Came home today and my door was wide open

This is a discussion on Came home today and my door was wide open within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DUNDEM That is a scary one. Had it happen before to as well. Swept the house anyway even though I believed it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Came home today and my door was wide open

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    That is a scary one. Had it happen before to as well. Swept the house anyway even though I believed it was just someone leaving the the door unlocked which it was.

^^^^BTDT^^^^^^^^^^^Got that tee shirt^^^^^

Went up north in a hurry with the wife and 3kids at the time,. Left in a hurry and somehow the door inside the garage leading into the house was left open.
    An eye opener for sure.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

moved from chicago to alabama thinking i would be able to relax a little about 15 years ago. come to find out athens al has its problems to. house got broke into about a week after i moved in.turned out the kid next door that i thought was nice to help me move my tv in thought it would look better in his buddys livingroom.

It's so easy to be tempted to go ahead and enter the home and clear it yourself. Easy to say, "It's probably nothing" or figuring if you were broke into, they are long gone and you won't be encountering anyone on the inside. Heck, I'd be tempted to want to go in and I've had 10 years swat experience clearing all kinds of structures. But Janq makes an excellent point. It is very difficult to clear a structure on your own and it's down right impossible to do it correctly and safely on your own. To encounter one armed intruder on the inside would be a bad thing, and if there are more than one armed intruders, it just gets worse from there. The best and safest thing to do is to remain outside and call the police as Janq suggests.

Still, most people don't want to go to that extreme or hassle for an open door on their home. People as a natural instinct tend to want to gamble that the odds are in their favor it will be no big deal. Heck, in my jurisdiction, calling the police would likely result in one lone deputy responding anyway. Still in that case, having worked with them on a tactical team, I would probably assist with the home clearing, in which case there would be two of us working the structure systematically thus improving the odds.

However, as Janq aptly points out, time and time again, homeowners get into serious trouble walking in on burglary crews when they catch them in the act after returning home. If you intend to clear your own home by yourself, you should know up front that the odds are against you if you encounter someone on the inside. Just because you are Joe Blow ccw holder, have a gun and 250 hours of watching crime dramas on TV under your belt doesn't mean jack if you don't have the skills to clear a structure safely and effectively.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

all good points guess next time time ill think harder before i act

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed.

No way am I going to clear anything, alone...I stay my butt in my car.

- Janq
    +1 on that. My immediate thought when I read the original post was "Why go into an unknown situation alone?" If I see the front door open and I know no one's at home, I'd call the house first. If no answer, I call the police.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It's so easy to be tempted to go ahead and enter the home and clear it yourself. Easy to say, "It's probably nothing" or figuring if you were broke into, they are long gone and you won't be encountering anyone on the inside. Heck, I'd be tempted to want to go in and I've had 10 years swat experience clearing all kinds of structures. But Janq makes an excellent point. It is very difficult to clear a structure on your own and it's down right impossible to do it correctly and safely on your own. To encounter one armed intruder on the inside would be a bad thing, and if there are more than one armed intruders, it just gets worse from there. The best and safest thing to do is to remain outside and call the police as Janq suggests.
    Still, most people don't want to go to that extreme or hassle for an open door on their home. People as a natural instinct tend to want to gamble that the odds are in their favor it will be no big deal. Heck, in my jurisdiction, calling the police would likely result in one lone deputy responding anyway. Still in that case, having worked with them on a tactical team, I would probably assist with the home clearing, in which case there would be two of us working the structure systematically thus improving the odds.

However, as Janq aptly points out, time and time again, homeowners get into serious trouble walking in on burglary crews when they catch them in the act after returning home. If you intend to clear your own home by yourself, you should know up front that the odds are against you if you encounter someone on the inside. Just because you are Joe Blow ccw holder, have a gun and 250 hours of watching crime dramas on TV under your belt doesn't mean jack if you don't have the skills to clear a structure safely and effectively.
    +1. I agree with all of bark's post but especially what I put in bold. I know in regards to my own home, I would not be able to safely do it, as I have multiple rooms that are opposite each other where I would be exposing my back to the other room while clearing the other room. That said, the wife and I are pretty good at closing all the doors, even bedrooms so we notice when somethings out of place. And just like bark'n, I am a LEO, not with the swat experience he has, but I would still call if I thought someone was in my home.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

In the situation you described, the wife and kid would immediately leave and go to a neighbor's house. I'd stay behind with the cellphone on 911 and keep an eye on the front of the house until the Sheriff arrives. They can clear it for me. If the BG's come out first, remember you are not a cop and you can't shoot them to protect your property (in most states). I don't know if I would even challenge them, but I would take some cellphone video.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Sounds like it is time for a home alarm system. Leaving the door open all day is unacceptable.
    NRA Life Member
    Indiana Lifetime permit holder
    USCCA member

I came home to my two-bedroom apartment after work to see the front (and only) door ajar and my roomie's Ford Explorer gone. He'd leave for work literally 10 -15 minutes before I'd arrive home from work.

Stupid me, I went in and cleared the apartment solo with Beretta 92FS in hand.

Turned out OK and I yelled at my room mate for not making sure that the door was locked & secure when he left.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links