you hear your car window break, what would you do?

This is a discussion on you hear your car window break, what would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question about a scenario, lets say your home at night, watching T.V. or whatever. you hear the sound of your car window ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: you hear your car window break, what would you do?

I have a question about a scenario,

lets say your home at night, watching T.V. or whatever. you hear the sound of your car window being broken and look out to see somebody rifling through your car, glove compartment, console and whatever else, My question is,how would you confromt him? or would you? assume it takes the police 3 or 4 minutes to respond. what would you do? just curious. It would be really hard for me not to grab my gun and say many,many foul words to him.

My cars are parked in the garage.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    My cars are parked in the garage.
    Absolutely,this is what a garage is for.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I kinda think the person was refering to people who dont have the luxury of a garage
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    Your response will depend on the state your in. I some states Castle Doctrine would cover you confronting the person if a shooting situation arose from it. In states like Virginia, without a Castle Doctrine, you could find yourself in a lot of difficulty over it. Myself, I would call 911, and keep an eye on the individual as best I could, from INSIDE my house. There is nothing left in my truck that is not covered by my insurance. There is definitely nothing worth risking my life over.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post

lets say your home at night, watching T.V. or whatever. you hear the sound of your car window being broken and look out to see somebody rifling through your car, glove compartment, console and whatever else, My question is,how would you confront him? or would you? assume it takes the police 3 or 4 minutes to respond. what would you do? just curious. It would be really hard for me not to grab my gun and say many,many foul words to him.
    Well, not likely you'll hear the sound of breaking glass as you might think. Automotive glass is different than a pane glass window, and especially if it has aftermarket tint on it. Okay....so that's beside the point. If I caught someone in the act of breaking into and stealing things out of my vehicle parked at home, I would dial 911 first. Then, I might step out of the house loaded and intervene (depending).......or I might just turn loose the dog first. Depends on the circumstances and how I feel at the moment. I know I could actually take someone out in front of my house and make the body disappear. Around here, gunshots are somewhat common at any time around the clock. One single shot and my neighbors won't think anything of it. Thing is........would I be committing a homicide killing someone rifling through my vehicle in the middle of the night? Or......would I be justified in doing so because I know there are things in my vehicle that I know can be used as weapons (and against me). The confrontation? You make the call. A red laser in the darkness can have a great impact. Thing is, if it's attached to your weapon, you're aiming the weapon at a possibly unarmed criminal. Many laws dictate that you shouldn't aim at anything unless you are ready to take it out with a shot......AND, when you are in grave danger or confronted with a weapon yourself. Most criminals would best stick to urban territory to my thinking. Out here in the country I think they know the risks are far greater especially around these parts. Leaving empty handed on a steal is one thing.....but not leaving the premises alive is another. In the darkness, one can see or perceive a threat in a lot of ways. What you perceive at the time is what causes you to take action. Be careful, and be ready. We all make our own decisions based on input and how we decipher what we've been told. No matter what you do....always come out on the good side. I'm just saying.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My town just laid off 24 LEOs, so 3-4 minute response ain't happening. The garage is for storing the old lady's 30-yr-old clothing that she won't get rid of. She wonders why I have to reload in the kitchen!

Me and Mister Glock are hitting the floodlights and going out. If said culprit takes off running, he'd better not turn around within the boundries of my yard cause I think he's armed.

But it hasn't happened, so I don't know what I'd really do if it did.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    By George Carlin said garages are for all your stuff

I have to park in the front, so if I hear my window breaking I'm calling the Police. I may be legally able to confront and deal with someone breaking in to my car I don't keep anything in there worth me walking in to an unknown situation.

Who knows if the guy has a spotter out of sight or is already drawn in anticipation. Personally I might toss the keys out and juts tell him to take the whole thing so I can claim insurance and get me another pick up truck
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

911 & Family safe
    Outside lights on, If they do not run, confront loudly from a distance ready for the weapon I believe he has.

SLed

Thanks for the input. I dont have a garage, just a driveway, like Ramrod said , I too, could get away with a few shots and my neighbors wouldnt think anything off it.

RKM
    I'd try to scare them off by yelling and letting my dogs out. Unfortunately, PA has a duty to retreat unless INside the home. I'd stand inside a lit window holding my Mossberg. If that doesn't scare the common car thief, well I guess I'm screwed. Unless he knows the duty to retreat law, chances are, they'll bolt at the sound of dogs charging them or the sight of somebody inside the home with a shotgun.

We have a motion light, and the dogs have barked in the middle of the night simply over somebody just walking past the house. Unfortunately, I usually sleep through it all. The dogs barking in the middle of the night rarely wakes me.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Take a look at what is going on and call the cops and your insurance company. A car is not worth your life or freedom.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post

lets say your home at night, watching T.V. or whatever. you hear the sound of your car window being broken and look out to see somebody rifling through your car, glove compartment, console and whatever else, My question is,how would you confromt him? or would you? assume it takes the police 3 or 4 minutes to respond. what would you do? just curious. It would be really hard for me not to grab my gun and say many,many foul words to him.
    What in your car is worth taking a life over? Or losing yours over? Or going to prison over?

Call 911, let the police handle it. The bad guys get to plan, too. Sometimes their plans work out better than ours. Sometimes, they have accomplices.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It makes a considerable difference if you live in an urban/suburabn or a country/woods environment. What might not be acceptable in one might be in the other.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I know what your all saying is true, but there is something drastically wrong here.
    We're sitting in our houses while someone is breaking into our porperty and stealing it maybe and we're all concerned about us getting into trouble.
    What have we all become ?

I guess I'm a true Dinosaur and have been on this earth too long.
    Our society has gone sour....IMO.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links