I almost drew on a 8 year old kid.

This is a discussion on I almost drew on a 8 year old kid. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It just happened. I pulled in my driveway and was getting my work stuff situated. I opened my door while I finished some paperwork. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I almost drew on a 8 year old kid.

I almost drew on a 8 year old kid.

It just happened.

I pulled in my driveway and was getting my work stuff situated. I opened my door while I finished some paperwork. I heard a thunk behind me and running footsteps coming towards me. I dropped my stuff and drew my gun and brought it up as I started to turn around and get out of the car.

Then I see a little kid with a yellow coat on running with yellow bags in his hands. I didn't see a weapon and it was a very little kid so I didn't point my weapon at him. The kid ran right past me and into the neighbors yard. He threw one of the bags at the door of my neighbors house.

Then I realized.... It was Newspapers. It was one of the small weekly publications.

There was a car up the street with its hazzards on. I assume this was the child's parent.

I thought about going up to the person and berating them...
    A: For Doing this at such an odd time.
    B: For making their little child do their work.
    C: For not realizing its not a good idea for their little kid to be running around peoples houses in the dark bouncing newspapers off their front doors.

I was surprised how fast I was able to draw my weapon without even thinking about it. And that my head was clear enough to assess the situation quickly.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    And that my head was clear enough to assess the situation quickly.
    This is probably the most important thing, you were able to assess the threat (or lack of) before pulling the trigger.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I pulled in my driveway and was getting my work stuff situated. I opened my door while I finished some paperwork.
    Task fixation is/was your problem. If you were aware of your surroundings you would have seen the kid down the block before he got to you.

Take that stuff inside and finish. Pulling into your driveway or as you go to your car is the best time to blindside you for a carjacking or to take you back inside for a robbery.

Personally, I think you're too uptight. Drawing on an eight year old selling newspaper subscriptions should be saved for those service members overseas and the shoe-shine boys with grenades in the box. This is America, and we should still be aware, but not go over the edge. Be careful in everything you do. Being aware is one thing........taking a defensive stance over a somewhat normal situation is another. You've got to be ready for the unexpected, and you need to remain respectable in your decisions. You never want to be reported to the local police as being a weirdo or someone who has displayed a gun when the circumstances dictate you were in the wrong.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Personally, I think you're too uptight. Drawing on an eight year old selling newspaper subscriptions should be saved for those service members overseas and the shoe-shine boys with grenades in the box. This is America, and we should still be aware, but not go over the edge. Be careful in everything you do. Being aware is one thing........taking a defensive stance over a somewhat normal situation is another. You've got to be ready for the unexpected, and you need to remain respectable in your decisions. You never want to be reported to the local police as being a weirdo or someone who has displayed a gun when the circumstances dictate you were in the wrong.
    +1000. Huge overreaction IMO. Kids are kids, they run, jump skip, and do silly things. Good lord dude, unless you live in the Bronx I would relax a bit.

Do you do that when you hear joggers going by you?

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I will go with this one +1
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

The kid wasn't jogging. He was sprinting and he was on my porch. And he threw a paper at the storm door that made a loud thud.

I didn't point my weapon at him. And because it was PITCH DARK they wouldn't have been able to see it anyway.

I reacted to the bang and sprinting footsteps coming at me from an area that no one should be in. Once I saw the kid I realized there was no problem.

I am however guilty of generally being an uptight person.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

The kid wasn't jogging. He was sprinting and he was on my porch. And he threw a paper at the storm door that made a loud thud.
    Aware no doubt, but still too uptight depending. We'll never be in your shoes. Don't take it personally. You're the one who elicited the forum's input on the matter. Take it for what it's worth. Our daily decisions come by circumstance. Nobody ever has the right to tell you you were wrong in any given situation.

You've got to slow down and smell the coffee...you're sounded a little tense.
    Stay armed...but keep the head on a swivel...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I bet you will play this over and over in your mind tonight, I know I would. This could have turned out really bad.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

I must have missed the part about him being on your porch. That does make more sense than if he was just running down the street. Didn't mean to offend you and none of us were there so we can't say for sure what we would have done.

Be safe out there.

So if it was the parent whould have you shot them?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I must have missed the part about him being on your porch. That does make more sense than if he was just running down the street. Didn't mean to offend you and none of us were there so we can't say for sure what we would have done.

Be safe out there.
    My fault... I didnt explain it very well in my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    So if it was the parent whould have you shot them?
    If they had a weapon yes.

If they didn't have a weapon no.

Perhaps I acted prematurely in drawing my gun. But I did not point it because I was not yet sure of my target. And I stood down when I recognized that there was no threat.

I'd rather react early than draw my weapon too late.

I wasn't there, so I will merely point out that drawing a weapon too soon can escalate a situation where otherwise there would be no issue.

For example, what if the kid's parent had seen your gun?

Just something to think about.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links