Scenario training - Page 2

Scenario training

This is a discussion on Scenario training within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the first scenario, aren't you breaking the law in your state? Actually, it sounds pretty cool....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In the first scenario, aren't you breaking the law in your state?

Actually, it sounds pretty cool.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Now I remember! haha..yeah, no movement, predetermined path. But it was great for gauging reaction, decision and aim
    For what it was, it was great. Especially when you consider that we had this on base!
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Sounds like a great class to take. Are there any near MI?

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Great Post!

You would not believe the grief I get when I tell people that a pocket pistol is not a good choice for a pcw. I also feel the same about revolvers; and I get flak about that as well. But, after I run these people through a couple of dynamic training drills they usually come around.

Thanks again for sharing!

ETA;
    I think I'll contact them about buying a francise as well.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    In the first scenario, aren't you breaking the law in your state?

Actually, it sounds pretty cool.
    In my state, no. Oregon has one of the best carry laws in the nation. One reason why I stay here and put up with the liberal politics.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

We get the same reactions when we conduct Force on Force classes. It also lays waste to the mindset of "well, at least I've got my pocket pistol!" Um, sure. Makes you want to find a way to carry your full size gun all the time, doesn't it? I just wish more people would take this kind of training, instead of just shooting paper all the time.

BTW, I grew up in Oregon, and yes, the CCW laws there are better than most others. Once you leave the I-5 corridor, and get to the rest of the state, it gets a lot better.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    In my state, no. Oregon has one of the best carry laws in the nation. One reason why I stay here and put up with the liberal politics.
    EDIT: I just noticed this sub-section of ORS 166.370. Awesome. I knew I liked Oregon for some reason. :D

Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
    A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

----------------Original Post Below-------------------

You may want to double-check before walking into a university with your pistol. From the way I read the Oregon statutes, you'd be in for a Class C Felony.

Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 166.360: Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380.
    Public building means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university...

ORS 166.370: Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building
    Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

RKM
    I was to do this so bad. There have been times I'm out and about, just trying to practice situational awareness and think a random scenario and honestly have NO idea what I'd do. Some scenarios are simple enough, but there are some where it's best to just run, run, RUN! I want and need training. I'm certainly not just some random idiot out there with a gun without a clue, but I think any civilian, even LEO's could use better training.

I think the BIGGEST thing's are avoiding tunnel vision, moving and mostly do NOT hesitate. I think hesitation would be my main problem, trying to asses what's going on and think about if I need to shoot and who I need to shoot and by that time, I may already be dead.

The only thing that's going to help is experience and this type of training is the closest to real life experience you're going to safely get.

Practicing accuracy at the range won't get you very far in a defense situation. It helps, as does practicing double taps while drawing from concealment. But I (we all) need more training. I'm actually irritated that PA does not require some sort of training to acquire an LTCF.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links