Suspicious Street Person: possibly armed.... - Page 2

Suspicious Street Person: possibly armed....

This is a discussion on Suspicious Street Person: possibly armed.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So "John" thinks that he has the ability to bark commands at other citizens, and that those people are enjoined to obey his imperatives? He ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspicious Street Person: possibly armed....

So "John" thinks that he has the ability to bark commands at other citizens, and that those people are enjoined to obey his imperatives?

He is in dire need of some reality-based education. And he could use some combative skill. When someone gets too close and into your personal space, there are all kinds of ways to perform an adjustment of choreography. From a tactical perspective, the closer a person gets, the more danger they are in because you can bring your unarmed skills into play.

So. We have Mr Scruffy here, who has ignored "hey, you - that's close enough!" and he keeps coming. Does he have a knife? A piece of pipe? Keep your eyes on his eyes and let your peripheral vision take care of watching his hands. Blade your strong side away and get ready to draw. If he keeps coming, then use the weak hand to shove him away, or simply raise your palm in front of his face. The latter move is a takedown if done with good timing.

John needs to get his mind right - people should fear getting too close to him. He should have no qualms about others entering his area of maximum lethality and in fact he should relish the opportunity of getting threats into his workspace where he can be effective.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If I were walking along the sidewalk, wearing my coat and having my hands in my pocket because they're cold, and some dude coming the other way told me to stop and get away while reaching for a gun, I'd take my my hands out of my pocket and dial 911 and have him arrested. I never said a word to him and he reached for a gun! Hell yes, I stopped; I was afraid the crazy fool was gonna shoot! I thought he was goinna steal my MP3 I had in my pocket. People like that shouldn't have guns or be allowed to walk the streets! Just because they have a gun doesn't mean they're in charge of the world.

Playing the Devil's Advocate and giving the other side of the scene. It works both ways.

The solution is avoidance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    So "John" thinks that he has the ability to bark commands at other citizens, and that those people are enjoined to obey his imperatives?

He is in dire need of some reality-based education. And he could use some combative skill. When someone gets too close and into your personal space, there are all kinds of ways to perform an adjustment of choreography. From a tactical perspective, the closer a person gets, the more danger they are in because you can bring your unarmed skills into play.

So. We have Mr Scruffy here, who has ignored "hey, you - that's close enough!" and he keeps coming. Does he have a knife? A piece of pipe? Keep your eyes on his eyes and let your peripheral vision take care of watching his hands. Blade your strong side away and get ready to draw. If he keeps coming, then use the weak hand to shove him away, or simply raise your palm in front of his face. The latter move is a takedown if done with good timing.

John needs to get his mind right - people should fear getting too close to him. He should have no qualms about others entering his area of maximum lethality and in fact he should relish the opportunity of getting threats into his workspace where he can be effective.
    Well said.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

Nice post Shockwave, and I commend it with just a minor caveat. 1) As far as I am concerned anyone who carries a handgun owes it to themselves to either carry additional non lethal devices such as OC or to learn H2H combat skills or both. There are just too many situations where the handgun is the least reasonable option.

2) The minor caveat is that while even folks with age and health issues can learn some H2H, most hand-gunners don't bother. The lessons can be time consuming and expensive. Progress can be slow. It takes time and effort to get to the understanding that you can adjust the choreography and that something as simple as use of the weak hand to shove him away, moving at 45 degrees, or raising your palm in front of his face can be very effective and buy time for deploying OC or a draw. There have been a few excellent discussions and presentations of technique posted here in other threads.

Just because we carry guns does not guarantee we are going to survive anything.

Being law abiding citizens, we have to abide by the law or face imprisonment. As law abiding citizens, we MUST let them make the first move in order for us to be on a legal footing for justifiable self defense. Self defense means exactly that... defense. The aggressor must make the first move in order for us to confirm that a lethal force situation does exist.

So, by the very nature of how the laws are written, we are automatically operating from behind the curve. We start out from behind the eight ball. This is why it is incumbent on us to be as highly skilled, highly trained, and well studied in the law and tactics as physically and financially possible in order to survive.

You pull your gun on an innocent vagrant and you just committed assault with a deadly weapon, a felony, if the prosecutor wants to make an example of you. That's a hell of a price to pay for a momentary error in judgment. You actually pull the trigger on an innocent person... well it just gets worse from there. You hesitate at the wrong moment, you can die.

These are the stakes... If you're not prepared for that, or can't accept the stakes, don't carry a gun. Rely on some other method of defense instead.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Great answers to this thread. I believe that everyone agrees that situational awareness and avoidance is No.1 on the list and everyone agrees that your idea of what a slime or perp looks like does not equate to you being able to do anything. Moving away from someone and having them continue to follow you would be your best guess that something is wrong with this picture. Yelling loudly to leave us alone and informing someone that you are not interested in a confrontation may help and it also will, hopefully, alert potential witnesses. When you have gone as far as you can go to avoid and are still in a problem situation you now have to consider the "big leap" in self defense---has to be a tough call and I surely hope none of us have to face it. Be safe fellow forum members and God Bless.

How dare he walk near someone on a public street!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links