The Picnic - Page 2

The Picnic

This is a discussion on The Picnic within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only smart thing to do is leave. If they are as bad as reputed to be, not only are you outnumbered you are outgunned....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Picnic

VIP Member
    The only smart thing to do is leave. If they are as bad as reputed to be, not only are you outnumbered you are outgunned.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I really think it depends on the individuals principles and convictions here. Are you willing to put it on the line? I think they are not as bad as they think, but are cowards, and when it comes down to it they will back down. Sure your out numbered and maybe outgunned, but which one of them wants to die first?
    Like I said, I agree the smart money is to leave, no doubt about it. My first priority is my families safety. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be very edgy in that situation, but my feet always get stuck on the ground I stand.
    If you carry a badge, you have to walk the walk, it comes with the territory.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; November 3rd, 2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: After thought

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i see leaving as the only option if i havent made the decision to do so before they had a chance to set up...if i had to i would leave whatever was on the table...

i am going to apologize in advance for what i am going to say about bikerrn's response...

a true motorcycle club does not respond to orders in their language with anything but disdain and possible violence...they are a very complex band of dedicated brothers who will stand up for one of their own regardless of whether he is right or wrong and will not hesitate to use force to do so...thats not to say they are a violent lot...it is to say they are a dedicated, possessive and committed lot...in their world they have their own rules and the rules are not contradicted or changed by an outsider...they are also very private...making it difficult sometimes to integrate with them socially unless you are invited to do so (club events or a verbal invitation)...taking a "i'm holding my ground and you dont intimidate me" stance is not an effective one or one i would suggest...they dont respect bravado...they would more than likely crush it...a diplomatic solution would go further than an in your face i dont take crap stance...

using guantes description of this particular group having a reputation for violence and rowdy behaviour i would be less than enthusiastic about hanging around when they arrived unless they made a point of asking me to do so...then i would hope to have enough potatoe salad to go around...this isnt a situation where the tougher guy wins...its a situation where avoidance and/or diplomacy are your friends...played right you may go home knowing a few new and very interesting people...played incorrectly the police might be conducting an investigation of a crime...depending on how far guantes description of the gangs tendancies goes...

oh...and motorcycles make poor speed bumps...a 700 pound chunk of metal is difficult to run over and can do considerable damage to a vehicle...regardless of how big your tires are or whether you have a diesel engine in your big pickup...if they are that commited to making your day a slice of hell they will more than likely succeed...

Best defense is a good offense... Tell the 8 yr old daughter to get in the car with the .22 revolver. Break out the MAK-90, AR m4rgery, and S&W 15-22 from the trunk... hand the AR to the wife and the 15-22 to the son (he's only 9 after all) after they suit up in their vests and then put on mine. Release the "hound" from it's leash and proceed to advance in a skirmish line with me in the center, wife to my left about 50ft, and son to the right about 25ft... distances depending on terrain. Fast aimed shots, no rapid fire. Switch to G19 after exhausting both 30 round mags for the AK to finish off the survivors with coupe de grace shots.

...hmmm... might be better to just leave. Check that... pack up and leave as soon as they show up. I'm a biker and I know better than to hang around 1%rs.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    You, the wife and your two small children and the small family dog have decided to take a ride to the mountains and have a picnic. The wife packs food, drinks and goodies. You drive up to the mountains and find a small picnic/campground just off the highway. You pull in to a picnic spot and set up your picnic on the table provided. There is no one else at the location. There is no cell service and no phone in the campground.

As you start eating twelve to fifteen members of an outlaw motorcycle gang flying colors ride into the spot next to yours about fifteen yards away. You are aware, from the media and other sources of the reputation of this group for violent criminal behavior. There are no obstructions, brush or otherwise between the two sites. They break out some beers and are loud and profane. Shortly they begin making loud comments about your small family dog who is on a leash and using it and a pole as a mop. Thus far they are maintaining their distance, but paying a significant amount of attention to your family. Becoming more brazen, now they begin making unsavory comments about your wife.

You have your EDC and whatever you may carry in your vehicle.

What do you do?
    Find a more pleasant camping spot
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

When they pull up....
    ....I pull out.

