This is more a general environment question

This is a discussion on This is more a general environment question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm fairly sure this belongs here. I'm an undergrad in a college town (State College) and there isn't much here to do but drink, fortunately ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is more a general environment question

This is more a general environment question

I'm fairly sure this belongs here.

I'm an undergrad in a college town (State College) and there isn't much here to do but drink, fortunately I can't afford those kind of habits. It's important to mention that I find myself carrying less and less now that I am here. This is because about 50% of my time out of the home is on campus, which unfortunately would get me expelled if I were to carry on campus.

There has been an alarming increase in violent crimes this year, although almost none were reported last year, in the past couple months there have been numerous stabbings (5 in one weekend), and hand full of firearms drawn at crowded parties (none discharged) and a lot of assaults. Just last night a friend of mine was jumped by five men, (he is okay for the most part, pretty roughed up, I do not know the details of the fight other than he was drunk so I would assume he isn't free of any blame). Because of this I have been carrying more and more, but feel really uncomfortable in this environment.

I am a musician and I make the majority of my disposable income playing in a cover band at house parties and bars. When I know I will be drinking my guns stay locked at home. With the increase in violence I have been carrying more and drinking less.

But THIS is what concerns me the most, a lot of these violent acts have involved undergraduate students (sometimes even freshman) that are intoxicated or high. There have been two close calls, where I was literally able to walk away from the situation and I feel like this will be the solution in most cases. I used to think I had good judgement of situations in terms of how violent they could get, but never in my dreams would I imagine a freshman college student pulling a knife on me and stabbing me for the worst reasons ever (who knows why this violence is happening, probably women, testosterone, etc).

So what I'm getting at is, if I absolutely can't get away from a situation and there is a weapon involved I keep battling with the idea of pulling my gun on a young, drunk, stupid kid who's parents are probably just a normal suburban couple and this kid did well enough in school to get into the best college in the country, I could see the headlines already. And I don't know if I want that kind of potential burden, so essentially, I am very close to leaving the gun in the safe for quite sometime and stop carrying.

What are the alternatives? Keep doing what I'm doing, always travel in groups, never instigate or antagonize, always walk away when possible, if necessary call the police, defend myself with nonviolent methods, etc. But I feel like having my firearm could potentially escalate situations and appear very unfavorable for me even if the situation is completely 100% justified in every single manner.

I'm looking for insight here, maybe any other college students on the board, personal experiences, etc. I'm sure one or two members will crucify me saying "carry 100% of the time" or "if you don't feel comfortable carrying than you should never carry" but let me assure you that is not the case, I am very comfortable and competent and have faith in my judgment, I am just not comfortable in this environment.

2. Remove Ads

"....never instigate or antagonize, always walk away when possible, if necessary call the police, defend myself with nonviolent methods..."

You should be doing these things above anyway. Also, avoid potentially bad places and situations in the first place. Carrying a firearm is not a replacement for these things, it is an enhancement. The firearm should be your last resort when no other option is available and your life is in danger.

Remember "The Stupid Rule" - Don't hang around with stupid people, don't go to stupid places, and don't do stupid things.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You are what you eat.Like Bug said,maybe you need a better class of friends.Ouch,that was hypocritical.

Or at the least,dont drink.I know its fun,but Dr. Pepper is really good too.

Some people stop carrying because of the burdens it places on them, or the potential aftermath of a deadly encounter that they in fact survive.

There's nothing wrong with that, but one needs to take a hard look at themselves and their choices to make that decision. I myself have said it before, and I'll say it again: "I'm selfish, and I will not give you my life without a fight, and I'm mean enough to take you with me."

I avoid what I consider "hotspots" and potential problems. In fact I go out of my way to do so knowing what I know. If Johnny College Student decides to get stupid with me, I will not play. When I play, I play for keeps, and I do not bluff. I have seen pure evil, and I prepare myself each day, while I have no desire to, to meet pure evil on it's terms and fight it using it's tactics. I will be as ruthless as my aggressor if you force me to act. Young, alcohol, testosterone, and lack of parental supervision all make for one deadly cauldron.

It sounds to me like you are faced with a conundrum. I cannot tell you what to do, as that is a decision that only you can make for yourself. Good luck in your arriving to a conclusion that is right for you at this time. It sounds to me that you are young, but with a maturity far beyond your years. That I commend. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    As another person who spends a lot of time on university campuses. I don't carry on campus as the consequences are too high. It is legal in my state, but would most certainly lead to calling the SWAT team followed by expulsion. Like it or not, it is the day and age we live in. The legally carried firearm on campus fight should be done in the legislature and courts, not on campus while students are trying to study.

