This is more a general environment question - Page 2

This is more a general environment question

This is a discussion on This is more a general environment question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More important than any weapon in your hand, or pocket is the brain between your ears. The right attitude and quick thinking to deescalate a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    More important than any weapon in your hand, or pocket is the brain between your ears. The right attitude and quick thinking to deescalate a situation is worth more than its abstract weight in gold. So my advice is relax stay sharp and donít let the drunks bother you.

Sponsor
    Just to keep pounding on the deceased equine...
    You already have the right attitude and appear to have a good grasp of SA. You are in an unenviable situation and, as others have said are probably not able to always avoid situations that I might consider to be high risk.

Do keep in mind that while your attitude and concern for the feelings of the mythical innocent aggressor's family and friends is admirable, in the end you are responsible for you and yours and they are responsible for themselves.

I made a living in cover bands for quite a few years (probably in much less respectable places than you are frequenting) and found that most hot heads can be talked down or bribed with a free drink before things get out of hand. Obviously this will not work in every situation, but for the most part clear thinking and flattery are great SD tools.
    Last edited by luvmy40; November 8th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Think of the consequences. If you get caught carrying illegally, you will never again get to lawfully carry. It's just not worth the risk. Stay smart, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSOrator View Post
    So what I'm getting at is, if I absolutely can't get away from a situation and there is a weapon involved I keep battling with the idea of pulling my gun on a young, drunk, stupid kid who's parents are probably just a normal suburban couple and this kid did well enough in school to get into the best college in the country, I could see the headlines already. And I don't know if I want that kind of potential burden, so essentially, I am very close to leaving the gun in the safe for quite sometime and stop carrying.
    This is just one of the various questions you should be asking yourself, regarding the use of force on another person. It's particularly important if using deadly force, knowing what you're prepared to do, unprepared to do, willing to do even though you're going to be in deep feces for doing it, and so on.

Here is some of the questioning that I did, before I ever carried: To Carry or not to carry: What thinking did you go through? As some have suggested, these are the sorts of questions you should absolutely be asking yourself when considering the use of force.

It's not easy, contemplating the potential for taking a life. Even if it's justifiable, your actions will have resulted in a life being halted. Not your fault, but the life is gone, along with it (by all accounts) any semblance of a normal life you had expected to lead.

It's a very subjective, personal thing. For myself, I am unwilling to be victimized, having everything taken from me and to have my family impacted in that way. And so, I carry, train and work on how best to survive situations that I do not want to be in.

What you're speaking of, specifically, is being caught in a situation in which someone is violently attacking you, but in which you're fully aware that other person is "out of it" to one degree or another. My question in those instances and when considering such scenarios has been: am I willing to have my loved ones get a 2am phone call stating that I've been murdered, or am I willing to do everything in my power to halt the violence and survive the situation? For me, the answer has been the same every time.

Tip: If you haven't done so already, pick up a copy of the book In The Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob. While written about 30yrs ago, it is still an exceptional resource for understanding what's involved with the use of deadly force and the carrying of a firearm as a defensive, life-saving tool.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Think of the consequences. If you get caught carrying illegally, you will never again get to lawfully carry. It's just not worth the risk. Stay smart, stay safe.
    Nothing illegal about what I'm doing in Pennsylvania.

I'm fairly sure this belongs here.

I'm an undergrad in a college town (State College) and there isn't much here to do but drink, fortunately I can't afford those kind of habits. It's important to mention that I find myself carrying less and less now that I am here. This is because about 50% of my time out of the home is on campus, which unfortunately would get me expelled if I were to carry on campus.

There has been an alarming increase in violent crimes this year, although almost none were reported last year, in the past couple months there have been numerous stabbings (5 in one weekend), and hand full of firearms drawn at crowded parties (none discharged) and a lot of assaults. Just last night a friend of mine was jumped by five men, (he is okay for the most part, pretty roughed up, I do not know the details of the fight other than he was drunk so I would assume he isn't free of any blame). Because of this I have been carrying more and more, but feel really uncomfortable in this environment.

I am a musician and I make the majority of my disposable income playing in a cover band at house parties and bars. When I know I will be drinking my guns stay locked at home. With the increase in violence I have been carrying more and drinking less.

But THIS is what concerns me the most, a lot of these violent acts have involved undergraduate students (sometimes even freshman) that are intoxicated or high. There have been two close calls, where I was literally able to walk away from the situation and I feel like this will be the solution in most cases. I used to think I had good judgement of situations in terms of how violent they could get, but never in my dreams would I imagine a freshman college student pulling a knife on me and stabbing me for the worst reasons ever (who knows why this violence is happening, probably women, testosterone, etc).

So what I'm getting at is, if I absolutely can't get away from a situation and there is a weapon involved I keep battling with the idea of pulling my gun on a young, drunk, stupid kid who's parents are probably just a normal suburban couple and this kid did well enough in school to get into the best college in the country, I could see the headlines already. And I don't know if I want that kind of potential burden, so essentially, I am very close to leaving the gun in the safe for quite sometime and stop carrying.

What are the alternatives? Keep doing what I'm doing, always travel in groups, never instigate or antagonize, always walk away when possible, if necessary call the police, defend myself with nonviolent methods, etc. But I feel like having my firearm could potentially escalate situations and appear very unfavorable for me even if the situation is completely 100% justified in every single manner.

I'm looking for insight here, maybe any other college students on the board, personal experiences, etc. I'm sure one or two members will crucify me saying "carry 100% of the time" or "if you don't feel comfortable carrying than you should never carry" but let me assure you that is not the case, I am very comfortable and competent and have faith in my judgment, I am just not comfortable in this environment.
    Carry, and protect yourself in a reasonable manner...
    OR
    Let the family you leave behind sue the college for not protecting you and providing a safe environment...

PS Having a firearm does not escalate situations... removing it from the holster and letting people see it does. You say you trust your judgment? go with that.

Sled

Quote Originally Posted by 1SGCasey View Post
    Have you considered carrying pepper spray or some other nonlethal protection? Comes in handy sometimes.

Stay safe.
    I cant believe it took nine replies before we got to pepper spray! This sounds like a good solution. Maybe take a self defense class too. I bet the college even offers some.
    As far as having to take out a drunk freshman, do what you have to do. How would your parents feel if you were killed after getting into a great college and being almost ready to start the rrest of your life?

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Thanks guys, you've all offered really useful outlooks and opinions and I sincerely appreciate that.
    Would you mind if I privately messaged you with some questions as well as some advice. I have questions about PSU and am thinking of applying to grad school there.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Would you mind if I privately messaged you with some questions as well as some advice. I have questions about PSU and am thinking of applying to grad school there.
    PM Sent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links