Walmart Parking Lot DANGER - Page 4

Walmart Parking Lot DANGER

This is a discussion on Walmart Parking Lot DANGER within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Uh where's the "Be a good witness" guy?...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Walmart Parking Lot DANGER

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Uh where's the "Be a good witness" guy?

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Uh where's the "Be a good witness" guy?
    Dude...you're the victim...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Dude...you're the victim...
    Priceless
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Predators can smell another predator. They can also smell a victim. In between those two extremes we have those that are neither victim nor predator, but will be as mean and nasty as the predator when they need to be.

Biker
    It's all up to you.
    Last edited by Bubbiesdad; November 16th, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I don't consider this to be a defensive option, for two reasons:

a. Who hears a car alarm and thinks, "oh noes! Someone is in trouble!"? No, these days, everyone just thinks "shut that dang thing off!".
    b. This falls into the same group as house alarms and calling 911. You need help NOW, not when someone eventually gets there. With an armed BG in your face, your life is in your hands.

It all comes down to our instinctual response, fight or flight. Or both. Get off the "X", and fight if you have to. But run if you can.

For me, if the attacker is determined, it will be fight every time. I have multiple sports-related joint injuries. Unless the BG is severely disabled, running is not going to be an effective option. My wife can run - in fact, she'd better be at first sign of trouble - she can go get help. But I'm big, and I'm armed (lethal and less-lethal). You'd better believe I'm not going down without a fight.
    i have to agree with everything you said. Bunker

If he had the opportunity to escape safely (which he did) that was the right course of action gun or not.
    Is turning your back on an armed criminal who is within striking distance safe? Was it the right course of action in that case merely because the bad guy was lazy or otherwise not inclined to take further action?

Michael

My NRA instructor taught me this, I 'm in a wheelchair, I would have backed up and started talking loud(get away, I don't want problems) to draw attention of other people so if I had to shoot his AZZ people can say I warned him. He said to always cary a couple of singles in your pocket, throw them on the ground, back up with one hand covering your head area and blocking his line of sight. When he goes for the $$-Bam/Bam/Bam

As I have said befor, It is hard to argue with success, that does not necessarily mean it is repeatable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    This happened to my brother in law in the local Walmart parking lot a few days ago. He had been shopping, was leaving the store shopping bags in hand. (this was late afternoon not dark yet) When he got to his car, a "shabby looking guy" walked up to him and ask him for a light. My brother in law said "sorry I don't smoke" at which time the bad guy pulled up his shirt and showed him a large knife stuffed in his waistband, and said "how about your wallet then" My brother n law doesn't have his concealed weapon yet so he wasn't carrying. He stated he just took off running, back towards the store called 911, and informed Walmart management. He gave police all the information and that was that. But what worries me is the comment he made to me later on when he was telling me what happened. He stated that if he had of had his gun he would have shot the bad guy. My comment to him was he did the right thing gun or not. If he had a chance to retreat without having to shoot someone, that for sure is the best thing to do. He doesn't agree with me, and said he would have been justified, that may or may not be true but different states have different laws. Not to mention it's not worth possibly taking a life if it could be avoided. What do you guys/gals think?
    You're right and he's wrong. It's as simple as that. State laws vary as far as "stand your ground" and "means of escape" matters go, but the simple fact is that it would be better to do what he did, even when armed.

Ask him:

"Do you want to be hounded by a 15-20 year drawn-out legal battle when you could have just ran away?"

"Do you want nightmares for the rest of your life when you could have just ran away?"

"Do you want to have to actively avoid the friends and/or family of this guy for the rest of your life when you could have just ran away?"

If Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, or Sylvester Stallone want to shoot the bad guy while making a "macho" remark that cracks up everyone in the theater, then more power to them. But here in the real world, that situation is best avoided.

Now if he had someone with him to protect, it becomes a different scenario. But when alone, he should try to evade if possible.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Don't ask him anything...

If you are gonna run, run.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot.

You might warn him, but don't ask him anything, and immediately follow up with action. Fact is, all you may have to do is show you are willing to resist, and have the means (a gun) to back up your willingness.
    Caveat: If just seeing the gun doesn't change his mind, use the gun, right now... no hesitation.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Not saying this would have been the right thing to do - he probably did the best thing since unarmed - but - I'd liked to have read "The BG didn't have his hand on the knife yet so I kicked him in his man Berries and left him on his knees crying in pain."
    You just made me laugh pretty hard. That is the best post in this thread.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I don't know for certain what I would do.

Option 1: "Go for" my wallet, that motion would be interrupted unholstering the weapon at my hip.
    He hasn't drawn his weapon, he is expecting compliance, he gets an eyeful of muzzle. Command him to the ground, arms out, call 911. I wouldn't have shot him unless he made further aggressive moves toward me.
    What sucks about this is that in many states and jurisdictions, this will get you arrested. Shooting the guy is a well-defined right in most states, now. Granted, that the knife was not in his hand is an issue, but all things told, you probably are not charged 95 times out of 100. Demanding compliance at the point of a gun, OTOH, is likely to get you arrested, which is a shame, since my thought process on pulling my gun is:

1) Feel in danger;
    2) Pull gun;
    3) Aim;
    4) Pull trigger until danger ends or I run out of ammo.

If the danger ends at number 3, I don't see why I should be arrested; unfortunately, many PAs see it differently.

Anyway, regardless of the legalities, I am likely to have ventilated the guy.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    What sucks about this is that in many states and jurisdictions, this will get you arrested. Shooting the guy is a well-defined right in most states, now. Granted, that the knife was not in his hand is an issue, but all things told, you probably are not charged 95 times out of 100. Demanding compliance at the point of a gun, OTOH, is likely to get you arrested, which is a shame, since my thought process on pulling my gun is:

1) Feel in danger;
    2) Pull gun;
    3) Aim;
    4) Pull trigger until danger ends or I run out of ammo.

If the danger ends at number 3, I don't see why I should be arrested; unfortunately, many PAs see it differently.

Anyway, regardless of the legalities, I am likely to have ventilated the guy.
    I agree, to a point. How do you know the danger ends at #3?

He's as likely to run between #2 and #3 in my scenario as well as yours. If he stays, I might as well hold him, as you stated odds are 95% in my favor. if it goes to trial (the 5% chance in your scnenario or mine)... What if the jury could be convinced that he was just carrying the knife becuse he was afraid of the bullies at school... You just killed a scared kid on his way home from school cutting thru the wally world parking lot. He never got the knife out... unless you alter the "evidence".

Most of the time in a "I've shown you mine, now you show me yours" scene, if his scissors don't beat your rock, he's gone... if you give him paper instead, he wins, AND he can still use the scissors.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Knowing how fast someone can draw a knife and close distance makes me more likely to draw one of my weapons while attempting to create distance and giving loud verbal commands. For those of you that have not studied the Tueller Drill, or run it, I suggest you do so. It can be very eye opening.

I would do this even with the local liberal politics we have because I see this as necessary to ensure Rule Number 1 for myself.

RULE NUMBER 1: I'm going home alive!

Biker

I walk with a cane and cannot run,Iwill gladly give him $10.00 in bullets
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links