Walking dog early in the AM and a car stops at your driveway.

This is a discussion on Walking dog early in the AM and a car stops at your driveway. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This actually happened to me a week or so ago. I walk my dogs two labs early in the AM (still dark). So that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking dog early in the AM and a car stops at your driveway.

Walking dog early in the AM and a car stops at your driveway.

This actually happened to me a week or so ago. I walk my dogs two labs early in the AM (still dark). So that I can still get the family up and ready to school and I can get ready for work.

I was approaching my home and see a car that does not belong in my neighborhood spin around my cul-de-sac driving towards me on the opposite side of the street. I am about 50 feet from my drive when he stops. I put my two dogs in a sit and wait behind a parked car for him to pass. He stays at the end of my drive and flashes his lights for me to pass. I do but continue down the street to the cul-de-sac watching him over my shoulder. I am about twenty feet past him when he jumps out and roots through my garbage and drives off.

WOW, I was on RED! Notes, dogs are trained but not a deffensive, family is locked in the house but probably stirring getting ready to get up. Front porch lights are all on.

2. Remove Ads

I can set anything that even remotely looks like it still works in front of my house and it's gone within the hour, lol. There are a lot of these dumpster divers out there who are looking for your junk to be their treasure. When I used to get out and about more I'd see them driving slowly down the roads on garbage night doing the same thing he did to you. I'll bet it got your heart pumping though, not knowing of their intentions.

That's why you shred any papers with your SSN, credit card, or bank info on it.

And that's why I place the bag(s) of dog poop on top of my trash can, lol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    That's why you shred any papers with your SSN, credit card, or bank info on it.
    ^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^
    And get a big doggy like this , to discourage this type of activity.
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You have a CO, oneshot? (no idea what the other one is)

Sounds like a modern day sheeny man. They used to drive a wagon down the alleys...I guess they have cars now.
    Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe! You did!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Urban Miners.
    Mainly looking for cans. Most have shopping carts around here.
    If they get really hungry or desperate for a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 they will saw off aluminum street light poles, strip the copper out, cut up the pole and then head to the recyclers for quick cash.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I know a guy that was moving and had an old refrigerator in his garage that still worked but looked rough and he had no place to put it where he was moving to so he decided he would just give it away. He put it in his front yard with a "Free Refrigerator - works" sign on it and it sat there for a week. Untouched, no calls, no interest. He put a new sign on it that read, "For Sale $200" and someone stole it before the next day. Just goes to show you the mentallity of people.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^
    And get a big doggy like this , to discourage this type of activity.
    Those are some big dogs. They look like baby bears..lol.

That's funny, Bugdude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackscon View Post
    This actually happened to me a week or so ago. I walk my dogs two labs early in the AM (still dark). So that I can still get the family up and ready to school and I can get ready for work.

I was approaching my home and see a car that does not belong in my neighborhood spin around my cul-de-sac driving towards me on the opposite side of the street. I am about 50 feet from my drive when he stops. I put my two dogs in a sit and wait behind a parked car for him to pass. He stays at the end of my drive and flashes his lights for me to pass. I do but continue down the street to the cul-de-sac watching him over my shoulder. I am about twenty feet past him when he jumps out and roots through my garbage and drives off.

WOW, I was on RED! Notes, dogs are trained but not a deffensive, family is locked in the house but probably stirring getting ready to get up. Front porch lights are all on.
    Forgive me if i don't understand the situation:

I gonna assume your not a person of interest or a high profile target, so your not a person whose paranoid or on the defensive because of job position, title, or associates. I don't know how much training you have so i will give a general statement. A person with extended/serious training looks at this situation uneventful, why... its like a person who cries RACISM all the time, they see it behind every adversity... every tree. Its great to be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, but when do we put our hand on our weapon, or clear our holster of clothing ready to draw our weapon....

The only thing you did wrong was continuing to approach a questionable situation and then having YOUR target behind you, if your approaching something questionable or see something in your path... you STOP or proceed in a opposite direction (reverse or cross street)... if you're a target, don't be an easy one. Now evaluate and watch his/her moves, you... your home or your garbage may be the target of opportunity, if its your home and you don't recognize the individual you call 911, but... a car putting on its parking lights in a cul-de-sac/drive-way isn't a bad guy tactic... not that you shouldn't be-alert be-aware that's always a good thing. Now if he did the same thing but eye balled/targeted you, or address you with intent to approach or start a conversation, i would train that to be a ready situation. We don't want to reach for a baseball bat because there's a fly in the house. We don't want to over-react, that's how accidents happens, we don't want to reach or be hand ready because were unsure of something, yet we want to focus... be-alert... be-ready without breathing heavy... be confident of your next move or reaction to all actions. Good Luck.

Knowledge will make you confident, training will teach you how to react by DEFAULT. We don't want the Barney Fife Syndrome (jumpy-unsure-overreaction)

dumpster diver...I hope you used a shredder
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    Forgive me if i don't understand the situation:

I gonna assume your not a person of interest or a high profile target, so your not a person whose paranoid or on the defensive because of job position, title, or associates. I don't know how much training you have so i will give a general statement. A person with extended/serious training looks at this situation uneventful, why... its like a person who cries RACISM all the time, they see it behind every adversity... every tree. Its great to be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times, but when do we put our hand on our weapon, or clear our holster of clothing ready to draw our weapon....

The only thing you did wrong was continuing to approach a questionable situation and then having YOUR target behind you, if your approaching something questionable or see something in your path... you STOP or proceed in a opposite direction (reverse or cross street)... if you're a target, don't be an easy one. Now evaluate and watch his/her moves, you... your home or your garbage may be the target of opportunity, if its your home and you don't recognize the individual you call 911, but... a car putting on its parking lights in a cul-de-sac/drive-way isn't a bad guy tactic... not that you shouldn't be-alert be-aware that's always a good thing. Now if he did the same thing but eye balled/targeted you, or address you with intent to approach or start a conversation, i would train that to be a ready situation. We don't want to reach for a baseball bat because there's a fly in the house. We don't want to over-react, that's how accidents happens, we don't want to reach or be hand ready because were unsure of something, yet we want to focus... be-alert... be-ready without breathing heavy... be confident of your next move or reaction to all actions. Good Luck.

Knowledge will make you confident, training will teach you how to react by DEFAULT. We don't want the Barney Fife Syndrome (jumpy-unsure-overreaction)
    First no, I am not a person of interest or anything of the sort, but I have had a recent bit of harrassing phone calls with the I know where you live statement, and he did. This is why I was highly alert of the situation. I didn't essentially have any reaction to him other then closer observation. As far as continue or turn around he passed me coming up the street so I had really three options continue on the oposite side which I did, turn in my drive, or turn around which would have been an odd place to turn mid street after coming more then half way down.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackscon View Post

Were you armed?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links