Dark Parking Lot - How to handle w/ Pics

This is a discussion on Dark Parking Lot - How to handle w/ Pics within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, So heres the set up. The other night working a short shift I ran in to a problem and want to know how you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Parking Lot - How to handle w/ Pics

Dark Parking Lot - How to handle w/ Pics

Ok, So heres the set up. The other night working a short shift I ran in to a problem and want to know how you guys and girls would handle it.

I work on the local Highway cleaning the restrooms and stores between the hours of 2200 and 0800. one of the things I do is pull the trash inside and out. I arrived at this site around 0 dark hundred. the lights in the lot where out

This is the lot in question ( not flash used - and shows the light level well)

This was shot with a red filter and flash to help show the locations of truck.

It is about 100 yards to the back of the trucks plus the 63 feet to the cabs then an other 50 or so to the woods.

Line A is where I was standing for the pics- B is where the trash cans are.

in the dark How would you handle this alone and having to deal with the noise of the running trucks and having to empty the two trash cans.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

2. Remove Ads

If I had to make that trip I would probably stick near the truck with the white cab (the one nearest to the trees) and then circle to the rear to get the other cans. I would avoid getting too close to a lot of light so my eyes stay adjusted to the dark.

Are you able to carry on your job, I am assuming no?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I am not suppose to but being that I work alone and in a high risk location i am willing to break that work rule for my own safety and the safety of those around me.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***CCDL member***

Gun or no gun, keep your head on a swivel, you never know where some dirtbag could be hiding.
    I would be a 'bit' less concerned around the truckers as they are a pretty good bunch, but life has no guarantees.

Add a Surefire to your 'tools'...evildoers hate light.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; October 17th, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Have a good, bright light handy.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Are the blue dots the trash can locations?
    Do you use a vehicle, walk or what?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I walk with a large gray cart. and yes I carry a very bright flashlight. I dont worry about the truck drives but the people I worry about also know that the running trucks are hard to yell over.

Yes line B is the location of the two trash cans
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***CCDL member***

I would carry the brightest light possible and check my 360 with it as I moved towards the can,anybody trying to use the cover of darkness will lose their night vision if you hit them with the light,not only illuminating them,but giving you an advantage.

Hiding a shotgun in the garbage can might work well also.......A mind is a terrible thing to waste
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

buy a good headlamp so you can wear it at night and have both hands free

what is the threat, getting ran over or bg jumping you? i know in similar situations at truck stops and businesses that need things done at night. the policy could have been, no one went out by themselves or it waited till daylight. i noticed your sift over at 0800, could you wait till, ought 7 to throw out the trash?

I think that your direction of approach will be your greatest advantage. Going on the assumption that the picture is oriented N/S. I would move south down the lane east of the island east of the trucks, then approach the trucks and the trash container from the south. This will allow you to check the island east of the trucks and will provide the greatest clear area around you as you approach. Empty the container next to the island as you have just checked/cleared it. Then move back south a sufficient amount that you are not next to the front of the trucks and move west toward the other container, then move north to it and service it. Return the same route as you came. This will probably add fifty to a hundred yards to your travel, but I think it make it more difficult for someone to ambush or approach you unnoticed.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    You also might as well go ahead get your clothing/cover garment out of the way ahead of time.
    One less possible fumble out of the way should you need to react pronto.
    The area is so dark that nobody is really going to see your firearm anyway.

Throw in some pepper spray and a knife. I got my first flashlight because I had to walk around a dark warehouse and multiple delivery trucks. I would shine between trucks and under them as I was walking to the door. It's nice to be able to check out those dark corners.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Maybe I'm not "with it" enough, but generally the workers in a location such as this are seen as part of the local flora, and not as part of the revenue source. Hence, keep your head on a swivel and make it danged obvious that you are working, and not a truck driver or other such person. It helps if you have a good flashlight too, but I'd favor a MagLight, as it can be used as a defensive weapon too. I'd go so far as to make a lot of noise, drag my cart everywhere, and invest in one of those Safety Vest that can be seen for miles.

While the criminal element is not known for being the sharpest pencil in the drawer, most of them realize that the worker bees, such as yourself, aren't packing a wad of cash and are only just doing a job to get by. If you appear too much like a Tactical Charlie, or too stealthy, you will be doing a good imitation of someone that really isn't working. That will work, IMO, to your disadvantage. Just appear as you claim to be in this thread, a guy doing a job. As to carrying a gun against policy, no comment.

Biker

VIP Member
    A bright Light can be your friend. You can get a Browning or Energizer cap light led only about 30 lumen That will not illuminate anything until you are a few feet away or you can invest in a true White LED tactical flash light for self defense.

The Leupold MXc 421 #5948 is blinding at over 130 lumen and it has a fast strobe mode. There are more expensive models but this entry model should be adequate.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links