, weigh the positives and negatives and see if you should switch to something a little more high powered/longer range.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    When I go to the range I shoot several rounds in different distances 3 meters (10 feet), 6 meters (20 feet), 9 meters (30 feet), 12 meters (40 feet), 15 meters (50 feet) and 18 meters (60 feet) since that is as far as my indoor shooting range goes in terms of length. I tend to use my snub nose revolver from a distance of 3 to 9 meters and then I train with my HK USP 40 S&W and Walther P99 9mm from 3 to 18 meters. I have never shot farther than 25 meters, but I think that I would feel comfortable shooting it. Nonetheless, I would rather avoid the attack, run the opposite direction and find some cover from where I would shoot the attackers if they approach me. But if the attackers were murdering people left and right then yes, I would try to take a shot at them from any distance.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think that the subject has come up befor in a couple threads, but to answer you questions.
    That is one reason I carry a full size pistol in an accepted SD caliber.
    I try to keep practice distances in proportion to their likelihood of occurrence. With that said, each practice session I put a mag at a 10" x 24" gong at 50 yds.
    Agree 100%.

RKM
    This is the main reason I don't like carrying my Kahr. I'm barely accurate with it at 7 yards. But it's SOOO easy to carry. The Glock 30, not difficult to carry, but not fun to sit on for extended periods of time, I shoot decently out to 15 yards. and pretty damn good at 7.

If I can get out of the line of gun fire and behind good concealment or cover, I may take a shot. It difficult though, because there would be a great chance of collateral. People running around like crazy, it'd be risky.

This is why I carry the biggest I can get away with. I can easily qualify with my compacts but I am not as precise as I am with my P226. That little bit longer sight radius does make a difference for me.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I just finished watching "Going Postal: 15 Most Shocking Acts of Violence" on E! It was about mass shootings in schools, malls, cafeterias, and the like. That really got me thinking, if I'm in any of those situations, my little .32 is not equipped to hit a threat in those possible distances. I mean, I train (and shoot very often) at 15 feet. That's the longest I have ever shot my .32. In these scenarios, the threat is often across a cafeteria restaurant or down the hall of schools and malls. These distances likely exceed 15 feet, and by a larger distance.

Does anyone feel comfortable shooting in these situations with their CCW? How often do you practice with your CCW at distance greater than what is considered the norm for self-defense situations? Any other questions or comments? Lets discuss this.

Dave
    All the places listed are gun free zones... bad guys don't bring guns here...

But In all seriousness I wouldn't be able to do anything because legally I can't carry these places... but God knows I would like to drop the BG and not take the chance of getting shot in the back as I run out. Or turn on the news that night and see that all of my class mates are dead... and I have to go to school and see professors teach with only half full classes.

I hate how there are victim enrichment zones. Until college carry is made legal everywhere, campus shooting will continue to happen.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

To the OP, I think it's about time to think about dressing around a larger pistol. Get a G19 it's dummy proof for a CCW. It's got lots of rounds and makes the G26 almost point less. You can also get a G23 which I find to be a a soft shooting .40 cal and buy a 9mm barrel for cheaper practice. If you're thinking about 50-100yard shots a 9mm is not a bad option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links