I thought someone tried pushing my door open

This is a discussion on I thought someone tried pushing my door open within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Monday night my wife, 7 y/o son and I are watching tv in the living room adjacent to the front door. BAng! .MY dog goes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought someone tried pushing my door open

I thought someone tried pushing my door open

Monday night my wife, 7 y/o son and I are watching tv in the living room adjacent to the front door. BAng! .MY dog goes nuts.....my son starts for the door.... MY wife froze....and I stopped my son.peak out the living room window and nobody is there. I am like "***" Told my wife and son to go upstairs to bedroom. My adrenalin is pumping! I only had my LCP in my pocket and my wife now has the M&P from the night stand. I was thinking wrong gun, the second I reached for it. I scanned the area again from living room and I see nothing but the dog is still going nuts. I go to the door and scan from the door and still nothing. I open the door and let her(the dog) out....She goes about 10 feet out barking and then stops and looks back at me with the "***" look. I took her to both sides of the house and nothing. Go back inside to calm down. After about 10 mins, I hear my 10 month old cat meow. I call and he doesnt come. Few mins later, "meeeeooooowwww" Again, I say ***. Start searching the house. Found him in the closet next to the front door. He knocked a box down in the closet ( makes sense now). @10 months old, this little guy gets into more crap and also made me check my pants too! With a sigh of relief, I was able to sleep that night.

Now the moral of the story for me is:
    A-Usually the LCP is my BUG, but I got lazy around the house. NOT any more. I will keep the .38 in the night stand, and carry a service caliber weapon on me when ever possible. Leave the LCP as a BUG only!
    B- Next time the cat decides to make me **** my pants, SHOOT the cat!! LOL Just kidding!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

2. Remove Ads

Great story... as a cat and dog owner I can totally relate.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Glad everything turned out ok. I had a cat that found my fishing poles (with lures still attached) and decided to play with them. Wound up with a treble hook in his lip, talk about a ticked off cat!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joecs1 View Post
    I open the door and let her(the dog) out....
    Good story and good ending, if nothing else it was a great practice run that gave you the opportunity to reflect on your actions.

I'm glad you cleared it up that "her" was the dog, any man that would open the door and send his wife out, has got one heckuva an awesome wife.

I had a similar story of lot's of banging going on at my front door late one night, it literally sounded like someone trying to break down the door. I woke my wife up, opened the door and sent her outside to see what..........oh wait, I'm fantasizing now, that's not how it went at all. I jumped out of bed, armed myself and went to check on the noise.

As it turned out, it was our dog and stray cat that got into a tussle on the porch, right at the front door, our dog was bumping the door while trying to get away from those cat claws. Now that I think of it, our dog may have actually been "knocking" on the door in hopes of someone rescuing him.

I'll have to get my wife to read this, she'll get a good laugh at the idea of sending her outside to see about a noise. She's a good sport (and CCW's)
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My wife usually beats me outside. Of course she is armed with her 6906 and not afraid of much. Sometimes I have to remind her slow down and wait for Me...

very good post by all. I had to chuckle at you guys with your humor. Thanks for the smile. By the way, we probably should all have a few false alarms just so it will show us how we act for the real alarms.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

You can't tell the difference between the cat knocking a box over in the closet and someone hitting your front door............? Hmmmmm.............sounds like paranoia has really set in.
    It's funny that when the SHTF one always wishes they had the biggest gun they could get.................start carrying a .45 and leave the pea shooters for the women and kids.

Booooooooo..........

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Hmmmmm.............sounds like paranoia has really set in.
    At one time our homes were considered our castles, though with the increase of home invasions, lots of folks are on-edge and rightly so. I intend to be pro-active and diligent to protect my home and family, call it paranoia or whatever, but I will not be complacent and have my family wind up like that doctor's family in Connecticut.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My only criticism is....if the door is holding someone back (i.e. you're thinking someone is trying to break in), why did you open the door? You assume there is one person....when it might be more than one.

I say, get into a defensive position, and either call 911 or prepare to (or have your wife do so)....don't give in to curiosity without a plan...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I tend to stay inside and resist going outside to investigate noises. Too many ambush points on the outside for a lone person to be investigating. I would rather work from outside the perimeter moving in towards the house then go from the inner sanctum moving out into the unknown. Just a few months ago, it was reported in this forum of a man who went outside to investigate a noise and was shot and killed as he went around to the side of the house by someone laying in wait.

Just about everything I have outside my home is secured and insured. I prefer to "lay in wait" on the inside. Once they gain entry, I own them. And our castle doctrine law prohibits the scumbags family from suing me for giving them a quick trip to the funeral home.

I'm glad everything turned out okay!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    If you watch "cops" you see those cases where the LEOs institute the "drug bust". They yell "police" and within a second of yelling the door is broken open and a bunch of hooded guys come rushing in yelling "police", after they got out of their unmarked cars and trucks. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you have done nothing wrong and they are at the wrong house. I definitely know at night if someone forces my locked bedroom door open, they will meet a 12g. Something is very wrong with the above supposedly "legal scenario". I understand why it is done and why it is done the way it is done, but IF (a very big word) they made a mistake and it is my house, there is a good chance that a 12g will be their welcome--how the heck was I suppose to know that the unidentified men and cars were the real deal--just because they yell "police" as they break my door down? Case just highlighted on USA Carry where the hooded guys ID'd as ATF but it was really a home invasion.

Didn't mean anything in an offensive manner...........but...........again the cat in the closet and the box leads someone to believe you
    guys are home sittin' on the couch shivering and bittin' your finger nails.
    Good point though, if your that concerned why open the door and venture out in the dark alone....?

Better rethink your defensive plan for your families sake and stay safe.

Thanks all for the input! As far as going outside, My porch is elevated, landscaping is light and well manicured. I can see from my living room, both sides of the garden beds, clear on both sides. I have security lights on all 4 corners of the house,( all off, no motion), and the one at the garage goes on when we step out onto the porch, which it did when the dog went out. I am pretty comfortable with that set-up. After posting this yesterday, I went home and told my wife and son what a good job they did. As soon as I said go up stairs, they did not hesitate.
    I understand the thought process, of taking a defensive position and caling police. But from where I was sitting, It was just a slight lean to see outside the front door. As it happened, I didnt see anything. Then I checked 2 times before going out, dog 1st. Had I seen the security lights on, my course of action would have been more defensive I think. I do remember looking for the lights. I dont think I would have gone out with those lights on. And I will keep saying "think" because as much as we prepare for situations, it is very difficult to account for adrenalin.
    As far as not being able to tell the difference between the box falling in the closet and my front door being pushed in..... the box was about 3 feet long (VERY HEAVY-commercial roll of wrapping paper) and fell toward the door of the closet and pushed on that door. and as far as carrying my biggest gun. that would be the S&W 686. I prefer to carry more rounds of 9mm 147gr HP.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Never offended. all advise is welcomed.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"