Police Brutality - How do you respond?

This is a discussion on Police Brutality - How do you respond? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're driving home with your significant other. Police pulls you over. Asks you and your loved one(s) to step out of the car. While doing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police Brutality - How do you respond?

Police Brutality - How do you respond?

You're driving home with your significant other. Police pulls you over. Asks you and your loved one(s) to step out of the car. While doing so, your significant other asks, "Why officer? We haven't done anything wrong!".

The officer cuffs your significant other and then proceeds to punching her to the head 13 times, and then uses a taser shock. Your S.O. lies on the ground unconscious and helpless while the officer continues his attack.

You are carrying your usual. What do you do?

(Motivational Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuKAQ...eature=related)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Its a tough question. If you try to fight it out in the streets with the police you will surely die or be seriously injured, you cant win when they have an army. The police will always say you resisted or some other line in order to justify their response even when you may have done nothing. More and more in our society we are seeing these kinds of events, and people wonder why my 100% support for the police has dropped to near none.

I just dont see a way of winning a physcal battle, but you better bet a good lawer will be called along with the DOJ.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Well, being in that situation, and being a retired LEO, I'd shoot him dead, then call the State Police.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If it were against me, covering up and surviving the street situation as best I can would be the plan, all the while speaking as clearly and slowly as I could the words "I am not a felon; I am not resisting you" (or other words to help calm the idiot pummeling me). It would be followed by an extremely expensive trip down legal lane for the city (at the hands of my attorney). While I'd have every right to defend myself right then and there against clear illegal and harsh brutality and the right to do what was necessary to stop it, the likelihood of surviving "attacking a police officer" would be low. I'll deal with it later. The one bright spot is that it doesn't happen all that often, relatively speaking.

AGainst someone I was with? I still feel speaking calmly, simply and assertively to the officer would be the way to go. Frankly, if it was looking to be a deadly situation, I might well draw and demand he cease the deadly attack. If having to do that, I wouldn't expect to have the truth come through in the aftermath to the degree it needed, given the array of forced stacked. Tough call.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, being in that situation, and being a retired LEO, I'd shoot him dead, then call the State Police.
    This. I don't care who it is, but if ANYONE is beating my significant other, or my second wife, they will get shot. I will be arrested and I will cooperate. I'm sure they'll be an investigation and trial and all that stuff, but I'm not gonna stand by and do nothing while someone I love is being beaten.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Defense is defense. You alone make the call at the time. I hear living in prison aint so bad so long as you can take Bubba from the south side. It is what it is, and I'll never be one to sit back and watch some idiot punching my wife. I'm going down no matter what. I think of myself as well-defined. I'll never be taken by the enemy, and I'll defend my own to the death.

Whatever it takes.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I'm sure they'll be an investigation and trial and all that stuff, but I'm not gonna stand by and do nothing while someone I love is being beaten.
    It comes to how the physicality is occurring, for me. If warranted, I can understand where heavy-handed handling comes from. But in no case is "13 punches to the head" or a beating to within an inch of a person's life warranted or justified with someone who isn't a felon and isn't resisting. Not ever. The trick is going to be clearly distinguishing the difference, when the pot is on "boil" and one is seeing another unreasonably handled.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    ill take my chances with the courts, i gotta protect my wife/girlfriend/mother/sister and if i go to jail because of it, thats fine too
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Tough call. It will depend on several factors.

As far as the video, I wonder what the video DOESN'T show. Here is a thread that comes to mind.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lice-cams-quot
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

This is the second police brutality thread in as many weeks....is this something a lot of people are worried about?? Seriously?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Considering most officers wear vests here i'd have to make a judgement call if I could hit him in the head and/or how fast I could close the gap so that I could before he turned and drew.
    I wouldnt want to be the guy outa ammo with a cop that just got unloaded on getting up drawing his gun after his vest ate all your ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Defense is defense. You alone make the call at the time. I hear living in prison aint so bad so long as you can take Bubba from the south side. It is what it is, and I'll never be one to sit back and watch some idiot punching my wife. I'm going down no matter what. I think of myself as well-defined. I'll never be taken by the enemy, and I'll defend my own to the death.
    +1 I will defend my own till the end against any man woman or child......

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

This is the second police brutality thread in as many weeks....is this something a lot of people are worried about?? Seriously?
    Cop bashing sir!! LE is the most publicized profession.

In this situation Texas allows you to respond but not with deadly force generally.
    This however is a no win situation and don't feel that is something that will come up in my lifetime.

Differences in the OP's scenario and the video show the 18 year old was clearly not handcuffed already, and he was stopped after a suspected drug deal with the driver of the vehicle having already escaped. I doubt very seriously that the OP's scenario being stopped for a traffic violation, cuffing the wife, and starting the beat down with other passengers in the vehicle is realistic.

If for some strange reason it did happen, I would have to look at the situation then and probably look for a less than lethal option of stopping the attack if verbal communication with the officer failed. A 911 call with the line left open might be an option if you had to act.

(c) The use of force to resist an arrest or search is justified:
    (1) if, before the actor offers any resistance, the peace officer (or
    person acting at his direction) uses or attempts to use greater force
    than necessary to make the arrest or search; and
    (2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the
    force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the peace officer's
    (or other person's) use or attempted use of greater force than
    necessary.
    (d) The use of deadly force is not justified under this subchapter
    except as provided in Sections 9.32, 9.33, and 9.34.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Well lets use the video posted as a reference. The passenger, your SO is being beaten by the officer, you draw your weapon to defend them in that circumstance you would be shot by the other 3 or 4 officers before you get your first round off.
    I truly do not know what I would do. Verbal intervention yep, physical intervention yep, restrain and secure yep don't know past that.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links