Walmart Parking Lot DANGER

This is a discussion on Walmart Parking Lot DANGER within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by carryon If I was alone I would draw my weapon and create distance while NEVER TURNING MY BACK to the man with ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Walmart Parking Lot DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by carryon View Post
    If I was alone I would draw my weapon and create distance while NEVER TURNING MY BACK to the man with a knife. If I was holding my 13 month old son I would have drawn and emptied the gun into center mass.
    While I wouldn't turn my back either, it is possible he has accomplices, in a car/on foot behind you. If you are between cars, you could lean up against the car on your left (or your right, if you're left handed) and keep the weapon on BG 1 while scanning for others to (what was) your back.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    In a similar situation I have used a technique that I don't recall seeing discussed here before. If the BG is close enough (reach out distance can be your friend) punch or shove the snot out of him while backing and drawing. This creates distance and reverse momentum on the BG's part with a 'stun' as a plus. I'm not a 'run away' kind of guy since I have an arthritic ankle and frequently am accompanied by small children.
    I agree, this could work.. my concern would be my momentum towards the threat. You are more in control as long as the threat has to move toward you.
    I think, most likely, if showing your weapon doesn't cause him to bolt... then he is very stupid... or he has backup that you are not seeing.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Yall are looking at this all wrong.Now maybe you just know you can outrun someone,but thats not the case for some of us.Im not too big,but im much better at fighting than running.

Now heres the thing.He had the knife IN HIS BELT,NOT IN HIS HAND.It would have been easy as heck to knock that idiot off his feet.Why be scared of a weapon that would take 2 seconds to get to? The 'shabby dude' made a bad move by not taking the knife out in the first place.

What if you decide to try and knock the guy on his ass and fail, he pulls his knife and proceeds to cut your throat! Not everyone is Bruce Lee.
    One more step and it's on!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I think Biker made good sense.

My personal thought is the BG was too close to me. I can't run anymore; BUT, I can still fight! So if the bg decided to use his knife, I going to get seriously hurt; or worse!

I see two choices in this scenario for me:
    1. De-escalate and give him my wallet
    (In which case my "SAFETY" is still NOT certain.)

2. FIGHT!

"IF" I go hth I may have a chance knock him on his a$$; limiting his ability to use his knife. If he's close enough, I may even be able to grab the handle of his knife and "GUT" the SOB as I take it away from him. (I know my abilities.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this case, it sounds like the bg was close enough to do some REAL harm; or even kill before he could be stopped. (In the "CC" world there is NO such thing as a "magic" bullet that will always drop a bg in his tracks and STOP an attack.)

If the FIGHT option is chosen, going hth at some level will be needed; even if it's just to give one more time to get to a PCW. (The LAST thing anyone needs to do in this scenario is get into a "race" to see who can use his weapon FIRST!)

I am glad everything turned out well for your bil. But, if the bg had been more determined, there would have a different outcome.

I believe retreating is the best option if at all possible. For me, this is very feasible as I'm young, athletic, and pretty darn quick too.

If I don't have a clear escape route and/or he has the knife in his hand I'll fain compliance and draw down on him hopefully holding him for police. If he makes any move towards me I'm unloading into his chest until he stops advancing.

If I don't have a clear escape route but his weapon is still IWB, I'm not sure whether I'd draw to gain control and create distance or if I'd attack him with feet and fists. It would depend on his size and state(intoxicated, high, etc.). No, I do not think I'm chuck Lidell but if I'm fairly confident that I can take the BG, I know that I can react with fists and feet faster than he can draw his knife and of course there's a chance he'll cut himself while trying to draw the knife which works in my favor.

Your BIL needs to be more realistic about what happens in the legal system, IMHO.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    ...push the panic button on the key fob, as I've got to have had that out to get the bags in the car
    I don't consider this to be a defensive option, for two reasons:

a. Who hears a car alarm and thinks, "oh noes! Someone is in trouble!"? No, these days, everyone just thinks "shut that dang thing off!".
    b. This falls into the same group as house alarms and calling 911. You need help NOW, not when someone eventually gets there. With an armed BG in your face, your life is in your hands.

It all comes down to our instinctual response, fight or flight. Or both. Get off the "X", and fight if you have to. But run if you can.

For me, if the attacker is determined, it will be fight every time. I have multiple sports-related joint injuries. Unless the BG is severely disabled, running is not going to be an effective option. My wife can run - in fact, she'd better be at first sign of trouble - she can go get help. But I'm big, and I'm armed (lethal and less-lethal). You'd better believe I'm not going down without a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Yall are looking at this all wrong ... He had the knife IN HIS BELT,NOT IN HIS HAND.It would have been easy as heck to knock that idiot off his feet.Why be scared of a weapon that would take 2 seconds to get to?
    No more "wrong" than any other perspective.

