Disproportionally sized attacker

This is a discussion on Disproportionally sized attacker within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was having a discussion with a coworker about appropriate reactions in certain self defense situations. He said that the law (bear in mind he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disproportionally sized attacker

I was having a discussion with a coworker about appropriate reactions in certain self defense situations. He said that the law (bear in mind he provides no evidence on this) prohibits an individual from defending themselves against a smaller or weaker individual, even if that person has a weapon. His example was if I (6'2'' 185lbs male) was attacked by a 5'2'' 110lbs women with a baseball bat, I would not be able to use a firearm or even my bare fists to defend myself. My response was that she has the means to cause me serious bodily harm and that I felt my life or limb was in jeopardy, I could and would use any available means to defend myself. I feel I am in the right here, but would like to get some opinions from others.
    If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?

You're friend is wrong.

In Louisiana, you're friend is wrong.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

He is misinformed, if the individual in question presents a credible threat.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Ask your co worker that if that's so why isn't there an over abundance of midget ninjas?

Quote Originally Posted by beequick View Post
    I was having a discussion with a coworker about appropriate reactions in certain self defense situations. He said that the law (bear in mind he provides no evidence on this) prohibits an individual from defending themselves against a smaller or weaker individual, even if that person has a weapon.
    Please have him cite the chapter and verse of this alleged law.

His example was if I (6'2'' 185lbs male) was attacked by a 5'2'' 110lbs women with a baseball bat, I would not be able to use a firearm or even my bare fists to defend myself.
    Your friend is an idiot. Regardless of size, that baseball bat will do serious damage and cause death.

My response was that she has the means to cause me serious bodily harm and that I felt my life or limb was in jeopardy, I could and would use any available means to defend myself. I feel I am in the right here, but would like to get some opinions from others.
    You are right. I repeat, your friend is an idiot..but not a complete one....a civil suit would be quick to follow, unless you live in a castle doctrine state.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I don't know where your friend is getting his info. A 13 year old with a butcher knife can kill you just as quick as someone of legal drinking age.

If the threat is real, immediate and credible it gets eliminated whether they wear underroos or not.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I don't know where your friend is getting his info. A 13 year old with a butcher knife can kill you just as quick as someone of legal drinking age.

If the threat is real, immediate and credible it gets eliminated whether they wear underroos or not.
    Anyone that is able to segway Underoos into ANY conversation, for any reason, is ok in my book! lol Man, I miss my Superman and Spidey Underoos. My wife is deathly afraid of my finding adult sized ones. She knows I will buy and proudly wear them :)

The key in SD/HD laws is a viable threat, not age. Obviously, a six year old with a baseball bat is not a real threat one would perceive as such, but there are some big and nasty 12 year olds that might not even need a bat to do serious harm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was having a discussion with a coworker about appropriate reactions in certain self defense situations. He said that the law (bear in mind he provides no evidence on this) prohibits an individual from defending themselves against a smaller or weaker individual, even if that person has a weapon. His example was if I (6'2'' 185lbs male) was attacked by a 5'2'' 110lbs women with a baseball bat, I would not be able to use a firearm or even my bare fists to defend myself. My response was that she has the means to cause me serious bodily harm and that I felt my life or limb was in jeopardy, I could and would use any available means to defend myself. I feel I am in the right here, but would like to get some opinions from others.
    your friend is an idiot.... btw the 5'4" tall 2nd degree black belt (1st degree in karate) woman in my class could wreck him. and guess what, you won't know who is a trained fighter by looking at them...she trains with weapons and hand to hand.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Agreed with everyone else.

Your friend is confused in the head about 'the law'.
    He is forgetting that disparity of force is not singularly based on the relative sizing of an individual by specifically height & weight.

For example:
    * A 6'2'' 185 lbs. male attacked by a 5'2'' 110 lbs. woman using a Louisville Slugger as armed, with intent (!); IS a notable disparity of force to the males disadvantage.
    * A 6'2'' 185 lbs. male attacked by a 5'2'' 110 lbs. woman using a plastic Wiffle Ball bat as armed, with intent (!); IS NOT a notable disparity of force to the males disadvantage.
    * A 6'2'' 185 lbs. male attacked by a 5'2'' 110 lbs. woman using a plastic Wiffle Ball bat as armed, with intent (!); IS a notable disparity of force to the males disadvantage if the male is handicapped in some way such as being one handed or unable to flee for having his leg(s) immobilized (i.e. wheelchair bound).

Your friend is not taking into account ALL of the conditions of as in the totality of a given events specific and very relevant facts, toward making an assessment of how a given states legal system might view a situation of self defense.
    Further not all men are built youthful, tall and strapping...Just as not all women _at all_ are built as being dainty, frail & weak 98 lbs. weaklings.

Any man, any woman, any youth/child and the smallest of yippy dogs along with the largest and most belligerent of canines (singular not as a breed broad) can all be active and very serious immediate threats as related to intent AND the relative ability of the subject victim to defend him/her/itself.

I would not think twice to defend myself against _ANY_ woman or being who might have intent, means (armed) and ability (she is separated from me by nothing more than inches of air space) to do me physical harm.
    This is by my own training, and life experience.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed with everyone else.

Your friend is confused in the head about 'the law'.
    He is forgetting that disparity of force is not singularly based on the relative sizing of an individual by specifically height & weight.

For example:
    * A 6'2'' 185 lbs. male attacked by a 5'2'' 110 lbs. woman using a Louisville Slugger as armed, with intent (!); IS a notable disparity of force to the males disadvantage.
    * A 6'2'' 185 lbs. male attacked by a 5'2'' 110 lbs. woman using a plastic Wiffle Ball bat as armed, with intent (!); IS NOT a notable disparity of force to the males disadvantage.
    * A 6'2'' 185 lbs. male attacked by a 5'2'' 110 lbs. woman using a plastic Wiffle Ball bat as armed, with intent (!); IS a notable disparity of force to the males disadvantage if the male is handicapped in some way such as being one handed or unable to flee for having his leg(s) immobilized (i.e. wheelchair bound).

Your friend is not taking into account ALL of the conditions of as in the totality of a given events specific and very relevant facts, toward making an assessment of how a given states legal system might view a situation of self defense.
    Further not all men are built youthful, tall and strapping...Just as not all women _at all_ are built as being dainty, frail & weak 98 lbs. weaklings.

Any man, any woman, any youth/child and the smallest of yippy dogs along with the largest and most belligerent of canines (singular not as a breed broad) can all be active and very serious immediate threats as related to intent AND the relative ability of the subject victim to defend him/her/itself.

I would not think twice to defend myself against _ANY_ woman or being who might have intent, means (armed) and ability (she is separated from me by nothing more than inches of air space) to do me physical harm.
    This is by my own training, and life experience.

- Janq
    lets also not forget people have filled wiffle bats with concrete....
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    lets also not forget people have filled wiffle bats with concrete....
    ouch
    If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?

VIP Member
    Self-defense is a one size fits all type of thing'. Now, if you shoot a 98-year old grandma who is beating you with an umbrella, you may have some explaining to do.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Self-defense is a one size fits all type of thing'. Now, if you shoot a 98-year old grandma who is beating you with an umbrella, you may have some explaining to do.
    I don't know about that, I've seen some pretty nasty grandmas with some wicked looking umbrellas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links