revisit--shooting a child in self-defense

This is a discussion on revisit--shooting a child in self-defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back, we had a thread here about the potential threat that children can be. When I see a lone child, my "threat radar" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: revisit--shooting a child in self-defense

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

A while back, we had a thread here about the potential threat that children can be. When I see a lone child, my "threat radar" is usually not tuned in to that scenario as a threat. But, I read this just now from Fox news
    A sadistic drug-gang hitman is wanted for carrying out a series of horrific killings in Mexico -- and he's only 12 years old.

The boy -- known only as El Ponchis, or The Cloak -- is suspected to be the paid executioner for a cartel locked in a war for control of the lucrative cocaine trade. He is believed to have tortured and slaughtered dozens of gangland enemies.

The boy's trademark murders involve slitting the throats of victims with a deep cutting technique known as Degollar, which leaves the head hanging by a thread, and grisly videos circulating on the Internet show victims having their throats slashed.

Another clip shows him battering a man with a club bearing the initials SPC, short for South Pacific Drug Cartel.

The youthful killer, whose name is not known, was picked for his psychopathic brutality and child-like devotion to gang bosses. He works with a group of women called the Chavelas, believed by some to be his sisters.

"We understand El Ponchis works under the command of Julio Jesus Radilla, a drugs head in the State of Morelos," a Mexican army spokesman said. "El Ponchis, who is active in the town of Jiutepec, was identified during an investigation as the paid executioner of Radilla's enemies."

The SPC is allied with another cartel called The Zetas to fight for control of cocaine supply routes.
    any where, anytime, and ANYBODY
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Yep.When i see a child playing in the park,no worries.When i see a child trying to bash my head in with a club,its no different than someone twice his age.This world is sick.

The widespread expectation of lack of consequences and lack of punishment for bad behavior and crimes is nearing a tipping point. It's called anarchy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Let me toss two scenarios in here.

First, walking through a parking lot at night with your family in tow. A child of around 8 to 10 jumps out at you with an orange cap gun pointed at you and yells HEY!

Now play it with an airsoft Glock that so many parents have no problem buying for their kids.

The second one is my nightmare scenario.

VIP Member
    I would not hesitate if a threat is present with a lethal means and intent. Example: L.A. is full of young gang members that are not much older than that. If I can't readily and quickly determine its a toy, then it's a real gun.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I believe that his vernacular will quickly tell you not only his life position, but also his intent.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Yeah, I use to think the same thing. This is just a quick and dirty scan when I typed 'officer shot by toy gun'. Predisposition takes up valuable time.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sho...icles/1283535/

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/28/ny...a-toy-gun.html
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I hope that El Ponchis is not caught over in this country because all he may get at 12 years old is a few months in Juvie.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A threat is a threat. It doesn't matter who or what is attacking you, only that they are stopped.

Similar instances are common the united states in the form of gang violence where gang youth are often pressured to commit violent crimes in order to gain acceptance by their gang commrades.

Not much different then hear. Its usually the young gang members that are the most violent. They need to prove themselves and are used as the gunslingers for older members.

Talking Best Weapon is your BRAIN

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The widespread expectation of lack of consequences and lack of punishment for bad behavior and crimes is nearing a tipping point. It's called anarchy.

I agree with your post. I also like your tag line referenced in my title. By far, our very BEST weapons are our brains. Although I will take my gun as a backup. lol

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat5249 View Post
    I agree with your post. I also like your tag line referenced in my title. By far, our very BEST weapons are our brains. Although I will take my gun as a backup. lol
    I would hate to use my brains to think "I should have brought my gun"

El Ponchis was caught a couple of months ago... he's 14 (maybe a little older) now. He may have been forced to do what he did under threats to his family...

That said, I gotta agree with Gloves... You should be able to tell by the demeanor and talk of the kid whether he's a real threat... As long as we're not an occupying force in his country (remembering VN, and even Iraq).
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I believe that his vernacular will quickly tell you not only his life position, but also his intent.
    As Politically Incorrect as it is true.

Funny how that can work sometimes.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

This may sound harsh, but if you do big boy crimes, you should do big boy time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links