Pay attention to those gut feelings (spidey senses)......

This is a discussion on Pay attention to those gut feelings (spidey senses)...... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; atctimmy points out a very effective technique used to profile potential nogoodnicks and allow you to scrutinize them further. It is not the end-all-be-all answer, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pay attention to those gut feelings (spidey senses)......

atctimmy points out a very effective technique used to profile potential nogoodnicks and allow you to scrutinize them further. It is not the end-all-be-all answer, however it is an enormously effective technique.

As Tala pointed out, there can always be a well practiced bad guy who will make himself look less suspicious than merely loitering around with no apparent purpose. For example, a bad guy who looks like he's attempting to change a flat tire would give him the opportunity to loiter in a general area as he looks for a target to hit, yet appears to the casual observer like he has a reason for being there. He's changing a tire. So, obviously that profile technique would likely miss that person. However, again, it is an effective means of picking out a lot of thugs and does work. Thanks for posting that timmy!

I don't ignore gut feelings or my spidey sense. Unlike others, I have had my spidey sense go off many times which turned out that nothing nefarious happened. However, that is no reason to ignore it! I have on many occasions where something did go down, where my spidey sense alerted me in advance and I was able to either avoid the situation altogether, or mitigate it where I didn't get hurt.

Just like the technique atctimmy related has the potential to miss some well versed criminals, so can your gut feeling go off without a real threat being present. That's no reason to ignore when your gut or "spidey sense" speaks to you.

Trust your instincts and utilize as many techniques as you can for spotting trouble in advance and you'll less likely become a victim.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Instincts are important...remember that "Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck." example? Dirtbags are no different.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good tip, atctimmy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Good tip, atctimmy.
    I'd like to take the credit for it but I got that info from someone else here on DC. I would like to give them the credit but I've forgotten who it was.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Here is where the trick comes in. Look at what people are doing, are they on a mission? Yes? Then move on to the next person. When you find someone not doing anything you can figure out right away then this is a person that bears more scrutiny.
    Loitering (doing nothing, being purposeless somewhere) is certainly one of the little anomalies that bears scrutiny, particularly in a place that has a crowd for some reason ... ie, Wal-Mart for the discount deals, Starbuck's for the I.V. injection, the cement benches around city hall's water fountain for staff on a short break (watching the clock) or for people-watching, etc. Those few who have no purpose (mission) can stand out a bit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

jfl
    Great advice, Thanks !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links