At the gas pump.

This is a discussion on At the gas pump. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You;re at the local gas station getting gas. All you have is pepper spray (you left your gun int he car for some reason) A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At the gas pump.

At the gas pump.

You;re at the local gas station getting gas. All you have is pepper spray (you left your gun int he car for some reason)

A panhandler starts walking towards you. He gets within 12 feet and you tell him thats close enough. He keeps advancing. What do you do? Your pepper spray is in your left pocket, knife in the right.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

Is a unarmed panhandler a threat?
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Lead Moderator
    1. be armed. 2. shut off pump and get in vehicle , lock doors.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

He gets within 12 feet and you tell him thats close enough. He keeps advancing. What do you do? Your pepper spray is in your left pocket, knife in the right.
    Assuming he's not advancing at a high rate of speed (in which case you just pepper spray him ASAP) you "tell" him again to back off ... this time at a volume and tone of voice that would make a Marine DI wince (maybe a few colorful expletives included).

If he continues to advance at that point you pepper spray him.

DC Founder
    I'd tell him to move on that I had nothing for him and leave the pepper spray and knife where they were. If he starts something, he'll be the one paying at the pump....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    If he is of no threat, you tell him to move on.

Almost every scenario covered above your initial question you need to supply more information if you want a more definitive answer.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    No need to pepper spray someone cause their hard of hearing....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    I use the same response for almost all of them. Give them "the look" and put my hands in my pockets. I worked in downtown DC for years and it worked well there.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Gas pump's another weapon.

We really need more info... like is he armed?

Josh <><

Spraying an unarmed panhandler who is approaching you at a gas pump is asking for trouble on your part. Where I live... this has gotten to be almost "Expected". I live downtown Houston...and on the edge of downtown mear my loft is a Shell station. In fact, if they dont approach me while getting gas, I look around wondering where everyone went.

I drive a BMW, and in that particular area, I must have "I hand out loose pocket change" written all over my forehead. I am guarded, but you also have to have a 6th sense about these things. 99% its just because you may actually give them some money to go buy the 40oz. Colt 45. I just say "Sorry... good luck to you though!" They have in the past always moved on. I have never been hostile, nor have they ever been hostile. <--- to date. Its the 1% that makes me keep on my toes, but in my opinion you can tell and get a sense of real danger when it approaches. Drawing a weapon such as a knife/pepperspray on a bum or panhandler/thug out for loose change can quickly cause a non-issue to esclate very quickly. Some of those people are harmless... until YOU pull a weapon. Then they feel threatened. You could get hit with esclating the situation. Develop your 6th sense, and it will serve you well.

Here the transiets are starting to get more agressive, even up to assaulting you. They know that all they will get is a warning and even if they go to the jail house, they are out within 30 minutes. Had one here get so mad that people weren't giving him money that he threw human waste into some cars. He was back out throwing human waste again within 45 minutes. The police, when called, said to "just roll up your windows".

Same goes with the property theft. They know that they are 1st class citizens who can almost get away with murder.

Me, with what is going on here, would have sprayed him if moved closer.

Sorry, but I live here and know the score.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Here the transiets are starting to get more agressive, even up to assaulting you. They know that all they will get is a warning and even if they go to the jail house, they are out within 30 minutes. Had one here get so mad that people weren't giving him money that he threw human waste into some cars. He was back out throwing human waste again within 45 minutes. The police, when called, said to "just roll up your windows".

Same goes with the property theft. They know that they are 1st class citizens who can almost get away with murder.

Me, with what is going on here, would have sprayed him if moved closer.

Sorry, but I live here and know the score.

Wayne
    With that scenario above, they are not simply panhandlers. Nor are they "normal". If they throw feces in/on your car then they are 99% insane or mentally challenged. Thats still not legitimate grounds to draw a weapon. I dont believe that the situation described is now the "routine" occurance of what happens at the gas pump.

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    2 shots to the center of the pump just below the price display. Have you seen the prices lately? If that's not robbery I don't know what is.

Is there anyone here who has really participated in this scenario?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links