Store Clerk Charged In Man's Shooting Death

This is a discussion on Store Clerk Charged In Man's Shooting Death within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an update to the second clerk involved shooting that happened at this location as discussed in this thread... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...!-What-s-wrong ... Investigators said Jones ...

Thread: Store Clerk Charged In Man's Shooting Death

Store Clerk Charged In Man's Shooting Death

This is an update to the second clerk involved shooting that happened at this location as discussed in this thread...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...!-What-s-wrong...

Investigators said Jones walked into the Shell station at Bannister Road and Drury Avenue and got into an argument with one of the clerks. One clerk forced Jones outside and there was a struggle. Investigators said that is when Rana stepped outside and used a stun gun on Jones. Jones tried to punch Rana and was shot as he was running away, police said.

Prosecutors said Rana had a valid conceal-carry permit, but added that did not give him the right to shoot Jones.

Police said Jones was not armed with a weapon.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/25522531/detail.html
    When asked if the fans that ran on the field naked were men or women, Yogi replied "I don't know, they had bags over their heads."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    DUH, he was running away, threat is over, you dont shoot. I dont understand some people.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Well first off the taser didn't drop him in his tracks. I wonder why?
    He definitely should not have shot him in the back.
    The thing I learn from this article though is NO WAY I am ever going to shop at this store. It’s a regular war zone apparently. I’m glad I live in another state.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    DUH, he was running away, threat is over, you dont shoot.
    + .45

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

GM
    Shooting a BG in the back when he is running away is not a good idea at all
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

This sounds more like an argument between two people who had some sort of running argument, and a final murder. This was not self defense.

Cops can't shoot anyone in the back and neither can we. Poor decision making.

I do think it would be good to point out that a back shoot isn't always a crapshoot. Oftentimes, the BG will suddenly turn to seek cover or grab an additional weapon, or just turn on reflex in reaction to shots being fired. In those cases, it isn't uncommon to end up hitting the BG in the side or back when you didn't mean to.

I believe there was a recent case here in FL where a person in a legal, clean shoot cannot necessarily be charged for shooting someone in the back, if that person is an immediate threat. It was limited, though; meaning, hitting someone who suddenly turns and tries to climb back out your window or tries to run to grab something behind a wall - not the guy is already half a block down the street and you chase him down to "finish him off."

I'm sure that there are exceptions to shots hitting the back, especially inside a home. In most instances, shooting at someone running away is not going to go well for the shooter.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jerzsubbie View Post
    Cops can't shoot anyone in the back and neither can we. Poor decision making.
    Yes you can. So can the cops.

You have to just be damned sure the person is still a threat to you or other people.

OR......

On top of that there are plenty of cases where people are shooting and someone gets hit in the side or the back because they were turning as the weapon was firing.

I'd like to see the footage.

Shooting a BG in the back is an option. My goal is to survive not to win a fair fight.

This guy will have his day in court and the scenario gives me something to think about. If you use deadly force you may have to stand in front of a jury and convince them you were in fear of [life] and had no other choice. If the BG is running away, that is going to be difficult.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Shooting a BG in the back when he is running away is not a good idea at all
    That's unless the BG is shooting at your direction while running away. Just something to add. Again, if it's safe to disengage, then by all means, do so.

Links