Spidey senses ...my Walmart experience last night. - Page 4

Spidey senses ...my Walmart experience last night.

This is a discussion on Spidey senses ...my Walmart experience last night. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I'm glad everything turned out all right. Your narrative was riveting, I could see it clearly. At one time, many years ago, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    First of all, I'm glad everything turned out all right. Your narrative was riveting, I could see it clearly. At one time, many years ago, I imagined myself your kind of guy. Now, I'm close to 70, overweight and out of shape. I've got ostioarthritis in every joint. Two years ago I had a right hip total replacement and today I scheduled the same for my left hip.(early Jan. 2011) Until then, I limp with a cane. Some day you too will be old. Hopefully in better shape. How would you have handled the situation if you were in my shoes? By the way, when dressed in anything that doesn't require a belt, think Smart Carry.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    First of all, I'm glad everything turned out all right. Your narrative was riveting, I could see it clearly. At one time, many years ago, I imagined myself your kind of guy. Now, I'm close to 70, overweight and out of shape. I've got ostioarthritis in every joint. Two years ago I had a right hip total replacement and today I scheduled the same for my left hip.(early Jan. 2011) Until then, I limp with a cane. Some day you too will be old. Hopefully in better shape. How would you have handled the situation if you were in my shoes? By the way, when dressed in anything that doesn't require a belt, think Smart Carry.

Thank you for the advice.

As for your question. I honestly don't have an answer. Being open, and no disrepect meant at all, one of my biggest fears is growing old(er). I know, it's ridiculous and something I have no control over and quite inevitable lol.

As bigger guy (just shy of 6'/260), at 36 I already feel the effects of my wreckless, physically active past and still somewhat present. Tendinitis (sp?) in one elbow really bad, bursitis in one shoulder to where it's tough to sleep at night, no cartilage in one knee and very little remaining in the other (put off surgery for years now), severe nerve damage in my neck from a several injuries (the last and worst 10 yrs ago), approx.10-11 concussions which I feel has led to some memory loss and a migraine disorder.

I drive on every day in some sort of pain or another. I really worry about what shape I will be in at 70. Quite honestly, I hope to make it to 70. I don't put the odds in my favor though. Both parents deceased at 51 and 52 respectively. Might have alot to do with my "@alls to the wall" lifestyle from 22-32.

So...after my brief personal posting....I really don't know how I would have handled it had I been 70 and not 36. I'm sure, at 70, I will still be "me" with slight changes due to age, time and hopefully wisdom. I will be the same over protective, over observant, fighting spirit that I am. Some things you just can't take from a man. But I know I wont have the physical abilities I have now.

Great question btw. Made me think....about a subject I try to mentally avoid lol...but made me think all the same.

I can't yet relate to your situation, but I probably will someday. With the debilitating effects of arthritis, I cannot imagine what I would do in such a situation... However.. my guess is that such an occurence would not be as likely to transpire against a senior citizen with a cane. THUGG figures anyone can do dat... I'ma show big dude there (EB31)he "ain't all that ."

But GG, I would do this... you've gotten used to carrying a cane... hopefully after the other side (hip) is done, you'll be in better balance... but don't lose that cane. There is a self defense course/series/method whatever you might call it... called Cane Fu. Started by a couple of guys with a site called canemasters.com... I'm sure they may have some schools in Fl. might be worth checking out.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    First of all, great job in your SA, and keeping your family safe.

Secondly, if you know this manager or not, when he blew off your questions like "Why is he still working here", I would immediately PRY for this kids name, if the manager refused to give it and the guy was in the near proximity, I'd go over and take his picture in case of needing to ID him, I would then ask for the next higher up manager, and complain about the rogue employee, and the managers lack of concern (assuming the higher level manager is responsive. )

Thirdly, I would contact Walmart corperate, and complain about the rogue employee, and careless manager. Friend or not, thats unacceptable. I would also to make sure to have documented, or remebered as close to the specific location, and time it happened, so it can be pulled up and viewed on the camera if needed.

