Ankle Carry+not a good idea

This is a discussion on Ankle Carry+not a good idea within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my SA kicked into high gear tonight as I exited a retirement party after playing two weddings on the way to my car and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry+not a good idea

Ankle Carry+not a good idea

So my SA kicked into high gear tonight as I exited a retirement party after playing two weddings on the way to my car and encountered a pack of teenagers between me and my car. BTW, I had my violin ($10K and $500 cash in gig money in my wallet)

Nothing happened but I became aware that my typical carry situation of wearing my tux for a wedding gig and having my .38 on my ankle would have been totally useless had this pack of teenagers decided to get between me and my ride home.
    For some reason, tonight I decided to try wearing my jackass rig for my .380 under my tux instead to see if I could still play violin unencumbered and I did successfully. I felt very reassured knowing my Walther was in reach had this situation gone south.

The only comment I got was that "I'd dropped my magnifying glass" (I did look a bit like Inspector Gadget wearing a tux and a green military officer's overcoat)

Not complaining, not looking for answers, just realizing that I would have been defenseless had I ankle carried.

food for thought...

Jim

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    I don't "get" ankle holsters.... They seem almost useless in most situations. They conceal great and are probably comfortable with a light gun (I've never worn an ankle holster), but the draw from one not only takes too long but puts you in a vulnerable position. This is just my opinion of course. I pocket carry at times and some people think pocket carry draw is too slow.... Without a super slow-mo camera or stop watch, I can't tell the difference in speed from drawing from IWB at 4:00 and pocket carry. Whatever works for me, works.

"Umm, just a second guys, I gotta tie my shoe".

VIP Member
    Ankle rigs can be very effective and they do conceal very well, they are not however a strap and go type system. You must practice with them to become proficient with whatever draw stroke you decide to use.
    I wore one for years and if you know what you were doing you could employ a handgun quickly and smoothly from, one not as fast as a conventional holster, but you could still with practice defend yourself with the firearm it carried.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I've carried using an ankle holster out of necessity (also wearing a tux at a wedding--no belt loops and a shoulder holster was not an option at the time) and is a good option if you don't have another option like a smart-carry holster. It's not bad...and better than not carrying anything.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Foot pursuits quickly taught me that they were not for me, even as a BUG. There may be better ankle rigs available now then when I tried them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Ankle rigs for the civilian are generally OK but only as a BUG IMO. They just arent easily accessible, in a violent SD situation.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I tried an ankle holster for a while. It is a good way to have a gun, if you have time to get to it. And yes better than nothing, but found it too cumbersome for a real situation as you yourself discovered.

On another note, what about OC in your pocket?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I ankle carry a subcompact 50% of the time at my EDC. The reason why i do so, is that while seated in side a car, the ankle option is the fastest draw (and i have been held up in my car already). Secondly, when BG usually get a hold of you they like to frisk your pockets for your valuables themselves to make sure you aren't hiding something....wouldn't want them to grab a hold of the weapon.....

Ankle carry has its moments, i ankle carry often in the summer-time. Ankle carry is not the best way (tactically) to carry a weapon, but DON'T count it out as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by waltherize View Post
    I ankle carry a subcompact 50% of the time at my EDC. The reason why i do so, is that while seated in side a car, the ankle option is the fastest draw (and i have been held up in my car already). Secondly, when BG usually get a hold of you they like to frisk your pockets for your valuables themselves to make sure you aren't hiding something....wouldn't want them to grab a hold of the weapon.....
    I do like them for a car carry, easier to get at then IWB but the cooler weather is finally here so jackass rig wins. I agree about having the ankle is better than not having anything .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ankle carry, IMO, is okay some of the time for a backup, but not for primary carry. Besides, I can barely reach my feet to tie shoes these days.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ex Member
    For city driving ( Indy was just rated the 8th most violent American City) right ankle, outside, is about the fastest you can get to a weapon in a car. Daily carry? J frame in a Uncle Mikes #3

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    For city driving ( Indy was just rated the 8th most violent American City) right ankle, outside, is about the fastest you can get to a weapon in a car.
    I would disagree with this. If we say that the actual draw time of an ankle and belt rig are the same, there is still the bending forward to access the ankle holster and the raising back up to bring the weapon to bear, neither of which are necessary with a belt rig.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I recently started carrying my S&W 642 in a Galco Ankle Glove, mostly just to church on Sundays, and I always have my LCP in my right front pocket. The 642 is easy to access from a sitting position which is most of the time I'm at church. When I'm standing my right hand is resting on my LCP.

Once it gets cool enough to wear a sports coat, I'll switch to my Glock 27 in a Don Hume OWB holster.

I feel the ankle holster has it's place, but agree it's not the most accessable way to carry.
    Proud NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links