I have known many people fairly capable in fighting with blades. Drawing a blade from concealment simply doesn't take but a moment, for someone who knows what he's doing. Two seconds to present the weapon? Uh, no. For that specific felon, though? Who's to say.

As for having it "wrong," not everyone finds it so easy to knock a person "off his feet." Depends on basic abilities, strength. Keep in mind the felon is likely prepared, has almost certainly gone through this situation before. Who's to say. Similar to not everyone being able to "run."

The "best" option for a given potential victim depends on the specific circumstances, of course. Not everyone is fit (or uninjured) enough to run far enough to avoid being knifed. Not everyone is capable enough to disarm someone. It's unknown whether the felon has any decent strength, skills with the knife, skills to avoid being disarmed. Not everyone is going to be armed on a given day, or at that spot (ie, stopping for a bag of groceries on the way home from work, where one is disallowed to carry arms). The "best" choice of alternatives is likely to be different for each person.

For myself, my injuries preclude running anywhere. What H2H skills training I have was learned decades ago, though the handful of times I've been forced to defend myself I was fortunate enough to succeed, mostly due to utter ruthlessness and severity of my response (as opposed to any whiz-bang application of the skills per se). I'm not lightning fast on drawing a firearm, particularly if someone is within a couple feet of mean and capable of garbling my draw. Which pretty much leaves the false wallet option, the attempt to gain some distance, potential drawing once time and space allows. For some, this will be the likely "best" option. YMMV, which isn't "looking at this all wrong." It's just YMMV, depending on specifics.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lots of things to consider here.
    I always carry a decoy wallet.

When going to Wally World or grocery store I always try to find two spaces across from each other, so I can pull thru and my exit is a straight out drive with no backup.

I also try to park next to the buggy corral(drivers side) so no -one can pull up close and prevent access to drivers door.

Also, if more than one bag, use a buggy, keeps hands much more free and you can use the buggy to keep the bad guy at a distance.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    ... I always try to find two spaces across from each other, so I can pull thru and my exit is a straight out drive with no backup.
    That little trick can help save time once reaching the car, absolutely.

I also try to park next to the buggy corral(drivers side) so no -one can pull up close and prevent access to drivers door.
    Another good tip, which I do whenever available, as well. Minor steps that take little additional time and ultimately become second-nature.

I also approach the car from across an aisle. I generally walk down the aisle on the opposite side, then cross at 90 degrees. That provides a decent view of the car while approaching it, as well as when closing in on the door. In a heavily-crowded lot, it helps with seeing around the car.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post

Also, if more than one bag, use a buggy, keeps hands much more free and you can use the buggy to keep the bad guy at a distance.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here.

I'm pretty sure you're not referring to a horse-drawn buggy, or a dune buggy, so what exactly are you referring to?

Move off axis to create distance, Sweep, draw, extend, align, press, press, press, scan for additional threats....call 911, preserve the scene
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by renegade01 View Post
    I'd have drew on him and one upped him by saying "how about I put two rounds into your torso?" if he made one step in my direction I'd have let em have it. I have no sympathy for a knife wielding loser who thinks my labor is his.
    Wise words from that great sage Tuco.....

"When you have to shoot; shoot don't talk".

While you're doing your best Ah-nold/Bruce whitisisum he just might be putting a knife in your chest: ordinal loop and all that.

I have 2 arthritic knees on the verge of being replaced and 25% loss of use of my right arm to an injury...Fake compliance, draw, bang bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying here.

I'm pretty sure you're not referring to a horse-drawn buggy, or a dune buggy, so what exactly are you referring to?
    A shopping cart; buggy is a southern thing.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

If I am alone draw and move....if accompanied draw cover my friends and family and stand my ground...if the bg approaches he is ventilated for perfect air flow.

well... I know what I would do.

The last 2 times someone reached into a pocket of some type to pull a knife out to rob me (saying give me your money or else) , I had my hand instantly on my gun.... and told them nothing better come out of that pocket , even their hand, and if it did.... I would drop them where they stood. I told them to back away slowly... leave ... and consider it a good day. I can always give Police a description, where they went, etc.
    One thing that interested me, they both ... looked me straight in the eyes as if to assess whether I really meant it and would really do it or not..... they decided correctly.

They cussed a lot, called me a lot of names, and cautiously backed up and left ... with their hand still in their pocket.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

One thing that interested me, they both ... looked me straight in the eyes as if to assess whether I really meant it and would really do it or not..... they decided correctly.
    Predators can smell another predator. They can also smell a victim. In between those two extremes we have those that are neither victim nor predator, but will be as mean and nasty as the predator when they need to be.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; November 16th, 2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links