Another idiot teen taunts my neighbors dogs...what happened, and a scenario

This is a discussion on Another idiot teen taunts my neighbors dogs...what happened, and a scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, last week, while talking with my wife on my phone (I am home alone, armed with my G30 and one extra mag). I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another idiot teen taunts my neighbors dogs...what happened, and a scenario

Another idiot teen taunts my neighbors dogs...what happened, and a scenario

Okay, last week, while talking with my wife on my phone (I am home alone, armed with my G30 and one extra mag). I am standing up looking out my window, and as I talk with her a group of teen 3 teen boys (16 ish) and 4 girls (14-16) are walking down the street, and their direction will lead them in front of my house. I have my one little dog Parker outside, and Juneau, my other dog is inside with me. Parker starts barking at them.

The ringleader, wearing his pants around his hips, with his coat tied around his waist points his fingers at Parker like he's shooting her. He gets a rise out of his friends. I'm ignoring it, kids will be kids, but then it changes. As he walks past my house, my best friends house is directly across the street from me, with his fence line about 3 feet from the edge of the road. His two dogs, Rocky and Buddy (a fat Beagal and a young black lab respectively) start barking at the kids. The ringleader then runs over to the fence and kicks it twice, yelling at the dogs and stepping "at" them with his fists like he is going to beat them, and then takes of his shoe and actually throws it at the fence. At this point I tell my wife I'll call her back.

My neighbor is closer to me than my brother. His dogs and my dogs play together all the time...blah blah, in other words, we are family. So I go outside and yell, "Leave the dogs alone!" The ringleader said, "what?" (which turns out to be the only word I understand him saying during this interaction. I again yelled, "Leave the dogs alone!" The ringleader continues to walk past the house, and is yelling something. I can't understand him so I say, "What was that, I can't understand what you are saying." At this point my neighbor has stepped out of his house into his doorway, and one of the girls says, "Ooooh. Tough guy. Ooooh. *&#* Off!, #@(%*$ off!" And they continued down the street.

Now to the end of the story. Shorty after my wife came home, and we left together to go get my daughter from school. As we left, a police officer was parked down the street. I see the group of teen two houses down an adjacent street...the same house I had issues at just about a week ago when a white kid was taunting my dog as we walked. So I stopped and told the officer what had happened. He told me that is why he was sitting there watching them, there had been a number of complaints.

Okay, here's the scenario part.

I go outside and tell them to stop. Ringleader gets mouthy and starts to approach and walks on my property, continuing to advance...what do YOU do? (No weapon visible, 5'10, good shape, 16ish with 2 more on the street with a 4 teen girls on the street as well)
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

Since the cops have obviously had numerous complaints on the issue......keep calling them. Once they get tired of responding, they'll make contact with someone and attempt to correct the situation. Granted...this might be for a limited time only, but specifically ask that a patrol be done through your neighborhood. I dislike tasking the resources of our public officials, but if this means keeping the peace, then that's what your tax dollars are going for. Never feel you're becoming a nuisance yourself. You're just trying to keep things from getting out of hand and even the local police should thank you for your time in doing so.
    Most places, calls and responses are recorded by the local authorities. A week later, most of the reports will be available through a FOIA (freedom of information act) and you can actually request the paperwork of those reports from the local authorities. This way, you'll have a paper trail of what's happened, and a formal record of the incidents. I call it reverse red tape. Finally something that will work for you that many seldom think of or know about. You'll need something to back you up if things get ugly, and sooner or later, the neighborhood hooligans will start building a record of their own in the community.
    You'll also want records of these instances filed with local authorities in case any of the offenders gets bitten by your dog. Taunting is illegal here, but seldom enforced. Just like taking down week old garage sale signs. I know your plight. Been there. Wishing you the best on the ordeal. Us folks out here in the country try to take care of things amongst ourselves. This past week and incidents has caused us to call on the local sheriff. We'll see what comes of that short of me shooting some horses in the ass. I love all animals.....I'd rather shoot the owner for being a dipshit and letting them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    I go outside and tell them to stop. Ringleader gets mouthy and starts to approach and walks on my property, continuing to advance...what do YOU do? (No weapon visible, 5'10, good shape, 16ish with 2 more on the street with a 4 teen girls on the street as well)
    Shut and lock my door, arm myself, call the police and make sure nothing gets through that door.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Now to the end of the story. Shorty after my wife came home, and we left together to go get my daughter from school. As we left, a police officer was parked down the street. I see the group of teen two houses down an adjacent street...the same house I had issues at just about a week ago when a white kid was taunting my dog as we walked. So I stopped and told the officer what had happened. He told me that is why he was sitting there watching them, there had been a number of complaints.

