Strange incident at stoplight today.

This is a discussion on Strange incident at stoplight today. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in a double-lane left, at a red. This beatup maroon Silverado pulls up next to me, and the passenger door opens, which gets ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was in a double-lane left, at a red. This beatup maroon Silverado pulls up next to me, and the passenger door opens, which gets my attention. Now I've seen this happen before, and people will usually dump out a soda or spit out some tobacco or something. On even rarer occasion they'll go put something or get something from their trunk.

I watched to see if this would happen, but the driver got out as well. Then I thought "Chinese fire drill?" But I didn't think people did that anymore... and these guys were definitely not high school or even college kids.

That's when the one guy said "hey man!" and I looked over again, to see him pointing at my driver's side tire while looking right at me. Keep in mind he's standing in the road, between our two vehicles, right in front of my driver's side door (probably 4-5 feet away). I knew he was basically trying to get me to notice a flat tire, but:

1) It's my driver's side tire. I just looked at it a few minutes before as I was walking out to my car.
    2) My car has TPMS, so if I had a flat tire, a light would've shown up on my dash.

Wasn't going to fall for that. I cracked my window open, and he changed to "hey man, you wanna buy some speakers? I got a home theater system..." blah blah. Seriously? People still do the "wanna buy speakers?" thing? In the middle of the road at a large intersection?

So I just kept nodding with a "I'm not falling for it" look on my face while making sure to keep direct eye contact.

I was carrying at the time, at 4:00 in an IWB holster, so it wasn't immediately accessible from my seated, seatbelted position. but it was there just in case.

What was that all about? Anyway, I guess nothing happened. He got back in his truck and they took off when the light turned green.

Those "wanna buy a stereo guys" always make me nervous. Seems like i encounter one every couple of years.

I had an encounter with another one last year or so, too. This old Chevy van yelled at me from the road (I was in a parking lot!) and then drove and backed in right next to my car. The guy said "hey man! you want some speakers?" but forget that. I had a brief conversation with them, and they kept talking, but when i got into my car and shut the door, they suddenly took off. That was back before I had my permit.

Funny thing about today is that I probably would've had my windows down normally (Florida fall is beautiful). But today was a 90* day so I had them shut and the AC going. I wonder if things would've turned out differently in that case.

That happened to a friend of mine a couple years ago. Some guy stopped him and asked him if he wanted to buy a home stereo system. Turns out it was the same home stereo system stolen from his house a few weeks earlier.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    That's funny .... at least he got his stereo back!

I don't fall for any of those folks, I don't care who's asking me what. And I keep the SA .45 tucked into the door, so I can grab it when I need it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I've been approached a time or two by some selling speakers, etc. I just nod my head and they leave, must be my gregarious personality.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Heck, They'll take one look at my truck & think I'm worse off then them ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

lol

hogdaddy, that's one of the reasons I like to drive my old GMC around from time-to-time .....
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    "hey man!" ... flat tire ... "hey man, you wanna buy some speakers? ..."

What was that all about?
    Entirely likely, it was about the robbery of another mark they'd made: you.

It's possible they were really selling something, speakers or whatever, sure. Entirely possible, however, that they thought you a fine target for robbery. You handled it just fine.

Having had two people who were "obviously not kids" get out of their truck within 5ft of me, I'd likely have ensured I could quickly exit the vicinity via the gas pedal or quickly draw if needed. 5ft is too close to disregard. Continue monitoring but be prepared to react if needed, just as you did.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good SA on your part. And here I thought nobody "sold speakers" anymore. I thought they all stuck to dead Nigerians who mysteriously bequeathed their massive wealth to me.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

That's pretty wild DeafDave. What did they do when he told them it was his stereo, or did he follow them and report them to the police?

Weird situation, Paul. You certainly don't need to get out of your vehicle and stand in the road to point out a bad tire. Thanks for sharing.

EBC
    I had this happen to my in a target parking lot. The guys (2 of them) asked me for 500 bucks just to get rid of it before they had to do an install at a local hotel. I said ok but that I needed to go in the store and get cash. once in the door i called the PD and alerted store security so they could get pics of the van.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

I keep my G19 around 3:00 to 3:30 and I can readily draw when seated. Strange situation you encountered there. Whether they mean harm or not it is certainly sketchy to try and sell speakers at a red light. LOL
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I keep a way out at stoplights, and I'm not talking to people in the road. Probably not making eye contact. Turn the radio up and play air drums on your steering wheel. They'll get the message. If they don't, drive off...run the red light if you have to (carefully, of course). Nothing good is happening at a stop light when people get out of their cars.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

3D
    Met 2 'speaker-sellers' at Lowe's hardware parking lot recently. I said "no thanks "and got back in the car.

My EDC .45 comes out of its IWB when I'm seated behind the steering wheel and goes under a towel on the passenger seat so I can access it easier while seated, seat belt on or not.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links