Oh Boy........how do you instantly react when your asleep ? - Page 2

Oh Boy........how do you instantly react when your asleep ?

This is a discussion on Oh Boy........how do you instantly react when your asleep ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 Other than a canine 'early warning' system, I do not see how I could awake suddenly and be ready for instant ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Other than a canine 'early warning' system, I do not see how I could awake suddenly and be ready for instant action...my body just doesn't work that way.

I feel this way too SOMETIMES, but every now and then, I wake up and I'm extremely awake, and attentive.

Maybe it has something to do with stress, the amt. of sleep received in recent nights??

IDK???

I guess thats part of life.

You pay your dues, you takes your chances.
    Come what may.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I certainly wake differently depending on what wakes me.
    Affirmative on that. When I had a "bump in the night" earlier this year, I was pretty much instantly awake and grabbing light and weapon. Normally, I'm a heavy sleeper, so I think that adrenaline surge can really get you moving faster than you'd expect.

You won't know, of course, until it happens to you.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I wake up differently, depending on the reason. I think it's my old military training and experiences drilled into me. I'll sleep through car alarms, but awake immediately in code red if the door knob rattles. When my kids were growing up, they knew to yell out that they were home the minute they opened the door. Now if a helicopter flies over close...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I was sound asleep... my apartment was broken into. Door kicked in, wood flew all over the living room. I only awoke when he shined a flashlight in my face. It was the local police responding to an emergency, only wrong apartment. Yes, they replaced the door.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Ehhh, its easy. I do it for a living.... Except I'm not clearing houses. 24 hours shifts are a blessing in disguise. If the day truly comes around, your "Fight or Flight" response will kick in and help you out dramatically. There's nothing like waking up from a dead sleep and having your heart rate go from 50 to 110. Mmmmm +Chronotropy and +Inotropy.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

I sleep lightly and usually no more than two hours at a time without waking up, due to things that I won't go into. Any time I wake, for whatever reason, I am ready to go.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    Ehhh, its easy. I do it for a living.... Except I'm not clearing houses. 24 hours shifts are a blessing in disguise. If the day truly comes around, your "Fight or Flight" response will kick in and help you out dramatically. There's nothing like waking up from a dead sleep and having your heart rate go from 50 to 110. Mmmmm +Chronotropy and +Inotropy.
    Amen brother! It's truly amazing how quickly we can go from sleep to driving 80 MPH.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I certainly wake differently depending on what wakes me. I think we all have wake differently when we perceive that an actual threat has awoken us.
    I agree.

I wake differently if something "bad" wakes me up than if something normal wakes me up. Even before my conscious brain is functioning my "gut instinct" is still taking in information.

I've woken up at night due to the neighbor's dog "barking for too long" and I couldn't really tell you how long he was barking, I just knew when I woke up that it was "not normal barking, he has been barking too long" - I'm sure my subconscious had been paying attention even before I woke up. I woke up very alert, and soon discovered (through the window) two guys with flashlights in the alleyway behind my property - and called the police from my bed.
    Dogs bark all the time, almost all of my neighbors have one, so I can usually use the severity and length of the barking to determine whether or not there is really a "threat" -- apparently even when I'm asleep. If the dogs bark for too long, it's because whatever is out there hasn't gone away, and at 4:30am, that is a bad sign.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    dog goes off, adrenaline flows, your instantly awake, I know, it happened to me, luckily it was a false alarm, but it showed me how quick I could be up and mobile. Now getting back to sleep afterwards on the other hand........................not so fun
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you glockman. Too many people talk about protecting stuff and some could die doing so--was it really worth it? Even if it is not locked up and is in the other rooms, if it is good stuff it is insured up the kazoo. As far as I am concerned all the good stuff is in my locked bedroom and, as you said, I'll wait for them to try and get it; and, as far as I am concerned, I will make sure they get it all right.

I'm still young enough where I can go from Sleep to getting dressed and ready in 3 seconds flat.....I think that may have come from a boot camp I attended one summer in high school. waking up to yelling or music....getting those shoes and PTs on and being ready ASAP
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I'm still young enough where I can go from Sleep to getting dressed and ready in 3 seconds flat.....I think that may have come from a boot camp I attended one summer in high school. waking up to yelling or music....getting those shoes and PTs on and being ready ASAP
    If I hear a sound that does not belong in the middle of the night, I am not worried about getting dressed. Besides, naked provides an element of surprise for a potential BG.
    Me naked, in an Israeli point-shoot stance… If the BG survives, he is going to need therapy to get that image out of his head.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Anyone that has ever heard their Drill Instructor yelling as soon as the lights flip on knows what I mean. And it continues after boot camp.
    Even these many years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledzep01 View Post
    I certainly wake differently depending on what wakes me. I think we all have wake differently when we perceive that an actual threat has awoken us.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Im not gonna worry about it too much. My vehicles are insured, so Ill worry about that stuff in the morning. I will stay in bed, and not clear my house. Why get up to shoot someone when I can do it from the comfort of my own bed? .
    Or from concealment behind the bed w/ my wife out of the line of fire in the attached bathroom. Of course, when we had kids living at home, there was a different safe-room drill.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    If I hear a sound that does not belong in the middle of the night, I am not worried about getting dressed. Besides, naked provides an element of surprise for a potential BG.
    Me naked, in an Israeli point-shoot stance… If the BG survives, he is going to need therapy to get that image out of his head.
    I'm considering using a shoulder holster when I get a dedicated HD pistol, that way I dont have to put anything on to hold the pistol while I go out with the shotty
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I am actually surprised by my ability to immediately wake up and respond in a self defense manner. A few months ago, the wife and I were sound asleep in bed. I heard a loud rustling of the blinds covering my sliding glass door and thought someone had gained entry into our house (turns out the wife didn't fully close the door and the wind had blown the shades open). I was able to grab my pistol, and make it to the hallway in about 1.5 seconds. It happened so fast I forgot my glasses and had to come back to retrieve them. I cleared the house and determine there wasn't a threat present. Thing is though, I couldn't get back to sleep. Haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links