Did we have to include race? Had someone written this story and said the same about an african american, it would be a riot around here (just occured on another forum, same type of comment).

I will put my flame suit on now, but due to the pain killers I am on (which is why I refuse to leave my home today) I more than likely wont feel the flames.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

There are alternatives to firearms, like OC spray. Have that in your hand while your handgun is a backup. I'm sure 16 year olds want to prove their machismo by being pepper sprayed. Watch them cry in front of their girlfriends. And consider setting up some decent video surveillance of both your own and your friend's yards.

I'm not going inside my home and lock the door...I'll sit on my porch. I deal with these kinds of kids all day long...every day. Depending upon my location at the time, I may already know them.
    My wife was getting some slack from a 'local' one time, and a few days later were were driving and she said, "That's the kid I was talking about." We stopped, I got out and the kid became humble...apologized...and I sent him packing with his tail between his legs.
    I certainly do not need a firearm in my neighborhood nor in the area around our school.
    Now if were visiting some place where I was not already known...my lip is zipped, and I call 911.

Here's Mr. Friendly and his pup, yes...she's still a pup.
    CIMG0223.jpg
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Been there done that. Fortunately for me, my encounters occurred in my hood back when I was of physical stature to actually intimidate. If it happened today, I’d be more like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. No really, I'd likely just call deputy dog and keep the OC handy.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Same as always. It's a situation I've not provoked or instigated. The police will continue to be called, each and every time the idiots continue to act in anti-social ways. But if the idiot's mental deficiencies progress to the point of being foolish enough to threaten violence against me and to actually back it up with walking toward me on my property, then I'm going to refuse the attentions. If that refusal requires force to terminate, even significant force, then so be it. I'm older, slower, disabled. The idea that the criminal happens to have only a score of years under his belt is irrelevant. Let him learn.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Give them plenty warning and if they don't comply, give them a face full of the good stuff.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

"Okay, here's the scenario part.

I go outside and tell them to stop. Ringleader gets mouthy and starts to approach and walks on my property, continuing to advance...what do YOU do? (No weapon visible, 5'10, good shape, 16ish with 2 more on the street with a 4 teen girls on the street as well)"

Probably tell him to get the *expletive* off my property and then report the incident right there. And I would keep my eye on him from inside the house. Discreetly. I would try to give the impression that this punk doesn't warrant my attention, to convey what a punk he is, even though I would would be watching him out a side window. But that's me.

I would walk down my driveway to "get the mail" and let them know that I was watching them. I would not react to what they say, I would just stare down the leader.
    If he steps on the property I would tell him to get off my property. If he did not comply I would dial 911. Yes I would be armed but they would not know.
    In my 47 years I have never met a 16yr old that I could not stare down regardless of size and demeanor.

There is no reason to give any ground to them while you are on your property.

Sled

VIP Member
    I think the pepper spray idea is a good one. Too bad I never remember to go out and get some.

Since I don't have any OC spray I'd tell the kid to "get the bleep out of here and don't come back" and since I'm a big guy people usually respond to my "command" voice. Unless the kid plays O-line for the local HS team I probably outweigh him by 75 lbs or so. The only scary part would be if he produced a weapon or if all the kids get involved, then and only then would I get worried (and be forced to show/draw my weapon).
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

This is real simple. If one of the punks walks on my property, I simply BEAT the manners into him. I'll give him the ass whooping his pansy father who couldnt be there for him never gave him.
    I'll be damned if I let some teenage punk run roughshot over me. Nothing major, just slap em around a lil bit to show his friends how stupid he really his...

If he produced a weapon I'd take it from him and commence to break his jaw.

When it gets to a point where it is no longer talking and he is within distance of assaulting you,pull that Glock out and tell it like it is.They act out like that again,making threats and all,and they get shot.

A friend of mine in the city had the same problem. He took a pellet gun down in the basement, and would snipe their ass cheeks and legs when they would start throwing rocks and stuff at his dog. It only took two occassions and then they walked a different route altogether to avoid his house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links