The Picnic

This is a discussion on The Picnic within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You, the wife and your two small children and the small family dog have decided to take a ride to the mountains and have a ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Picnic

The Picnic

You, the wife and your two small children and the small family dog have decided to take a ride to the mountains and have a picnic. The wife packs food, drinks and goodies. You drive up to the mountains and find a small picnic/campground just off the highway. You pull in to a picnic spot and set up your picnic on the table provided. There is no one else at the location. There is no cell service and no phone in the campground.

As you start eating twelve to fifteen members of an outlaw motorcycle gang flying colors ride into the spot next to yours about fifteen yards away. You are aware, from the media and other sources of the reputation of this group for violent criminal behavior. There are no obstructions, brush or otherwise between the two sites. They break out some beers and are loud and profane. Shortly they begin making loud comments about your small family dog who is on a leash and using it and a pole as a mop. Thus far they are maintaining their distance, but paying a significant amount of attention to your family. Becoming more brazen, now they begin making unsavory comments about your wife.

You have your EDC and whatever you may carry in your vehicle.

What do you do?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

B94
    Leave.
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT - Live Free or Die

VIP Member
    Sell my wife and kids, then leave.

More seriously, I'd have left at the earliest sign of trouble. This is a perilous situation and even a shotty might not do the job if things get out of control.

Best to go ASAP.

RKM
    Leave as fast as I can. They're probably all armed, and I wouldn't want to take my chances. Unless I and every other family member is armed with Glock 18's and 30 rounds mags, I'm getting out of there.

Do what's best for your family, leave.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    pay them to take wife off hands, take children and mop/dog home and celebrate
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I think I would have started packing up as soon as they started arriving. If they asked I'd say "we're all done, the place is yours."
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

A few questions.
    Do you leave your stuff?
    If not who packs, who watches the kids & dog, who covers?
    What if some start to approach?
    Would a confrontation on the road be better, with the chance of them smashing your windows, a crash, etc?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    I think I would have started packing up as soon as they started arriving. If they asked I'd say "we're all done, the place is yours."
    I'm not going to attempt to hold ground I don't own or have an investment in.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A few questions.
    Do you leave your stuff?

Not unless I have to and I judge the situation to be going downhill rapidly.

If not who packs, who watches the kids & dog, who covers?

She packs. I shoot, if it comes to that.
    While my wife is actually a more accurate shooter, I have less hesitation to do things that may be considered grusome.

What if some start to approach?

I'll make certain that they know that I'm not welcoming visitors to the campfire in their language.

Would a confrontation on the road be better, with the chance of them smashing your windows, a crash, etc?

While I ride a scoot, I will be the first to admit that the cage provides better protection and bikes make a real good speed bump.
    Biker

Offer to trade the mop dog for the one that rode in on the back of the leaders bike.

Why would I even begin to communicate? I would leave ASAP, hopefully with my stuff. If I have to get out of Dodge without my picnic...not a problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    I suppose the smart answer is to have been already pulling out by the time they got there, since you could obviously hear them coming from a distance. Unless they were riding Goldwings, lol.
    IMO, you've already sat there too long, since they have started making comments and you stated that you already knew their reputation. However, to simply leave after the comments started shows you are afraid and bullies typically get more brazen when they see they have affected you. I have no idea what I'd do... probably say something to them like mentioned, the campsite's yours guys. That could help break the ice and show you aren't afraid to communicate with them. Then keep an eye on them while the wife packs up, with me doing minimal work. I would be hoping like H they just drop things and let us go, because you are surely outnumbered. I would be trying to put all those TV movies that have this same scenario out of my head.

Yes , the smart answer is leave. Unfortunately, I'm not smart. I would probably have the kids and wife leave, call for some backup when they had signal, and go handle my business. Like I said, I'm not smart, I just can't bring myself to let a bunch of thugs breaking the law run me off.

VIP Member
    Leave, and they can have my bologna sandwiches as well.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links