While smoking, never threaten a man with a gasoline sprayer....

This is a discussion on While smoking, never threaten a man with a gasoline sprayer.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by king1138 I hate to be the party pooper here, but a lit cigarette is not hot enough to ignite gasoline. In reality, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: While smoking, never threaten a man with a gasoline sprayer....

Quote Originally Posted by king1138 View Post
    I hate to be the party pooper here, but a lit cigarette is not hot enough to ignite gasoline. In reality, gasoline is not even all that flammable. It's the vapors that you have to worry about, but either way a lit cigarette won't light it. I'm an auto tech, so I spend a lot of time around fuels. I've seen people toss a cig onto a puddle of gas, I've even seen someone toss a lit match onto a puddle of gas. It just puts out the flame. However, gasoline can cause some pretty serious chemical burns, so your threat was still a valid one. Just don't expect a fiery plume when the fuel hits someone smoking a cigarette.
    if you spray the cigarette directly yes it may put it out...if you spray the guy in the chest the vapors may ignite.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    His lit cigarette alone would have been reason enough for me to send him packing.

Yes, you can drop a lit cig into a bucket of gasoline and it will most likely go out. But if it happens to hit the bucket rim and throw off a shower of sparks, you're gonna be looking for an extinguisher. Bucket rim ... gas station concrete--no difference.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glad everything turned out OK, DR.

This reminds me of a situation I had a few weeks ago when 2 shady characters, one on a bicycle, were asking me and my buddy for a ride 6mi away. They wanted to hop in the back of my truck. The scary part was the one on the bike was circling after I first declined him then his buddy came walking from behind the pump, where I just happened to look for a 2nd guy, and walked right up to me trying to shake my hand, make small talk, convince me to drive them etc. I was on orange just by their demeanor and thankfully my buddy who was still in the truck was keeping an eye on guy #1, had his hand on the door handle ready to jump out if things went south(he doesn't carry, YET).
    This turned out to be a non-event but it reinforced the point for my friend and I that gas stations can be a dangerous place and your head must be on a swivel!

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    This is without a doubt the worst bit of information that I've ever seen posted on this forum. Ever smell gasoline? You're smelling the VAPOR. All you need is a wick (clothes) or atomization (breeze) and surprise.

Come on over to my party and we'll let you try your theory out.

P.S. I've been a auto tech since we were called mechanics.
    I am not an auto tech or a mechanic, but I have transported some of them in the back of my ambulance to the burn unit.

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae1.cfm
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    I always wonder where the people bumming gasoline find the money for the cigarettes they always seem to be smoking.
    +100 since you can buy at least 2-3 gallons of gasoline in most states for the price of one pack of cigarettes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Hi folks, well since my original post I stopped at same truck stop again and saw this same "veteran" milling around the parking lot, talking with another guy, looking most unlike a stranded veteran trying to get "home"!

This time, and ever since, I'm more alert whilst fueling....

DR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links