Long Distance Mugging

Long Distance Mugging

This is a discussion on Long Distance Mugging within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I heard this story today from an older gentleman at our office today. He's about 75 and is missing half of one arm. We were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Mugging

Long Distance Mugging

I heard this story today from an older gentleman at our office today. He's about 75 and is missing half of one arm. We were talking about his job when he raised his hat to show me a scar on his forehead.

He said that two years ago, he was in the Belmont area of Nashville, which is basically a really nice college that is surrounded by the ghetto. It was 7:00 at night and he and a friend had just finished doing some work at a house. He and the friend were standing under a street light outside the residence, next to his work truck.

He looked down the sidewalk and saw two black men coming towards them. He turned to his friend and said "uh oh, we're in trouble". The men were moving quickly towards them and one of them yelled "Yo! Give us your wallets". They were about 30 yards away when they started demanding cash! He said he yelled back at them that they should get a job and to "not do this". He commented that he had a pistol in his truck but couldn't get to it in time because the two men were closing on them so fast.

The old man's friend pulled out his wallet and handed it to the muggers. The old man, however, did not. Instead, he reached into his front pocket and pulled out his car keys and hit the panic button on his remote (he re-enacted this for me by pulling out his keys and thrusting them towards me).
    When the alarm went off, one of the muggers pistol-whipped him across the forehead and they ran off.

The homeowner that they did the work for heard the commotion and called the police who were there in 2 minutes (2 minutes too late, if you ask me).

He said that at least they didn't get his wallet.

I wanted to share this story because of several unique elements that I'd personally never heard of before:
    1. A mugging starting at 30 yards away.
    2. The Victim telling the muggers to get a job.
    3. The Victim telling the muggers to get a job instead of reaching into his truck to grab his pistol.
    4. Someone actually using the panic button on a key fob.
    5. The victim got pistol-whipped and still kept his wallet.
    Last edited by dtox; November 16th, 2010 at 08:01 PM.

I wonder if the older gentleman has finally bought a holster so he can CC his gun now?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Everything about his actions/reaction to this mugging makes me

Another fine example of why your pistol belongs on your person at all times.

Perfect example for carrying, and the adage the. 380 in your pocket is better than the .45 in your truck.

Same thing happened to my brother, same area, except 5 of them and they took his and his buddy's wallet, cell phone, and my brothers 2 week old car at gun point, 8pm on a Friday.

When I read the title, I thought it was going to be a story about taxes.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

"Get a job".........Bang, Bang......"Never mind".
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

All I got is $20.00...in bullets here you can have em
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dtox View Post
    The old man, however, did not. Instead, he reached into his front pocket and pulled out his car keys and hit the panic button on his remote ... The homeowner that they did the work for heard the commotion and called the police who were there in 2 minutes (2 minutes too late, if you ask me).
    No matter how quickly police care called, they're almost certainly going to arrive after the crime has occurred. I'll bet that extra 10 seconds it would have taken to reach the gun in the truck is about the most valuable 10 seconds that guy has ever known. In reality, that "long distance" is an opportunity to save one's life.

He commented that he had a pistol in his truck but couldn't get to it in time because the two men were closing on them so fast.
    Yup. Can't use what you don't have with you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

30 yards away... Tueller drill extended X 3 ... he had time to get into the truck and get the gun. The panic button is a good idea, I've suggested it before... but the gun is either immediately before or after the panic button... probably before... with 30 yards, it seems they could have both gotten into the truck... But I'm sure the incongruity of the situation and the development of events, sort of caught them off guard.

my co-worker got stabbed kicked and left for dead... but kept his wallet... criminals are stupid... robberies, like rape, are at least a little bit about control, superiority, dominance... not necessarily all about the money...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

3D
    Don't know reasons for the gun in the truck - but it sounds like he had time to retrieve it - and should have. That ol' OODA loop thingy I guess.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

A take off on the old adage, "A gun in the hand is worth two in the truck."
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    To quote every one else, yet another reason to carry on your person. I wish all crimes started at a distance like that. It would give you so much more time to react and keep them away from you. This is why I also carry on my person at home. A gun in the hand is worth 10 in the closet/under the bed/in the next room.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    When I read the title, I thought it was going to be a story about taxes.
    Yep...me too
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks it makes a difference, but the old man was pistol whipped. That's pistol as in they were armed and had guns drawn. I agree they had some time to move but the BG's could close that in a couple seconds. Based on what happened to the other guy, handing over his wallet might have saved the pain (or not).

It's hard to say but two BG's with guns drawn 30 yards away and closing fast sounds challenging at best. If he had his gun, drew it and a gunfight followed with him or his friend getting killed he would be wishing he had given up his wallet. If he or his friend had been shot after giving them up he wish he'd drawn. In his favor he did see and recognize the BG's before they shouted so he may have drawn at ready then and waited. If when they announced and threatened with their guns he had shot and kept shooting the BG's, if able, may have gone away. Who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links