Police Brutality - How do you respond?

This is a discussion on Police Brutality - How do you respond? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 This is the second police brutality thread in as many weeks....is this something a lot of people are worried about?? Seriously? ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police Brutality - How do you respond?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

This is the second police brutality thread in as many weeks....is this something a lot of people are worried about?? Seriously?
    Where do these scenarios come from??
    I know there is a link to a video, but I'll start to think about how I'll react in that situation when me and my wife are felons. Until then, I'll put my efforts into protecting my family and myself from BG's. Obviously only my opinion
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    You're driving home with your significant other. Police pulls you over. Asks you and your loved one(s) to step out of the car. While doing so, your significant other asks, "Why officer? We haven't done anything wrong!".

The officer cuffs your significant other and then proceeds to punching her to the head 13 times, and then uses a taser shock. Your S.O. lies on the ground unconscious and helpless while the officer continues his attack.

You are carrying your usual. What do you do?

(Motivational Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuKAQ...eature=related)
    Not much you can do. Any escalation will result in your death. In this case, take an ass kicking and become rich in the ensuing lawsuit.

Oh and not be in the situation to begin with by hanging out at drug houses ;)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Where do these scenarios come from??
    The "reptilian" portion of our brains, the amygdala. Its the part that makes us believe everything around us is dangerous until proven otherwise. Works great for a frog. Works great for keeping up SA. Doesn't work so great when it comes to keeping it all in perspective. For that, G-d invented benzos and anti-depressant, therapists and philosophers, kindly Grandparents and higher brain functions which impart knowledge of the boundaries of reality. When we lose track of that reality, we become quivering bowls of shimmering Jello, afraid to venture out of our house because of some implausible scenarios.

No win situation. You have to choose:

1) Defend wife, maybe get shot, go to prison, or slim chance get acquitted.

2) Don't defend wife, 100% chance of having to live with her for X years with the wrath of "you stood there and let him beat me like a dirty rug and didn't do squat....yada, yada, yada."

Think I'd rather take my chances with the justice system.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    No win situation. You have to choose:

1) Defend wife, maybe get shot, go to prison, or slim chance get acquitted.

That's the part that bothers me. When did one mans word become more credible than anothers just because he wears a badge? There have been thousands of complaints filed against cops that turned out to be bad. So, why would a citizen's word about what happened not matter just because a cop is involved? I got nothing against cops, but I don't think that a cops life is more valuable or more important than a common citizen that leads a productive honest life. I know I'm gonna get jumped on for saying that, but think about it. Is a cops life more important than a citizens life because he's in law enforcement, when there are thousands of citzens that put their lives on the line to save others every year?
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Crap scenerio.
    Why would an LEO pull the driver out, cuff the passenger--leaving the driver uncuffed and able to respond?--and then proceed to beat the woman, all while ignoring the driver? I guess the LEO hates women and sees men as no threat.
    I know, it doesn't make any sense. I guess I'd have to be in that situation, but I believe one would have a better chance of winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by centermass View Post
    That's the part that bothers me. When did one mans word become more credible than anothers just because he wears a badge?
    The moment thousands of statutes were created, the moment a special "law enforcement" class was created. It was inevitable, that such a special class would be presumed truthful, while the accused would be presumed likely guilty. It's prejudicial bias, pure and simple. The only real way to thwart that is to have a rock-solid defense and to knock the stuffing out of them. Expensive, hard to do sometimes, but that's the "game" such as it is. Compared to any one of scores of crappy alternatives around the world, I'd still prefer this one. By and large, the balance are in place and functional. So long as we keep honest judges, we've got a chance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You have got to be kidding on the premise of this thread. I can see an impersonator, I can understand that you are a sleaze to begin with and LEOs were looking for you and chasing you and the mention of a firearm was in their equation. The rest of this scenario is pure baloney.

VIP Member
    re:kelcarry concerning post #38.

I truly do agree with you that the scenario is not a realistic one, however, our Texas legislature clearly anticipated something of the sort when they passed the code cited by Farronwolf above.

I don't know when that was passed, I don't know the legislative history. I have to assume something happened which brought the possibility of a citizen needing to use lethal force against an abusive LE to the legislator's attention with sufficient public backing that the code was included in our law.

I have no idea how unique our law is within the US. Maybe we are the only state with the specific provision. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

So while the scenario may be "pure baloney," it is clearly not one which was inconceivable to our legislature.

There is no women in the video and they are at a known drug house in which the driver fled and the passenger is resisting so they say. Although I do not agree with the 13 punches to the head the officer obviously over reacted. But the guy should not have resisted and probably would not have went the way it did.
    So I am a little confused at the scenario because if your not doing anything wrong I don't see why an swore officer would cuff your wife and punch her in the head I just don't think that would happen. I am not saying that it could not happen but not very likely and if it did I would get a good attorney.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Hopyard: Texas may have a law and you may be right if you decide to defend your better half against a beating but I will bet you that you will be dead right. Common sense would say that you have every right to defend yourself and others against a beating and potentially lethal force but correct common sense would say that if it is against a group of armed LEOs or, for that matter, a group of armed anything, you will die along with the person you are supposedly protecting. There really is no good answer to this thread except if you are Dirty Harry or Rambo and that is just in the movies.

The odds of such an occurrence, as has been mentioned befor, are even beyond rare although not impossible.
    What I consider even more rare, ala rarer than rare, is that there would be other cops present at such an even that would not intervene and stop it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Hopyard: Texas may have a law and you may be right if you decide to defend your better half against a beating but I will bet you that you will be dead right. Common sense would say that you have every right to defend yourself and others against a beating and potentially lethal force but correct common sense would say that if it is against a group of armed LEOs or, for that matter, a group of armed anything, you will die along with the person you are supposedly protecting. There really is no good answer to this thread except if you are Dirty Harry or Rambo and that is just in the movies.
    I thoroughly agree with you. It is a no win situation. I stated that, that if you find yourself in that situation you are going to lose. However, if somehow you get to a courtroom alive, you have the law on your side, here, maybe nowhere else.

Here's what I wrote above: "Notwithstanding the law, anyone caught in this situation is in deep trouble and likely going to lose the war and their life or spend many years in jail. It isn't a foregone conclusion that such would happen, but it is the likely end result."
    Last edited by Hopyard; November 7th, 2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added "here, maybe nowhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The odds of such an occurrence, as has been mentioned befor, are even beyond rare although not impossible.
    Very rare indeed
    What I consider even more rare, ala rarer than rare, is that there would be other cops present at such an even that would not intervene and stop it.
    And, if there was such an incident, and they didn't, there'd be a very public trial, some found not so guilty, and riots afterwards...
    JMO
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    The money we make from the law suit will pay for lots of plastic surgery for my wife afterward.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links