Spidey senses ...my Walmart experience last night.

This is a discussion on Spidey senses ...my Walmart experience last night. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This ties into Chaplain Scott's thread, but I didn't want to hijack. So...my wife and I just bought a second house with some land and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spidey senses ...my Walmart experience last night.

Spidey senses ...my Walmart experience last night.

This ties into Chaplain Scott's thread, but I didn't want to hijack.

So...my wife and I just bought a second house with some land and have been busy night and day cleaning, painting, remodeling etc.(Tacman, thats why I've been out of contact).

Anyway. I carry all the time. It's almost a no brainer....execpt for last night. I'm working in the house and wearing a old baseball jersey and running pants. About 6pm I decide I need another gallon of prime and had forgotten to get sandpaper. So I head out with the fam to Walmart. Figured the kids could get a new Wonder Pets or Dora dvd to keep them busy :)

Before leaving the house I actually debated changing into jeans so I could carry in my normal setup (I really need to find a holster to carry in running/athletic pants). I decided against it and left the house with no gun. But did grab my fixed blade and tucked it and its sheeth in my waistband.

We get there, get all that I need and the wife decides she wants to go for a simple dinner of sandwiches....good idea. We head over to the deli. This is where the spidey senses come into play......

Wife is ordering, I'm with the two girls and the cart when I get the overwhelming urge to check my six. I look back to see a 19-20 yr old coming towards me. He's wearing baggy jeans, Jordan sneakers a tshirt with a light jacket. As he's walking at a decent clip, he's pulling at his clothes...adjusting the shoulders of the jacket....yanking up on the legs of the jeans. Some of you would recognize this as the "pre-fight" moves of someone in that age group. Immediate flags went off, I'm in high orange and calmy move the cart (with my girls) behind me...incase I have to meet this threat head on. But maybe...just maybe he's coming for deli meat too. Maybe not.

Now I'm not saying that I am the most intimidating looking person in the world. I'm not. But I dont give off this air of "hey, come talk to me!" lol If anything I wreak of "Back off, I dont want to be bothered". So for someone to ever just walk right up to me for whatever reason....they either have to be seriously looking for trouble or not quite right in the head.

So here comes this kid....walks right up to me. Im looking right at him, watching his hands...as he walks right into my "bubble". At this point Im a little uncomfotable with his closeness, fully in orange-borderline red as I perceive him to be a threat....and am getting a little aggrevated that he would have the stones to get that close.

He starts with the typical warm up to you/distract you "hey man, nice jersey". Its said with a real sly tone that I recognized from years of dealing with scum on the streets of Jersey and NYC. Next came.."You aint from around here are you?". To which my wife immediately took hold of the cart and kids and moved several yards away lol I love her, she knows me all too well. She told me later she saw him, didnt like his movements, saw me see him, saw the look on my face, knew I wasnt liking his questions and thought best to clear out lol

I say to him, "You can go ahead of us (even though we were mid order) you look like you're in a hurry." He then says exactly what I needed to hear to tell me my caution was well placed, "Naw, I dont need nothing." Which told me he was there singling me out...for whatever reason.

I figured lets see where this is going...to a point. I respond, "Whats with all the questions? You just that friendly or did I look lonely?"

He responds, "Naw naw man, its all good. Its real good." Followed by "So....you aint from here? So lemme guess....ummm...dont tell me....NC? No no...Detroit? Naw, I bet you're from like NY or someplace tough like that s##t right?" All of this said with a real sly tone, def. attempting to either distract me or read me. The whole time I just look at him...watching....you can clearly tell Im not happy. Even the girls behind the counter stopped working and one went to the in house phone. I know me...I know my looks and body language....I guess it was pretty obvious to everyone around that I had an issue with this kid.

I purposely let him stay in my bubble...maybe two feet from me....and for good reason. Right then he reaches for his waistband/belt and I go for my edc fixed blade as I closed that two foot to within inches....he throws his hands up and starts with the "yo man! I aint got no gun! I aint got nothing!"

I see a mgr coming over. I knew him...lives by us. He asked if everything ok and I explain to him what happened or almost happened. He then turns and tells the kid to go back into the back and get back to work! He works there!? The mgr apologized and continues on to tell me they've had trouble with him in the past harassing customers and how he thinks hes a big tough guy in the town and tries to intimidate ppl. Im like what??!! So I say calmly, "and he still has a job here?" "Do I need to tell you what almost happened? What could have happened?" "You have a punk employee harassing paying customers, asking oddball questions and making threatening moves towards his waitband acting like he has a gun...and you send him back to work?"

Mgr had no answer. Asked us if we found everything ok and if we needed him to just have him paged. lol Unreal.

Needless to say I went straight to work...on my off day...and filled out a detailed incident report. Just incase this becomes an issue down the road.

All in all...Im confident of my physical abilities. I liked knowing I had my knife on me and know how to use it. Still wish I was carrying as I should have been. But dont think that I would have done anything different. I wouldnt have drawn my weapon. I would have put my hand on it, just as I reached for my knife. There was a nanosecond of difference of him putti.g his hands up and me pulling my knife. Would like to think the same would be said if I were carrying.