I ride nation wide....
    My SA would kick when I see the first bike pull up. I would ID the patch on their back and I'm gone so fast it would give them no opportunity to start something.
    Been there...done that....sold the T-shirts
    There ya go........

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Offer to trade the mop dog for the one that rode in on the back of the leaders bike.
    LOL, that should really calm them down!

Actually, I usually am not to afraid of most biker groups. I think the movies made in the 60's painted them all with a wide brush. The times I have been near a group or individual I have never felt threatened. Last year we were visting the Grand Canyon and a group of bikers was staying in the same very small town. They had "taken over" a sidewalk bar/cafe. I wanted to get some pictures of an antique car down the block from them and parked the car and walked past without a worry. They were just having a few beers and not looking to harras anyone.

In the given scenario though I agree, pack up if you can, if not tell em to enjoy the free food.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post

Actually, I usually am not to afraid of most biker groups. I think the movies made in the 60's painted them all with a wide brush. The times I have been near a group or individual I have never felt threatened. Last year we were visting the Grand Canyon and a group of bikers was staying in the same very small town. They had "taken over" a sidewalk bar/cafe. I wanted to get some pictures of an antique car down the block from them and parked the car and walked past without a worry. They were just having a few beers and not looking to harras anyone.

In the given scenario though I agree, pack up if you can, if not tell em to enjoy the free food.
    i agree with you wholeheartedly....some of the nicest people you ever met and would like to be friends with...but as you stated the scenario paints a different picture of this group...

i am going to apologize in advance for what i am going to say about bikerrn's response...
    No need to apologize. We will each handle it as we see fit, and the chips will fall where they will fall.

Biker

3D
    Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Best defense is a good offense... (fire-fight scene omitted)
    ...hmmm... might be better to just leave. Check that... pack up and leave as soon as they show up. I'm a biker and I know better than to hang around 1%rs.
    ..for me, best defense is DON'T BE THERE!
    No phone service of any kind = no chance for LE back-up.
    Yah, I'd gather my family and leave!
    Probably give 'em the best laugh they've had in hours as I was movin' out.
    I, in my wildest homeboy dreams, could do little against twelve to fifteen members of an outlaw motorcycle gang flying colors that would change where this scenario is going.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i agree with you wholeheartedly....some of the nicest people you ever met and would like to be friends with...but as you stated the scenario paints a different picture of this group...
    Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post

Both of you are right...as posted earlier it's the 1%er's that can cause the trouble as presented in this thread...most of the rest of us are "average joe's" wearing leather and having a GREAT time. (note the avatar)
    There ya go........

I hate those little mop dogs.Useless...

Lets change this around to something that would suit me better.Having a bar b q in walmart parking lot at midnight.Not a joke,i have done this before.Me and my friends are having fun,playing some music,not being too loud.Motorcycle gang comes up,starts making fun of the music.Everybodys got coolers and grills and we cant just pack up and leave quick.Best to ignore them.If they get drunk and try to start something,walking up and start pushing,all the guns come out.And i mean all of em.20 people with .45s and 12 gauges.

Freddy vs Jason episode 10:The night of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    I hate those little mop dogs.Useless...

Lets change this around to something that would suit me better.Having a bar b q in walmart parking lot at midnight.Not a joke,i have done this before.Me and my friends are having fun,playing some music,not being too loud.Motorcycle gang comes up,starts making fun of the music.Everybodys got coolers and grills and we cant just pack up and leave quick.Best to ignore them.If they get drunk and try to start something,walking up and start pushing,all the guns come out.And i mean all of em.20 people with .45s and 12 gauges.

Freddy vs Jason episode 10:The night of lead.
    no..in your case i would invite them in to enjoy the party...ask em if they have a preference for another kind of music and have some fun with it....meanwhile you are in a walmart parking lot and law enforcement isnt far away in most cases...thats your out...

I'm out to enjoy peace and quiet in general. I would leave. If confronted, I'd offer them 'leftovers' and be pleasant. If anyone had an OC, I might admire it. And leave.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    IMO, you've already sat there too long, since they have started making comments and you stated that you already knew their reputation.
    agreed
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links