When someone invades your "bubble"

This is a discussion on When someone invades your "bubble" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lot of us talk about the 21 foot bubble. "Don't let anyone inside it", etc. Truth is, we live in a busy, crowded society. ...

Thread: When someone invades your "bubble"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

When someone invades your "bubble"

A lot of us talk about the 21 foot bubble. "Don't let anyone inside it", etc. Truth is, we live in a busy, crowded society. We walk in and out of stores, down sidewalks and hallways, and often times have no choice but to let someone in our bubble. I assume all of us let people inside this bubble all the time, but what do you do when an individual enters your bubble in an area where it wouldn't be necessary to? Someone may walk toward you in a parking lot, at the gas pump, the ATM, or any other number of situations. Does your response change based on their appearance or do you treat each situation the same? Do you say nothing unless you feel threatened?

I've been guilty of letting people in my bubble in open areas where it wasn't needed, and have never said anything. I do always keep a good eye on them, and make it known that I'm watching them. I will reposition myself to give me an escape route or room to take action if need be.

I know some people say something, but I just can't see myself telling everyone I come in contact with that they are close enough and shouldn't come any nearer.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

It's not possible to keep everyone at a 21' distance, but it's more the circumstance that's important. People all around me in the mall, in not a problem like a dirtbag walking towards me in a parking lot who is still 50' away, but approaching.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's not keeping people out of the "bubble" area as much as it is to be aware of them and their movements and actions while their in the "bubble".

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I do always keep a good eye on them, and make it known that I'm watching them. I will reposition myself to give me an escape route or room to take action if need be.

+1 to this.

Move the "bubble".
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Even in combat zones it is hard to keep everyone as far away from you as you want. But you need to be aware of them, and assess potential threats. If you identify a threat, that becomes your focus, if you do not identify a threat, you need to keep mental track of the people in your area, while at the same time doing whatever tasks you are doing.

I'm sure you have gotten the classes about "baselines" and whatnot, go off that training, its actually a pretty good package.

You can't keep everyone out of a 21' bubble in modern society, heck, a 3' bubble can be hard to maintain in some situations, you just need to be able to adjust.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In public, I don't have "rights" to any space except that which I happen to be occupying, and only because the laws of physics won't allow otherwise. Everyone else has the same right to be there as you and I do. If someone is making me uncomfortable, it is up to me to move, not them.

I find it disturbing that so many will (or claim they will) command anyone to "back away" from a place they may very well have the perfect "right" to be. No one customer owns the gas pump, no one pedestrian owns the sidewalk, and no one is telling me to "back away" because they feel I'm too close to their paranoid minds. They have a social problem, not me, and they don't want to add me to their problems. No! You back away until I'm done with whatever gives me the right to be here to.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I rarely don’t have someone within 21 feet of me. Some of it is also cultural to who you are dealing with. if I am abroad or know a person well I conform as best I can to what the cultures norms are.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In public, I don't have "rights" to any space except that which I happen to be occupying, and only because the laws of physics won't allow otherwise. Everyone else has the same right to be there as you and I do. If someone is making me uncomfortable, it is up to me to move, not them.

I find it disturbing that so many will (or claim they will) command anyone to "back away" from a place they may very well have the perfect "right" to be. No one customer owns the gas pump, no one pedestrian owns the sidewalk, and no one is telling me to "back away" because they feel I'm too close to their paranoid minds. They have a social problem, not me, and they don't want to add me to their problems. No! You back away until I'm done with whatever gives me the right to be here to.
    I agree.It is good to be aware,but a paranoid mind-set is not much of a life.If a person views every other human,every dog,etc., as a potential threat,that ,to me,is a sad way to live.

It's one of the best reasons I prefer pocket carry. Put a hand in your pocket, get a good grip on your pistol and without anyone suspecting anything other than a guy walking with his hand in a pocket.

If nothing happens like 99.9999999% of the time, no harm no foul, no one but you is the wiser that you could be ready to draw in a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    It's not keeping people out of the "bubble" area as much as it is to be aware of them and their movements and actions while their in the "bubble".
    True, many excellent replies to this post, sort of difficult to pick the best for my intentions, but I find this true for myself most often. Yes, almost anywhere you go the 21' ideal is out. In the open such as at gas or service stations, and especially at night, I tend to get into a different mode of operation. Everything is suspicious then....not just humans in the area, but vehicles as well. If I'm out of my vehicle at any time, I feel I've lost a bit of what I had for protection. I do get the occasional 'violator of space' while standing in line somewhere. Once I can hear them breathing, or I can feel a sort of warmth that normally wouldn't be there at the time, I move away first just for a test. If they move with me, I'm starting to turn as I move away one last time (and careful not to infringe on others space while doing so), then the last time, I turn and give them the stare. If they act like they are avoiding my stare, I'll say something at this point. Done it plenty of times. Some actually take offense, others slightly apologize and back off. I've been hit in the heels with shopping carts, I've turned around after putting my grocery bags in the cart and turn around for the total and to swipe my debit card and there's somebody standing in front of the card machine (happened yesterday matter of fact). All in all, we live in what's becoming less and less of a polite society. Most folks aren't aware or care about your space, or sucking in your carbon dioxide. I notice everyone's actions and demeanor when I am able to have a good view. Getting stuck in a checkout line at the store is position I'd rather not be in, but I've also been 'boxed' in at a customer counter with little traffic like the customer service or the post office once in a while. You know....where you can't go forward upon completing your transaction, you need to turn and walk away in one direction or the other. Depends on my day. If my option A direction is blocked, I may or may not take option B route. If I feel it's warranted, I'll head in the direction I want to go and they'll either get out of the way, or I'll end up saying something. People just don't think or care these days. Not too long ago, things were different. Thing is, when you bring something like this to their attention, they either take it in stride and realize what has happened and why....or they take offense. I'm one that couldn't care less about how they react, and quite frankly, I've had more women pull this blocking move on me than any men, and the women are usually the ones to take offense if it comes to me saying something.
    All in all, it's more of a dog-eat-dog world out there now. One I'm sure most of us (brought up with good mannerisms and respectful for our fellow persons), don't like to see. If I had my way, I'd never go anywhere but work, home, to visit friends, for a scenic drive, or hunting/fishing. I want to think that Star Trek technology was available, an we could order anything we wanted and have it transported directly to home instantly. Just swipe the card and all is good. We're not even half way there in my opinion because of transit times and shipping costs. I can always wish though. I know this might have been a little take of from the OP's intentions, but I really do despise getting out anywhere and dealing with idgets, or the possibilities, and the space violation ordeal. Some days I simply feel lucky that my remaining days are shorter than some who experience the same things and feel the same way I do about them, and I carry every day in order to make sure those days are extended and look forward to a natural death hopefully at home.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I want them in my "bubble." Once they're close enough for me to get my hands on them, there's a lot of stuff I can do a whole lot faster than they can deploy a weapon. Closer is better.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

When my bubble is invaded, I take out my firearm and shoot every round I have on me, then blow the smoke coming out of the barrel, swirl the gun around on my finger two or three times, then look around and see who else feels like invading my bubble?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Links