In the end...I am, as always, thatnkful for my intuition, senses, gut instincts, alertness, SA...whatever you want to call it. And again, am so proud of my wife for being in tune with me, alert and heads up, and quick to act with our daughters safety her priority.

While this was a non event....it was seconds away from being a major event. Even my wife commented on the way to file a report how she thought the kid was done. She said she saw me go for my knife and immediately hurried the kids further away.....for obvious reasons.

Anyway. Im not much into posting encounters ot this and that. But thought this could be useful if for nothing else but to show how quickly an innocent trip to the store can turn sideways when you have some knucklehead trying to show off and act tough.

Sadly, its the world we live in these days.

Funny part...if anything light can come of this....my 3 yr old daughter said in the car, "Daddy I love you! You didnt shoot that bad man. My daddy, the boss and the alpha male" Kids. lol Not kidding either...she tells random strangers that her daddy is "da both(boss) an da alphamill!" lol. I get her on vid one day and post it. Its too funny.

Well, back to painting.

2. Remove Ads

Wow... Good job and thanks for sharing.

Glad it turned out OK. Does your wife carry too? I just don't understand what would make someone approach a total stranger and engage in that type of exchange. Doubt he'll have that job much longer...

Call Walmart and file a complaint

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Good story--glad that, like mine, it was a non-event in reality--but you just NEVER know--any time, any where!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Exactly what I would do. Or go into the store and ask to talk to someone. At big chain stores like Walmart there is always someone that deals with "customer relations"
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

I would have shown him how tuff a NYer is. After kicking the snot out of the kid, I would have taken a sharpie marker and drawn the NY yankee logo on his forehead.

Great SA.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I would have shown him how tuff a NYer is. After kicking the snot out of the kid, I would have taken a sharpie marker and drawn the NY yankee logo on his forehead.

Great SA.

Love the suggestion. Go Yanks! I will be calling Walmart corperate. No way that kid is still employed this time next week.

whatever happened to employees wearing tags and uniforms for that matter too?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    One of my reason's to not only have my .45 - but my .38 snubby too. Even in gym shorts (small pockets) I'm still gonna be armed.

Good post.
    For God, Family and Country!

I was wondering about the telltale yellow tag, too, but maybe he was a box shuffler out back and not supposed to be up front. Maybe he was even mildly mentally handicapped, which might explain his quirky behavior and shuffling of his clothes. You just never know. I get approached by agencies now and then to hire the handicapped. I imagine a chain like wally world has to employ so many to get some break from the gov't. And since they don't have baggers... If that's the case, this kid was "oversold" to whoever hired him.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I was wondering about the telltale yellow tag, too, but maybe he was a box shuffler out back and not supposed to be up front. Maybe he was even mildly mentally handicapped, which might explain his quirky behavior and shuffling of his clothes. You just never know. I get approached by agencies now and then to hire the handicapped. I imagine a chain like wally world has to employ so many to get some break from the gov't. And since they don't have baggers... If that's the case, this kid was "oversold" to whoever hired him.

Good question about id. He had nothing on that would id him as an employee. Im a decent judge of character and have spent alot of time around those with disabilities...on both ends of the spectrum. I couldnt pick up any discernable (sp?) handicaps from this kid. What I did read was he was trying to come off like a hard a$$. I deal with the same body language daily. He was trying to buck up and show that he was a somebody.

I personally think he's related to someone that was jailed at one time or another and probably picked me out from description. Im a decent CO who treats ppl with the level of respect that they show me. So who knows...could hqve been a.relative of someone I had to do a cell.extraction on or just someone that didnt like the way I look. You never know these days why ppl do what they do.

Its just another reminder of why we carry and why we prepare ourselves like we do. I failed to stay armed....but managed to stay alert. I wont be going out unarmed again. This much I know.

Glad it all turned out ok for you. It will remind you to always carry, even if you have to inconvenience yourself.

Wow. I am surprised Walmart continues his employment. Mgr too, for that matter...
    they've had trouble with him in the past harassing customers and how he thinks hes a big tough guy in the town and tries to intimidate ppl.
    Jobs are scarce enough in this economy... and while I realize Wallmart doesn't pay that well, there are some folks who could really use that job... And there's no way on earth I would, as a manger tolerate that type of behavior from one of my employees. One chance maybe... But recurring, NO WAY, not even if he's handicapped, not even if he's otherwise disadvantaged.

I can see your going hi-orange... and maybe even nano-seconds away from drawing... but you didn't say anything about trying to de-escalate. I think I might have called negative attention to him, telling him to leave, back-off, whatever. I wouldn't expect (myself or you) to back down necessarily... but I wouldn't have gotten so "up close and personal" unless and until he continued to advance.

Ah yes, and then I see your employment as a CO and it all makes much more sense now... After your time dealing with the "type," your senses and responses go higher, more rapidly of necessity.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    1-800-Walmart

It does not get any easier. The local store got back with me in a day or so, over Christmas. I've gone away from sweats and such for the reason you mentioned. I don't want to change. So I just wear it all the time. And good catch seeing this coming.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links