Two personal stories that make me wanna carry all the time.

This is a discussion on Two personal stories that make me wanna carry all the time. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by waltherize ... due to the failure in governance and state apparatus, street crime is a rampant problem. Street crime is reasonably evident ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Two personal stories that make me wanna carry all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by waltherize View Post
    ... due to the failure in governance and state apparatus, street crime is a rampant problem.
    Street crime is reasonably evident here, as well. And it's not due to any failure in governance. Reality is, if you give some people an inch, they will take a mile. If capture and punishment isn't guaranteed to be swift and sure, there will always, always be criminals to take advantage. It's simply human nature. In any group large enough to stink, there will be a few who will bubble to the top in that way. I'm sure that's true worldwide.

I hate to see the breakdown in the fabric of society, but that is the truth of life here.
    While no story of crime is a feel-good tale, it is very sad to see overall breakdown in many places around the world. From time to time, the U.S. streets boil with upset citizens who are simply fed up with the status quo. Yes, there have always been rabble rousers. Yes, there will always be criminals here and there. But over the past 35yrs I have been watching a slow progression in the unwillingness of large swaths of the population to "take it" any longer. More and more, large groups of them are making themselves heard. It isn't so much a matter of the scale of the protesting. Rather, it's the increasingly ugly manner in which "protests" (against "the machine") are taking place.

The right to bear arms in one's own defense is such an important feature of being a citizen, here. I don't ever want to get in the position of having to need my arms for defense against criminals, again, but I won't have any problems doing so. I would much prefer others deal with me rationally and above board. In fact, I insist (a reference to the excellent essay by Marko Kloos, "Why The Gun Is Civilization").

Be safe.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Waltherize,

Thanks for the post.

We certainly are fortunate here in the states. Yes we have crime, but (at least statistically) violent crime is dropping. More and more states are going to shall issue status, or are open carry. All because some 200 years ago, some very wise men got together and overthrew the existing government, and made certain the following generations would maintain the rights they pledged their lives and fortunes to obtain.

I cannot imagne living in a country where crime is exponentially more prevalent, violent crime and deadly crime more widespread, and not being easily (and legally) able to defend myself and my loved ones with arms.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    You should tell your boss to not stop the car next time. He should have gunned it and ran over the motorcycle. A car can be a great weapon.
    +1+
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I apologize for the Obama shot! It's so close to mid-term election and I've about had it with political mud-slinging TV ads, I guess I just got caught up in the moment. Did I mention that I was formerly from Illinois and honest politician and the state of IL. is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Welcome from the states. Sorry to hear what happen. I have a question. What does it take to get a CCW in your country?
    CCWs are issued by both the relevant provinces and federal government. The ones issued by provinces are geographically restricted to the provice......however federal licenes mean you can travel with the weapon througout the country....

Unfortunately it doesn't take much to get a CCW here....around USD 200, two pictures, and copy of the National ID card....typically no background checks, no long waiting periods etc..before i starting carrying, i simply didn't realize, that most of the citizens around me, were already armed.......

Can you possess full autos over there? If so I would be looking fer a glock 18 and 17 round mag in the gun and 33 round mags for spares
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Wow.

I wager that someone charged can get off if they are related to the right people or if they pay off the right people? That is too common (I work with people from around the world, and too many of them see nothing wrong with that sort of thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Can you possess full autos over there? If so I would be looking fer a glock 18 and 17 round mag in the gun and 33 round mags for spares
    Full autos are only available under a "Prohibited Bore License" only "certain" people can get them......recently there has been a rash of new PB licenses issued which itself is under investigation by the Supreme Court.......

btw, glocks are the most expensive hand guns here, a G19 will cost (Believe it or not) USD 4,070.00 G26 is around USD 3,780/- thats because imports are not allowed......

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Wow.

I wager that someone charged can get off if they are related to the right people or if they pay off the right people? That is too common (I work with people from around the world, and too many of them see nothing wrong with that sort of thing.)

