Police Brutality - How do you respond?

This is a discussion on Police Brutality - How do you respond? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes The odds of such an occurrence, as has been mentioned befor, are even beyond rare although not impossible. What I consider ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Police Brutality - How do you respond?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The odds of such an occurrence, as has been mentioned befor, are even beyond rare although not impossible.
    What I consider even more rare, ala rarer than rare, is that there would be other cops present at such an even that would not intervene and stop it.
    Guantes - I would like to agree with you, but then there is Katrina...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I never said it couldn't happen, although I think that a comparison with Katrina is an uneven comparison to the scenario being discuss.

I have personally seen excesses a time or two, while not the exact circumstances described, I stopped them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I never said it couldn't happen, although I think that a comparison with Katrina is an uneven comparison to the scenario being discuss.

I have personally seen excesses a time or two, while not the exact circumstances described, I stopped them.
    I agree the scenarios are different, but you were basically talking about LEO ethics and that the pack would attenuate any issues. At least in New Orleans, this was not the case, it exacerbated it. I am not saying that this is the norm, but it certainly occurred and the officers are now going to jail over it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by CyanLite View Post
    cuffs your significant other and then proceeds to punching her to the head 13 times, and then uses a taser shock. Your S.O. lies on the ground unconscious and helpless while the officer continues his attack.

You are carrying your usual. What do you do?
    Stop the threat by any means necessary.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Longrider: Your CyanLite quote is just absurd and a fairy tale "what if". Your answer will leave you dead and probably your wife if such an absurd circumstance would ever occur. We can agree to disagree on any kind of "what if" but this is what fairy tales are made of. If anyone can present such a circumstance I would love to have it shown to me on this thread. Not an almost "what if" but exactly what is being portrayed in the CyanLite quote. Sitting at a computer day dreaming does not count.

So, things like this don't happen? What about the 4 people who were pulled over in georgia? The cops pulled them over because their car matched a car driven by a some armed gang members. They were pulled out of the car and one man was shot twice in the head because they could not see one of his hands(while 2 or 3 other cops were on top of him). The cops found no guns, money, drugs or anything else. I was a case of mistaken identity. One man died for it.

All it would take is for the cops to mistake you and your wife for someone who just robbed a store, killed someone, or matched the description of armed gang members.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    do you guys get any sleep at night?...or does the paranoia keep you up all hours wondering when the door is going burst open and youve got to go movie hero?...

a little while back a thread starts with "you are riding your motocylce and an armed guy cuts you off and gets out with his gun"...it stemmed from a ******* video a kid shot while stunting on the highway and trying to elude cops...

now a video of some kids in a known drug area with one escaping police and the other admittedly haing drugs on him surfaces...all of the sudden youre driving down the road innocently enough and your wife is dragged out of the car and beaten for asking an officer a question...

really?...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would defend my wife but not with deadly force since I would probably be shot to death by the other 2 or 3 officers if I draw my weapon and thus they would have a solid reason to justify the brutal attack against my wife. Probably if I attack the officer the others would tase me or use the same brutal force, but at least I would save my wife's life in the process. If I do survive, I would use my one phone call in jail to hire the best attorney that money can find.

If it was only one officer attacking my wife, I would draw my gun and tell him to stop the attack or else I would be forced to enforce my right to protect my live and that of all my loved ones...if the officer resists to cease I wouldn't hesitate to shoot him in the head. I hate writing the words "shoot him in the head" and "police officer" together in the same sentence since I have the utmost respect for the law and all law enforcement officers, but no one has the right to attack someone with such brutality without a reasonable justification.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by centermass View Post
    So, things like this don't happen? What about the 4 people who were pulled over in georgia? The cops pulled them over because their car matched a car driven by a some armed gang members. They were pulled out of the car and one man was shot twice in the head because they could not see one of his hands(while 2 or 3 other cops were on top of him). The cops found no guns, money, drugs or anything else. I was a case of mistaken identity. One man died for it.

