Oh Boy........how do you instantly react when your asleep ? - Page 3

Oh Boy........how do you instantly react when your asleep ?

This is a discussion on Oh Boy........how do you instantly react when your asleep ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL Anyone that has ever heard their Drill Instructor yelling as soon as the lights flip on knows what I mean. Mine ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh Boy........how do you instantly react when your asleep ?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Anyone that has ever heard their Drill Instructor yelling as soon as the lights flip on knows what I mean.
    Mine always liked to sneak up on my room (filled with knuckleheads) and do this to us.

I have been awoken in the middle of the night before when the phone line wen tout and the alarm system went off, several times actually. What I have found helps me is to roll out of bed towards my safe, tap out the code as best I can and just stay kneeling there for a short while. This puts the bed between me the the bedroom door. The Wife rolls my direction also, which is also where the phone is (when the line is working) and my mobile phones.

Once I can see straight and feel I am awake I'll make my way to the door to clear the house and check on the kids. Also my kids have been taught when the alarm goes off to just lay there and listen for my or my Wife's voice. They know the drill of going out the windows to a neighbors house if told to do so, otherwise they lay there so I know where they are. We have drills for the fire alarms as well, since they sound different than the burglar alarm.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/...,1507636.story

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) -- Police said a Boulder man who told police he woke up to a "bang" and realized he suffered a gunshot wound to his knee likely shot himself while sleepwalking. The Daily Camera reported that 63-year-old Sanford Rothman told investigators he had no clear recollection of the incident early Tuesday morning. No one else was in Rothman's home at the time.

Boulder police Sgt. Paul Reichenback said that Rothman keeps a 9 mm handgun near his bed and takes presciption medication for pain. Police said no alcohol or illegal drugs played a role in the incident.

Rothman was treated at a hospital and released.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Now that I am older, I wake up frequently for those bathroom visits, but my old level of response is long gone. My wife tells me that my snoring would terrify anyone breaking into our house, comparing it to the roar of a bear crossed with train whistle. In my younger days during a non-married period of my life, I lived in a small apartment in a not great area of town. I woke up one morning at 4:20 am; I had just rolled out of my bed, had my 1911 in my hand aimed at the door, and clicked the safety off. Finger was indexed down the side of the gun, but this had never happened to me before. I cautiously checked outside my window, and there was no one in the parking lot. I went to my back window (with my Wincester 12 guage this time) and checked the alley; nothing. I had very little sleep the rest of the night, because I knew something had happened when I was asleep that alarmed me, but I didn't know what.

The next morning I went to work, and when my first co-worker walked in his first words were "Did you feel that earthquake last night? Shook the H... out of my house!" I asked him when it happened. You guessed it, 4:20 am. It apparently rattled my front door loudly and I responded; thank God I didn't kill an earthquake.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    lmao^ I bet you were "shaking" from that expirience
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Eh, live on a boat for a while. I heard water dripping one night, and tracked it down to a below-waterline leak, at the other end of the boat. That sort of thing keeps you alert.

Unrelated: Late one night I heard "The (political party) are intelligent and well educated and have everyone's best interests..." at which point I sat straight up with a "***????" and lost the rest. Someone was using the way water transmits sound to try to influence people sleeping in the harbor. Spooked the daylights out of me at the time. I'd have slept through it, had I not been on the boat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links