The greatest improvements in safety come form lifestyle improvements and smart decisions, not from a hunk of metal on your hip. If the concerts you are playing are dangerous, stop going to them. If they are not, be careful, be vigilant, but don't spend your life worrying about what could happen.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Some people stop carrying because of the burdens it places on them, or the potential aftermath of a deadly encounter that they in fact survive.

There's nothing wrong with that, but one needs to take a hard look at themselves and their choices to make that decision. I myself have said it before, and I'll say it again: "I'm selfish, and I will not give you my life without a fight, and I'm mean enough to take you with me."

I avoid what I consider "hotspots" and potential problems. In fact I go out of my way to do so knowing what I know. If Johnny College Student decides to get stupid with me, I will not play. When I play, I play for keeps, and I do not bluff. I have seen pure evil, and I prepare myself each day, while I have no desire to, to meet pure evil on it's terms and fight it using it's tactics. I will be as ruthless as my aggressor if you force me to act. Young, alcohol, testosterone, and lack of parental supervision all make for one deadly cauldron.

It sounds to me like you are faced with a conundrum. I cannot tell you what to do, as that is a decision that only you can make for yourself. Good luck in your arriving to a conclusion that is right for you at this time. It sounds to me that you are young, but with a maturity far beyond your years. That I commend. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Great post. I can only echo what Biker has said.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'll be the second echo. This can be applied in every one's life, not just a college campus.

3D
    So let me be a reverberating echo to BikerRN's post.

I've read it a few times. There's plenty there. (e.g.: I avoid what I consider "hotspots" and potential problems. In fact I go out of my way to do so knowing what I know. If Johnny College Student decides to get stupid with me, I will not play. . .

I would encourage you to not let your conclusion simply be the point at which you got tired of thinking about it. You are asking some very important questions. Unfortunately, in my opinion, wisdom cannot be taught . . wisdom comes from experiencing life; and life is its own discipline.

Check your backtrail, and be safe.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

What is more important to you, drinking or self-defense? I'd avoid the parties, and college drunks, but I guess that's easier to do with age.
    If it was not illegal, I'd carry anyway...your life is worth more that a few extra credits having to be earned through a college transfer.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have you considered carrying pepper spray or some other nonlethal protection? Comes in handy sometimes.

Stay safe.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Our environment is what we make of it. A natural environment is something we cannot change....only adapt to. Any time you and your environment are not compatible dictates change....mainly on your part since the environment is less easily adaptable to you. You, being a college student might understand. Don't over-think things. Answers to questions don't always mean a test is in session. Most times, the simple answer is already there without reading the question. Multiple choice questions can throw you off, and waste your time. True, or false questions I like no matter how the question is portrayed. Simple answers. I think the answer to your question is simple. The difficult part lies in your acceptance of a simple answer IMO.

I can sympathize with you, OP. I'm a musician and Audio engineer, and therefore I am usually working in bars, clubs and churches, all of which are off-limits to carry in my state. When it's your livelihood to be in these places, It's not as simple as some comments suggest, to just "avoid those places". Keep your SA up, be careful, and keep drinking to the minimum. De-escalate ANY situation you get into. If you're on stage at a frat party, you're usually going to get the rock star treatment anyway, so you're probably less likely to get into a scuffle. Carry where you can. I've carried concealed while performing on stage several times and nobody knew.

You can always choose not to drink. If you're working, probably shouldn't anyway. Depending on your State, if you are WORKING in a bar you may be able to carry with the permission of the owner or owner's representative (manager) of the establishment. handgunlaw.us.org is a good place to look for this information. The OP makes disposable income in a cover band. He can choose to do this or do something else for "disposable income" which is different than your livelihood. Life is a series of choices and consequences.

I'm a financial executive and I can't carry where I work. All things considered, that's a choice I have made and am prepared to accept the consequences.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    I can sympathize with you, OP. I'm a musician and Audio engineer, and therefore I am usually working in bars, clubs and churches, all of which are off-limits to carry in my state. When it's your livelihood to be in these places, It's not as simple as some comments suggest, to just "avoid those places". Keep your SA up, be careful, and keep drinking to the minimum. De-escalate ANY situation you get into. If you're on stage at a frat party, you're usually going to get the rock star treatment anyway, so you're probably less likely to get into a scuffle. Carry where you can. I've carried concealed while performing on stage several times and nobody knew.
    That hit the mark.
    The OP said right off that he wasn't the one drinking, rather, he is working in drinking environments. And if you've ever been in a college town, drinking environments are pretty hard to avoid... working in them or not. It's gotta be tough carrying when you are constantly faced with idiots and the whole town has become a danger zone. Some people just can't pack up and leave, but yes, he environment surely isn't going to change to suit you. Tough situation.

Thanks guys, you've all offered really useful outlooks and opinions and I sincerely appreciate that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links