While smoking, never threaten a man with a gasoline sprayer.... - Page 2

While smoking, never threaten a man with a gasoline sprayer....

This is a discussion on While smoking, never threaten a man with a gasoline sprayer.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep a couple bucks in my right jeans pocket, the small one just under the belt and just by my handgun. I can withdraw ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: While smoking, never threaten a man with a gasoline sprayer....

VIP Member
    I keep a couple bucks in my right jeans pocket, the small one just under the belt and just by my handgun. I can withdraw whichever seems more appropriate at the moment, but tossing a couple of bucks beats the other options and might be a kind act.

Clearly, judgment is called for in evaluating the approaching individual, and strategic retreat needs to be kept as a possibility, as too MA options for breaking free or parrying if need be. I can also give up my wallet with a smile. They won't find much useful in there.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by king1138 View Post
    I hate to be the party pooper here, but a lit cigarette is not hot enough to ignite gasoline. In reality, gasoline is not even all that flammable. It's the vapors that you have to worry about, but either way a lit cigarette won't light it. I'm an auto tech, so I spend a lot of time around fuels. I've seen people toss a cig onto a puddle of gas, I've even seen someone toss a lit match onto a puddle of gas. It just puts out the flame. However, gasoline can cause some pretty serious chemical burns, so your threat was still a valid one. Just don't expect a fiery plume when the fuel hits someone smoking a cigarette.
    This is without a doubt the worst bit of information that I've ever seen posted on this forum. Ever smell gasoline? You're smelling the VAPOR. All you need is a wick (clothes) or atomization (breeze) and surprise.

Come on over to my party and we'll let you try your theory out.

P.S. I've been a auto tech since we were called mechanics.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thanks king: I was reading the initial thread and, being a chemical engineer, my first thought was old darkray was going to be IN for a big disappointing surprise, although i would think being doused with gasoline would have been enough for the moocher.

This would seem to indicate that a match will work.

http://society.ezineseeker.com/the-s...41315ae54.html
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Gasoline being hurled through the air and spreading out on the person and ground brings more surface area of the liquid in contact with the air than in a container. I assure you vapors will be present in the air close to the liquid as gasoline evaporates fairly quickly. The vapors are highly combustable. This is why there are a fair number of gas pump fires attributable to static electricity sparks between people's hand and the handle (never get back into your car while pumping gas with the lever latch). The act of filling your tank with liquid pushes the vapors out of the tank as the air in the tank is displaced with liquid. If a fire bursts do not remove the pump handle!!! Click it off or let the lever go and get back leaving the pump handle in the tank opening. The fumes will burn out very quick and no more will come out as the liquid is no longer pushing vapor out and the nozzle is blocking the hole.

A match will indeed light the vapors unless the flame goes out before it gets to them. A cigarette may if the person were puffing on it or the wind oxygenated the ambient smolder into a spark or slight flame, but not necessarily. Just depends.

From Mythbusters tests:
    It is possible to ignite a pool of gasoline using only a cigarette.
    partly plausible

A cigarette has the potential to light a pool of gasoline but just doesn’t have enough sustained heat. Gas ignites between 500 F and 540 F, the cigarette at its hottest was between 450 F and 500 F but only when it was actually being smoked. An ignition is very improbable.
    Last edited by BugDude; November 6th, 2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added mythbusters info
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Times are tough and most of us don't mind giving a couple bucks to someone in need provided they take the mannerly approach when asking and it sounds like He did not. I know first hand how far one of those gas nozzle will shoot fuel into the air if it's locked into the max fill positon and you take it out to get the kink out of the hose for the nice lady. If your ever threatened at a gas station the nozzle is good for 10+' Nice post DarkRayz
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Gas sprayed in the face is as effective as pepper spray.

I believe in being charitable. I give at Church to many causes, I donate to charities, I participate in opportunities at work (employee assistance fund, specific employee situations directly, sponsoring kids or families during holidays). I'm not comfortable with situations as the OP described (bumming on the streets). Call me jaded, but I prefer more structured methods.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    This gasoline vs cigarette scenario reminds me of mouse gun caliber discussions. I'm not willing to stand in front of any mouse gun fired at me and I'm not willing to stand in front of any flowing gas nozzle while smoking a lit cigarette. I don't won't to wind up on those Darwin Award lists.

Regarding the OP..........it worked, it had a psychological effect on this guy and he backed off.

Personally I'd be happy to help someone needy/down on their luck.....and have done so, though I won't typically be "paying them off" with a couple of bucks as a "reward" for them slipping into my space, catching me off-guard, jeopardizing my safety, then insulting me.

How big is that gas nozzle? 12 gauge-ish?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRayz View Post
    There's a pregnant pause here for about 5 seconds, he glares at me. Then I gently raise the gas muzzle up and toward his face just a teensy weensy bit.
    A "loaded" question, silent though it was. His aggressive attitude earned every ounce of your silent refusal to be bullied. He'd met his match. Or, IOW, good that he didn't.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

3D
    I guess all those gasoline-doused construction-trash bonfires I lit when I was a kid were some kind of fantasy!?.

I'm liking BugDude's structured charity approach - appeasing a street bum feels like feeding a crocodile so he won't eat me.
    Last edited by 3D; November 7th, 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: my bad grammmer
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

I give to someone bumming money VERY infrequently. In the last ten years I can think of only two times of charity outside of church or St. Jude Hospital.

About five years ago I stopped at McD's in Atlanta for breakfast. An old man asked me on the way in if I could spare change for a cup of coffee. I told him to come inside with me and I bought him breakfast not just a cup of coffee.

If I were approached as the OP was my reaction would be much the same. In my mind a young able bodied person should be working and if they REALLY need help then church is the place to find it. I myself did in fact borrow $200 from the church in a new town when I was totally down due to the economy. I payed back the money after a week when I got a job.

I've thought of this as a decent defense many times while pumping gas...even if the perp doesnt have a cig. I figure the thought of being doused in gas would be scary in itself.

Even scarier...how many have seen new video screens above the pumps at stations near them? We're seeing more and more of them here. All I can think of is...when will the scum start to realize that there are new victims just waiting for them, completely distracted?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Video screens or not, those who are unaware, will be so and those who are aware, will be so.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    This is without a doubt the worst bit of information that I've ever seen posted on this forum. Ever smell gasoline? You're smelling the VAPOR. All you need is a wick (clothes) or atomization (breeze) and surprise.

Come on over to my party and we'll let you try your theory out.

P.S. I've been a auto tech since we were called mechanics.
    Agreed, don't try this at home folks.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I always wonder where the people bumming gasoline find the money for the cigarettes they always seem to be smoking.
    +1..
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links