Can happen even when getting a haircut (MERGED) - Page 4

Can happen even when getting a haircut (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Can happen even when getting a haircut (MERGED) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes She is very lucky she is still alive. Yup: If the article is correct the perp got off four shots from ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 60 of 60

Thread: Can happen even when getting a haircut (MERGED)

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    She is very lucky she is still alive.
    Yup:

    If the article is correct the perp got off four shots from a single action revolver before he was hit by the officers return fire.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/


  2. #47
    VIP Member Array TedBeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay City
    Posts
    2,302
    Two things strike me as odd in the second story linked to;
    1. The officer used a department issued 5 shot Smith and Wesson. I assume it's a revolver, but I would think that department issue would be a semi-automatic.

    2. They say at the bottom of the story a 19 year old girl that helped him get into the "locked" salon is being held. It sounds to me like she may have worked there and unlocked the door to let him in. Either the salon door is always locked or this was after closing? I think that rather than the lock being locked by gunfire the girlfriend probably locked the door again after she let him in, to prevent other people from wqalking in on the robbery. That explains why he was yelling to unlock the door as he tried to flee. Only thing I wan't sure of is whether the girl friend is one of the four people in the store, or if she stayed outside during the robbery.

  3. #48
    VIP Member Array HKinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, NY(Long Island)
    Posts
    2,855
    It was not until appx 8 years ago that NYPD when to Semi automatics. It was 38's back then.

    I am sure that you have to be buzzed into the shop and need to be buzzed out. I assume that the girlfriend walked to the door and the shop owner seeing a women did not think twice about buzzing in,as sthe door opened he most likey walked in behind her and her turned around exiting the store.

  4. #49
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    As to the five shot .38, working an ancillary position (crime lab) she may have a greater choice of issue weapons than someone in a line position.

    This is the golden egg for Mayor B.
    She is female, which allows The Mayor to show his support for upward mobility for females, whether he believes in it or not.
    She is a minority, which allows The Mayor to show his support for upward mobility for minorities, whether he believes in it or not.
    She placed herself in greater lethal jeopardy by issuing unnecessary orders that would allow the perp to surrender, rather than just shooting him, which allows The Mayor to show the kind of police officers he would like to have.
    She finally shoots the perp, but causes only minor injury, reducing the likelihood of public outcry or civil action, which allows The Mayor to show the kind of outcome he would like to see, even in cases of criminals who try to kill police officers.
    I think her promotion was virtually inevitable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  5. #50
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    As to the five shot .38, working an ancillary position (crime lab) she may have a greater choice of issue weapons than someone in a line position.

    This is the golden egg for Mayor B.
    She is female, which allows The Mayor to show his support for upward mobility for females, whether he believes in it or not.
    She is a minority, which allows The Mayor to show his support for upward mobility for minorities, whether he believes in it or not.
    She placed herself in greater lethal jeopardy by issuing unnecessary orders that would allow the perp to surrender, rather than just shooting him, which allows The Mayor to show the kind of police officers he would like to have.
    She finally shoots the perp, but causes only minor injury, reducing the likelihood of public outcry or civil action, which allows The Mayor to show the kind of outcome he would like to see, even in cases of criminals who try to kill police officers.
    I think her promotion was virtually inevitable.
    Yup, yup and yup. It's a real PR coup for NYPD... The Big Apple has to think up another slogan... similar to "Don't mess with Texas."

    But, honestly, the lady needs to find a "good" hairdresser...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  6. #51
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Under a Volkswagen somewhere in Florida
    Posts
    9,452
    I've thought about that. I live in a small town where everyone gets their hair cut at a small barbershop downtown. The guy has a small drawer behind him full of cash and I've seen him digging through it and counting it where people can see it (not smart). I've often wondered how many people have thought about it as a place where cash is present. I always carry appendix getting my hair cut so I can access under the cover if need be without drawing attention to it. If I'm ever in there getting my hair cut without anyone else around, I may mention it to him as a concern. He's a nice guy, just took my son to him for his 1st haircut several days ago. He may carry for all I know, but still not smart to tempt scum bags with letting them see a lot of cash unnecessarily.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

  7. #52
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    I think that would be a mistake in the small town barber shop that I get my hair cut in. All of the barbers, usually two, and many of the customers carry.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  8. #53
    Senior Member Array Luis50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    509
    I'm not going to pick this event or this officer apart.

    I hope that I don't choke if i'm faced with the possibility of dying.

    I hope the "training" kicks in. Until then, it's a test that I haven't taken yet.

    This officer has. She got a passing grade.
    Luis

    "Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

    Mike Tyson

  9. #54
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    I'm not going to pick this event or this officer apart.

    I hope that I don't choke if i'm faced with the possibility of dying.

    I hope the "training" kicks in. Until then, it's a test that I haven't taken yet.

    This officer has. She got a passing grade.
    That's true enough! (but she still needs a better hairdresser.)

    Oh, and this story is still in the MSM... I guess it's not just a 24 hour news cycle... Every one of the press reports talks about her shooting the lock and the gun out of the BG's hand... I'm still getting google alerts on this same story.
    Last edited by oakchas; October 29th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  10. #55
    Senior Member Array AlexHassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    the North East
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    It was not until appx 8 years ago that NYPD when to Semi automatics. It was 38's back then.

    I am sure that you have to be buzzed into the shop and need to be buzzed out. I assume that the girlfriend walked to the door and the shop owner seeing a women did not think twice about buzzing in,as sthe door opened he most likey walked in behind her and her turned around exiting the store.
    NYPD's deal is if it was an issued firearm when you whent throught acadamy you can carry it on duty, hence the old officers whith model 10's

  11. #56
    Member Array DZcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    144
    Why did she get promoted to detective? Detective in what section? Was she even under consideration for or asking for a promotion prior to this event?
    Proud Lady Blue Dog

  12. #57
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,910
    That was a close shave. <~~~

  13. #58
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,591
    I always like showing these types of articles to my female friends who still believe that criminals only do bad things in the dark of night, or in undesirable zip codes. One even has a permit and gun but doesn’t carry it because it’s too inconvenient. Now, as a former LEO I can say that this scenario is often on the minds of cops. I’m not saying they dream about it, but they certainly do think about it!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  14. #59
    Member Array Pepsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    367
    ya know, i always felt vulnerable while getting a hair cut, because i take off my glasses, and i cant see! just gotta pay attention the best i can and look at my barber's reactions

  15. #60
    Member Array soonershoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    307
    Sometimes I think about me getting a haircut....I have super bad vision, so my glasses are always off and in my hand (under the apron). Doubtful that I could get my glasses on and be able to move and return any fire....guess I'am toast for that period of time
    Last edited by soonershoote; November 10th, 2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: rewrite
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. My Haircut/Beauty school
    By INccwchris in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM
  2. The Haircut
    By Holdcard in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
  3. Can't Happen here~~~in the UK???
    By Jmac00 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
  4. It Can Happen Anywhere
    By akhimark in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
  5. Gotta find a new place to get a haircut.
    By sisco in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: June 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM