Question about stun guns and pacemakers

This is a discussion on Question about stun guns and pacemakers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DaveH I agree, absolute! BTW -- I wonder if a Taser or Stun Gun has a more jolt that a auto defibrillator? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about stun guns and pacemakers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

I agree, absolute!

BTW -- I wonder if a Taser or Stun Gun has a more jolt that a auto defibrillator? Anyone have a clue?
    Dave, I'm not sure I know what you are referring to as an auto-defibrillator. Do you mean the ones which are implanted and are with you all the time, or do you mean the external ones which are found as First Aid equipment in public places such as airports, and which will automatically determine whether or not a shock is needed?

I've hear that the implanted ones give quite a jolt, but again, it would take a biomedical engineer or maybe a physician who specializes in electro-cardiology to answer our questions more definitively.

As for magnets and magnetic fields, my wife has had a couple of unpleasant experience just walking past the electronics section of our local Sams. Her pacemaker settings don't change, but she somehow senses that things aren't right and has to leave the area. And, we have had at least one interesting nasty encounter with a TSA agent who ignored the Medical Card and tried to wand her. I'm lucky I didn't get arrested over that one.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

I agree, absolute!

BTW -- I wonder if a Taser or Stun Gun has a more jolt that a auto defibrillator? Anyone have a clue?
    Its more of a question about volts vs. amps and the way the energy is delivered. I do believe a defib is more powerful, but less effective as a weapon because of the way the charge is delivered.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    There are many documented instances where a stun gun has been used by a bad guy as a means to totally incapacitate an innocent for the purpose of robbing or kidnapping (or in some instances) sexually assaulting that innocent individual.

Using a stun gun or Taser or even OC spray offensively (as VS defensively) is a felonious act.

In addition if you are legally armed and subsequently incapacitated by Stun Gun then that is equal to giving your firearm over to a felon and then he may just decide to kill you with your own firearm while you have been rendered helpless and are attempting to recover.

I would think that reacting to a stun gun attack with deadly force would be justified but, then again I am not a lawyer.

I agree, absolute!

Here is a link that might help.

http://www.resuscitationcentral.com/...asic-waveform/
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Yup, it might help if I could understand it past the first paragraph. Someone please translate that article for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yup, it might help if I could understand it past the first paragraph. Someone please translate that article for the rest of us.
    This isn't an easy subject. Maybe this will be more helpful. Skip to page 4, where it talks about a 9 volt battery and a 1200 volt taser.

http://incenter.medical.philips.com/...0%26vernum%3d3
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Are we talking continuous, demand, defib? Lot's of variables.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Senior Moderator
    Interesting topic.

A subject with a higher end pacemaker was shocked with a tazer, and the pacemaker recorded the event. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...1A4B5F6.d03t02

It is very interesting that the pacemaker recorded ventricular capture by the taxer during the shock. In non-geek term, this means that during the application of the shock, the taser was in control of the heart's two primary pumping chambers. Given the rate at which the taser shock switches polarity, it seems likely that there was little or no blood being pumped during those few seconds.

The pacemaker functioned normally following the shock.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    This question is mainly directed at the medical folk. Stun guns are sold as a less than lethal means of self-defense but if someone were to use it on a person with a pacemaker would it be considered lethal. As I do have a pacemaker would an attacker armed with a stun gun be considered justification for deadly force?
    This is interesting, I haven't read all the responses, but I would think you would be justified considering that your life could be ended, a taser or stun gun can kill, so in your case, you already know that your pacemaker is vulnerable to such shocks, I can't see a Prosecutor or Jury finding you guilty of anything other then self-defense if it even went that far. Good question for a criminal attorney though or your county prosecutors office.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links