As others have already posted, in this economy, I'm sure there is MORE than plenty of workers that could dress, and act more appropriate, and I'd be willing to bet, even do a better job.

The infirmities brought on by activities, disease or age all fit into the disparity of force equation. They provide the justification for the implementation of tactics and weapons use to equalize a confrontation. The choice of weapon type and use to create this equalization must be determined by the individual faced with the dilemma.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That made me think pretty hard at 6'4 285 and mid twenties I feel comfortable taking on most physical task with the strenght god gave me and my 14 years worth of football and 9 years worth of wrestling but my stack of injuries is impressive on its own and while not to bothersome now what will the be in 20 years i see my dad who was strong as could be turning wrenches everyday and all that goes with that slowly but surely lose that strength ill never forget when i turned 15 i thought i was a BA and could take him ha that old man whooped my but like i was a 5 year old fightin bruce lee but now several years later i know beyond a dout i could take him (no want need or will to do so now though) but it makes you think about the infamous "one day" great post to make us think GunGeezer
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    EB31--yeah, those days of feeling invincible, running up and down Ardennes street, shouting out cadence, yelling at all the "Legs", "putting your knees in the breeze" and humping rucks are quite heady and exhilirating. [been there--2 tours at Bragg-{along with a few other places}, my last time at Bragg overlapping with your time there--we probably passed each other on Ardennes]

But, yeah, the payback in later years is not nearly so much fun..... But, even if they had told us about that payback, we probably wouldn't have listened.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Thats what you get for shopping at walmart.

This is not snarky: but....If you had a .380 available you could have carried that.

:)

Thanks for posting. I'm not surprised by anything by anyone at this point. Good reminder of how a simple trip minding your own business with yor family can turn into something. I always carry pepper spray whether I'm carrying or not (someplaces I can't). If he got in my space, I believe I would have Texas Peted his wannabe bad self. Nothing good happens after someone gets in your space...that buys you time to act/retreat. With family present, at the first sign of crap tell the wife to take the kids to the car and be ready to roll.

PS. Apparently some athletic jerseys are also symbollic of gang affiliations. I'm not sure how the rest of the non-gang world is supposed to know this and should avoid certain player numbers of certain teams of certain colors. I alleviate this by not wearing athletic jerseys. I wear Hawaiian shirts mostly...no gangs are so bad yet as to wear flowers. I, though, am a dude over 250lbs wearing flowers...I better be somewhat confident in a number of areas of my life to pull that off.

Glad it turned out OK. Contact Wal Mart corporate and file a complaint against the employee and the manager for not dealing with him. Unacceptable. Get a S&W 442 or LCP to carry in sweat pants. Easy light carriers.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Thank you for the advice.

As for your question. I honestly don't have an answer. Being open, and no disrepect meant at all, one of my biggest fears is growing old(er). I know, it's ridiculous and something I have no control over and quite inevitable lol.

As bigger guy (just shy of 6'/260), at 36 I already feel the effects of my wreckless, physically active past and still somewhat present. Tendinitis (sp?) in one elbow really bad, bursitis in one shoulder to where it's tough to sleep at night, no cartilage in one knee and very little remaining in the other (put off surgery for years now), severe nerve damage in my neck from a several injuries (the last and worst 10 yrs ago), approx.10-11 concussions which I feel has led to some memory loss and a migraine disorder.

I drive on every day in some sort of pain or another. I really worry about what shape I will be in at 70. Quite honestly, I hope to make it to 70. I don't put the odds in my favor though. Both parents deceased at 51 and 52 respectively. Might have alot to do with my "@alls to the wall" lifestyle from 22-32.

So...after my brief personal posting....I really don't know how I would have handled it had I been 70 and not 36. I'm sure, at 70, I will still be "me" with slight changes due to age, time and hopefully wisdom. I will be the same over protective, over observant, fighting spirit that I am. Some things you just can't take from a man. But I know I wont have the physical abilities I have now.