All it would take is for the cops to mistake you and your wife for someone who just robbed a store, killed someone, or matched the description of armed gang members.
    Crap always happens, but many things can be done to avoid/lessen its chances. One of the good things I’ve learned on this site – When pulled over by LEO:
    a- inside lights on
    b- hands on wheel or dash
    c- no sudden movements, especially reaching for the wallet, which in my case is only inches from my EDC.

Following this type of protocol, I don’t expect any of the aforementioned trauma to befall myself or family. However, if it does, I’ll do what’s necessary – possibly to my own peril.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    do you guys get any sleep at night?...or does the paranoia keep you up all hours wondering when the door is going burst open and youve got to go movie hero?...

a little while back a thread starts with "you are riding your motocylce and an armed guy cuts you off and gets out with his gun"...it stemmed from a ******* video a kid shot while stunting on the highway and trying to elude cops...

now a video of some kids in a known drug area with one escaping police and the other admittedly haing drugs on him surfaces...all of the sudden youre driving down the road innocently enough and your wife is dragged out of the car and beaten for asking an officer a question...

really?...

I think most people ask these types of questions because of curiosity. Some for awareness. Lots of people have learned what to do and what not to do indirectly because of threads like this. They see others responces and it put the wheels in motion for some creative thinking that may one day help them in a bad situation. Just like cops have learned from what others have done or what should have been done. So do we. Otherwise, everytime there is a noise outside our house at 3 in the morning we would run outside naked with a gun and get shot rather than calling the cops and waiting. I myself have read some of these senarios and found that what I would have done wouldn't have been the right thing to do. I know some of these senarios aren't very likely, but sometimes it's food for thought and some of the responces are entertaining to me.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post

really?...
    Tinfoil hats ease the pain, and quiet the voices (well, the unimportant ones anyway).

Some scenarios seem far fetched, of course... like the US government telling you you have to surrender property, now... oh wait, that happened before... oh and local governments do it all the time today.
    A group of 20 or so guys can overthrow the most powerful government in the world... oh wait, that happened in the late 1700's.
    The dollar can become useless overnight... oh wait, the Deutschmark... Argentina, now Greenland.
    The police, army et.al. can come take the arms of a law abiding citizen... Oh wait... Katrina...

But honestly, there are litlle bits of truth in the scenarios here, even the far fetched zombie thread types; that can make you consider your position, and your proposed actions in a real life occurence.

And imagination makes it more interesting.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

This is simple for me, I'm going to comply with the police so as not to give them a reason to give me a beat down.

If they end up giving me a ride to jail, I'm going to exercise my right to remain silent and let a lawyer get irate with them.

Most police cars have video these days and the video will tell the truth.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Longrider: Your CyanLite quote is just absurd and a fairy tale "what if". Your answer will leave you dead and probably your wife if such an absurd circumstance would ever occur. We can agree to disagree on any kind of "what if" but this is what fairy tales are made of. If anyone can present such a circumstance I would love to have it shown to me on this thread. Not an almost "what if" but exactly what is being portrayed in the CyanLite quote. Sitting at a computer day dreaming does not count.
    I have no idea what "CyanLite" means nor can I find a definition, so I am unable to respond to that portion of your post. Nor do I get what motivates you to single me out for your attack. I simply answered the post based on my experience, what anyone who knows me would say I would do in that situation. I love and cherish my family above all else, if you opt to harm them I will and have done whatever is needed to terminate that threat. If I die end up in prison or get sued in the effort so be it. I am not some POS spineless coward that would stand by and allow my loved ones to be abused or injured in any way, by anyone. Doing harm to my family crosses the line and is unacceptable. If you do harm to my family, you, will get stopped. Anyone who doubts the veracity of that is welcome to test it for themselves. It may well be the last thing you ever do.

As far a being a fairly tale. The video seemed quiet real to me. As you do not know me and base any opinion you may have on ASSumptions. Seems to me sitting behind your computer fantasizing about how I would or would not respond and attacking my response more accurately defines what fairy tales are made of. Try getting out more. Not everyone is like you. Not everyone will passively stand by doing nothing while their loved ones are being battered and abused.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you very much oakchas, bladen, and hayzor for returning some sanity to this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links