Sad but true....

Thanks for posting waltherize. I think you are definitely on the right track. Someone asked if Pakistan is your home country or if you are just working overseas there.

I didn't see a response, so if this doesn't apply, ignore it. The one tip I would recommend is that if you do not speak the native language, then learn it. If you're going to be there for an extended period of time, you should know the native language if you are living in a quasi-lawless society.

Knowing the language could save your life simply by being able to understand overheard conversations from the local people around you. You may be able to overhear if someone is planning to target you specifically or target an area which you are. Even if you only get a few seconds notice before someone strikes affords you a few seconds to respond and possibly thwart their actions. You would be surprised how freely criminals will speak among themselves if they think you don't speak the language.

Gathering intelligence on the locals regarding what is going on around you is a critical survival skill, and is a skill you should work on developing. You should always be operating in an intelligence gathering mode when living or working in a foreign land or in a quasi-lawless society, or where the laws are indiscriminately enforced, or law enforcement resources are grossly inadequate.

Good luck buddy. Stay armed and stay safe!
    bluecoyote likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Thanks for posting waltherize. I think you are definitely on the right track. Someone asked if Pakistan is your home country or if you are just working overseas there.

I didn't see a response, so if this doesn't apply, ignore it. The one tip I would recommend is that if you do not speak the native language, then learn it. If you're going to be there for an extended period of time, you should know the native language if you are living in a quasi-lawless society.

Knowing the language could save your life simply by being able to understand overheard conversations from the local people around you. You may be able to overhear if someone is planning to target you specifically or target an area which you are. Even if you only get a few seconds notice before someone strikes affords you a few seconds to respond and possibly thwart their actions. You would be surprised how freely criminals will speak among themselves if they think you don't speak the language.

Gathering intelligence on the locals regarding what is going on around you is a critical survival skill, and is a skill you should work on developing. You should always be operating in an intelligence gathering mode when living or working in a foreign land or in a quasi-lawless society, or where the laws are indiscriminately enforced, or law enforcement resources are grossly inadequate.

Good luck buddy. Stay armed and stay safe!

THanks Bark'n this is home country and we have to deal with what we have to deal with :)

You think that there Lawless over thers ? try living in one of the five Borough's of NYC any time soon. ?

Easy

Dont worry brother. Pulling the trigger is the easiest part. Practice situations in your head and develop muscle memory with your tool of defense before the time comes. Close pistol work is a great skill, but even better, is knowing how to counter someone with a weapon at close range. Here's the beef. If they have the drop on you; comply and smoothly get the punk closer. Making THEM close the distance is absolutely the best option after compliance. Make yourself seem compliant and weak and they will be less hesitant to get close. Hopefully they just want a quick roll but your compliance ends when they dont just take-off or you "get the feeling" that they dont just want money. If they even so much as look at your family and you can read that it wasnt just a glance you have to act. Drift in front of your family member and always speak in a CALM, quiet and normal speed voice. You need to learn to disarm a weapon should a situation ever escalate. I dont care what others think but I would rather face someone with a pistol (that isnt proficient with one) up close than a thug with a knife. Using a pistol requires more practice and know how; especially in close proximity. Any child however, can do damage slashing away with a knife. A knife is also harder to disarm. Best technique on knife fighting isnt in some martial artsy-fartsy fantasy book. Its the tried and true prison style. (Knife Fighting Techniques From Folsom Prison) Ok Ill stop here. Books have been written about this topic of self defense so I wont.

PS
    Learn to discern if your thinking and what you would do in a situation is logical. Complexity is dangerous. Be careful where you get your info and training from as well...And stop watching Hollywood. It will get you killed dude. Take care compadre.
    Last edited by bluecoyote; July 3rd, 2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: reference needed

Wow waltherize, that is some scary stuff, and both folks are lucky to be alive. What kinds of pistols can be had at a reasonable price where you live?
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links