Great question btw. Made me think....about a subject I try to mentally avoid lol...but made me think all the same.
    I'm 42, a large guy, and have just in the last couple of years started REALLY feeling the affects of health issues. I now struggle with tennis elbow, planter fasciitis, knee injections, back issues, broken tail bone issues, etc. I move slower with a slight limp and more painfully and I know I would struggle in a physical altercation from what I would just 2 years ago. Some of this is just what I'm dealing with at this particular time, but as my father in law says, "it don't get no better." It will always be something bothering you all the time.

There comes a time in a man's life when he stops busting knuckles and starts busting caps...I have realized my time. Pepper spray and get away. If you can't get away, prepare to defend. That's about all you can do.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My best friend whom I worked with for 35 yrs. is 6'-1", 260lbs. and a former Chicago Bear. He was a high school and college all star and after pro ball went into construction where we met. We are the same age. He has 2 new knees, back surgery, and is a brittle diabetic. He still suffers from back, wrist and leg injuries from his football career and served a tour in Nam. Together we make a sight. We look like poster boys for orthopedic surgeons, bionic men as we've been called. We still sit around and retell old stories about the battles, the booze and the jobs we did over the past 50 years. About how we'd go from our full time job to a side job with a bottle of Blue Nun wine and a pack of Slim Jims as dinner, work till 1-2 in the morning and go home, take a shower and go back to work. Now, when we visit at each others house, after 7 pm he's asleep in the recliner and I'm napping on the couch. What a cruel joke old age is. We still talk tough and try to strut our stuff, but we both know we're harmless. I still don't think I'd want to mess with him. Thank God for Samuel Colt!

Thanks for sharing.

Makes me realize how important SA is.

Get a holster you can use with sweats or stop wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm 42, a large guy, and have just in the last couple of years started REALLY feeling the affects of health issues. I now struggle with tennis elbow, planter fasciitis, knee injections, back issues, broken tail bone issues, etc. I move slower with a slight limp and more painfully and I know I would struggle in a physical altercation from what I would just 2 years ago. Some of this is just what I'm dealing with at this particular time, but as my father in law says, "it don't get no better." It will always be something bothering you all the time.

There comes a time in a man's life when he stops busting knuckles and starts busting caps...I have realized my time. Pepper spray and get away. If you can't get away, prepare to defend. That's about all you can do.
    Quick note here...I had pretty bad plantar fasciatis in one foot. For months. Then one day I was out digging with a shovel, long and hard. I figured I'd be crippled next day (I use my legs when shovelling...press down hard on the shovel with my foot).

Next day...it was gone. Never really been back. Some stiffness once in awhile, nothing more. And I've done some shovelling since...and if it comes back, that's what I'm gonna do again!

As for tennis elbow, I've had it twice and with physical therapy, gotten rid of it twice. If I hadnt done the exact same thing when I got it the 2nd time, it wouldnt have come back (using a power drill up over my head to hang curtains....cases were yrs apart....each came when I moved into a new home.).

So have faith, perhaps you can beat some of those ailments.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Thanks 9mmare. Some of it is just temporary stuff and some more long term issues that come and go at times. The knee issues will undoubtedly require surgery at some point...the injections are just a temporary fix. I had Hoffa's Disease in my right knee 9 years ago and had some stuff removed from me knee which made it rattle like a sack of bones. There's something awry in there, but the injections have made it tolerable until the new Ortho surgeon comes to town in December. The plantar fasciitis seemed to get much better after taking the meds for the knee and staying off of it. I rolled a baseball under my foot for about a week while taking the anti-inflamitories which helped and got some shoe inserts. It still gets stiff sometimes, but not as bad as it was. The tail bone issue comes and goes. I've broken my tail bone (pushed up and to one side) 4 times in 17 years. I can't sit or stand for long...have to be up and down moving around. The PT showed me exercises to get it back aligned when it's a little off kilter, but when it's full tilt out of place, I'm completely incapacitated. Spent the night on the floor before feeling like an elephant was standing on my backside. It's always something hurting all the time...perhaps just the same pain moving around to different spots. Too old to fight, too slow to run. When everything does feel good, I go play golf!!! Seems to be about once a month.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links