Came home today and my door was wide open

This is a discussion on Came home today and my door was wide open within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There were times that clearing the house, in the manner that EB31 posted, was a regular chore, usually based on intelligence information....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Came home today and my door was wide open

There were times that clearing the house, in the manner that EB31 posted, was a regular chore, usually based on intelligence information.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    There were times that clearing the house, in the manner that EB31 posted, was a regular chore, usually based on intelligence information.

Seems to be a chore here. We live in a little country town, no idea it was this infested with drugs before I moved here. My mistake. But we are here now. Everyday I enter the house first. Every night I clear the area so my wife and girls can go to the car. And so on...

I personally am a very "heads up" kinda guy anyway, but man..a break would be nice. It's draining. All my years in Jersey and NYC I didn't have to keep up this level of awareness. Thought it would be a little less "active" here.

Sry JWA...didnt mean to hijack your thread :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    It happened to me once, seems we forgot to deadbolt it and the wind blew the front door open (we're pretty sure, coz it does blow open if you forget to lock it) - we don't normally use the front door so I guess hubbs forgot to check it.
    I let the 4-leggers do the investigating about that
    That's what I do too on the very rare occasion that it has happened to me. My older dog Kona likes to check out all the rooms when we get home for some reason anyway. Tucker likes to follow her around while she polices the area.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

EB31,
    I hear you. It got particularly tense as the intelligence info was not on general criminal activity but on political/criminal groups specifically targeting us.

Sorry, will stay on topic hereafter.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I came home one time and one of my windows in the back side of my house was busted OUTWARD. All the glass was on the patio. I think my dog did it. It was the strangest thing. The dog showed no signs of injury. I figured she saw a person or a squirell. My dog is a pitbull/blue heeler mix mutt.....and a damn good guard dog.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    There have been more than one occasion where i have came home to my front door open or ajar. I always check the house before the kid comes in, but normally I beleive it is from my fathers significate other coming over while I am working. She makes it a point if she is on this side of town to stop and use MY restroom, I dont like the idea, but she does it.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by renegade01 View Post
    I came home one time and one of my windows in the back side of my house was busted OUTWARD. All the glass was on the patio. I think my dog did it. It was the strangest thing. The dog showed no signs of injury. I figured she saw a person or a squirell. My dog is a pitbull/blue heeler mix mutt.....and a damn good guard dog.
    So what did the dog say?
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

You're lucky man. I've done the same thing but been missing a few things. Later after we moved into the house we're in now, "I" left the utility room door open by not pulling the door to. I came home to find my oldest German Sheperd sitting in front of the door with a " you shall not pass" attitude. GOOOD dog!!
    "Come Watson, the game is afoot!"

I cleared the house a couple time in the last 16 yrs, Not so hard to clear a 16x70 2 B/Rs & 2 baths ones in the master B/R, door uassually open got a TV I use as a mirror, Can see my safe & Shot Gun, The rest of house is quite easy to me, Big living area and kitchen/dinning Rooms & yes Ive had profetional training. I'm Glad it amounted to nothing ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Somebody's getting a lecture.
    Lecture, hell. I'd say someone's hide is getting a tanning.

Glad it turned out to be nothing, but you can never be too careful.

Hmmm. In my current situation with a dog in the backyard I'd probably fetch him and let him in the house, followed a few seconds later by myself with my weapon drawn and at the ready.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Pick some lotto numbers. Quick.
    Agreed.

No way am I going to clear anything, alone...When there is no immediate danger/need to rescue human beings of my own family.
    I'd instead stand outside and call the cops to ask they come and do that job for me as my proxy. That's what they train toward and are paid to do.
    I stay my butt in my car.

How many stories have we had posted in the Good, Bad & Ugly thread with people coming home to find burglars in wait or still within their home...Only to wind up assaulting, shooting or even killing the homeowner. There was one just two weeks ago!

No way, call the cops.
    If they find nothing then well count your blessings and move on.
    If they do though find someone, then well you are blessed that it was them in number rather than yourself alone as singular.

And yes, I have specifically trained in clearing structures including in a mock multi-floor multi-room 'condo' shoothouse.
    In my week long and intensive course I was the only student among the group to not get shot as either the BG or the cop (A LEO oriented course and I was the odd man out civilian).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Makes you nervous huh? It's still a major reason why people's homes get broken into, doors/windows left open or unlocked...believe it or not. Glad it wasn't serious and you had your gun if it was!
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I live in a place where people still leave there doors open for neighbors. But, we have had some issues this past year that seems to mark the end to such a fantasic and safe place to live.

I don't worry to much, because it seems unlikely that anyone would tempt fate and my two very sweet "BUT" protective pitbulls. Whenever we come home I look for their heads in the window. If I see them there, everything is copacetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockanista View Post
    Call the cops next time.
    This! Even if you think it may be a false alarm, there's nothing wrong with calling the police. They are public servants; they are there as a service to you.

You can even call them if there's a big rat on the floor and you don't want to pick it up. Yes, I'm serious and yes, its been done before.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links