Thugs in Taco Bell... (Long one)

This is a discussion on Thugs in Taco Bell... (Long one) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saturday night my girlfriend and I were grabbing a quick bite at Taco Bell before going to her parents place for a sit down talk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thugs in Taco Bell... (Long one)

Thugs in Taco Bell... (Long one)

Saturday night my girlfriend and I were grabbing a quick bite at Taco Bell before going to her parents place for a sit down talk with them. The restaurant was in her town which I'm not terribly familiar with. After eating we both went off to our respective restrooms.

Here's the setup. When exiting the restroom one walks down about a 20-foot hallway, at the end of which there is an exit immediately to your left. If you turn 90* right, the registers are on your right and another exit on the opposite side of the store. If you keep walking you run into a dining table awkwardly placed on this side of the chest high wall separating the ordering area from the dining area, not really sure why it was on this side.

As I enter the bathroom hallway I notice two young men, probably high school age eating at that table. I think nothing of them. When I exit the bathroom and walk down the hall I see a young black male, three young black males and who I took to be a couple girlfriends standing around the two white males previously mentioned. I then become privy to their quiet, yet heated conversation. Note that I'm parked right outside the door they're near.

"Man, I heard you pulled a gun on my homie. Shouldn't be doing that **** man."

At this point I want your opinions for what you would have done in this situation.

I paused for a moment and looked for my girlfriend who I determined to still be in the restroom, then skirted the wall to get to my table which was to the right around the dividing wall. Cleaned off the table while watching out of the corner of my eye and listening. Refilled my drink and stood waiting for her to come out. Their conversation continued though I only heard bits and pieces because they were being very quiet.

They dispersed a bit but stayed around that door. I kept an eye out because I didn't want anything happening to her when she came out. I heard the door open and moved around to meet her with the drinks, which she said she didn't want anymore. Tossed hers, grabbed her hand and quietly told her we'd be using the other door. She knows and is happy I carry, and will be getting her license soon enough. She apparently realized something was going on and followed without a word.

I never had reason to believe there was immediate danger, the conversation never got loud and no one looked particularly agitated though you could tell it was a fairly intense conversation. Once outside we walked around the front of the building and I unlocked and opened the door to the Jeep for her while I kept an eye on the group who had apparently moved outside while we were going around. As we pull out I see what appears to me to be a couple drug deals going down. Maybe I was just paranoid but there were several thug looking teenagers hanging around two cars, some sitting in the cars, some leaning in the windows of those cars. Given their previous discussion it wasn't a stretch for me to imagine it.

In hindsight I probably should have called the cops upon leaving given my suspicions, but I had a lot on my mind, and not just from the situation. Comments, critiques?

EDIT: I suppose I should mention I was carrying my M&P .40c IWB at 4:30 with a spare mag in a zipper pocket behind the regular front left pocket.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    MYOB and get out of Dodge. Makes good sense. The comment about pulling a gun could have been nothing but talk and bravado or even a bad joke. I doubt those guys would be hanging together if it were true.

Cops almost certainly already know who these guys are and that there is potential trouble at that Taco Bell.

You stayed out of it, got out safely, now you know that you probably should have left a bit earlier when you first saw them.

VIP Member
    This is just me, but I'd chalk that up as a part of town that I won't venture into after dark, and be done with it.

We have sections of town like that which are growing like a cancer these days. The locals know where the DMZ is, and so do the cops. I suspect that the bottom line is that given a limited budget and work force, our local police have to choose between doing a poor job of keeping everywhere safe, or a good job of keeping a smaller, more select area safe. Tough nuts if the cancer creeps into your neighborhood.

I'm not saying that this is right or good, but it's the world that I live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You stayed out of it, got out safely, now you know that you probably should have left a bit earlier when you first saw them.
    When I first saw the two guys it was just them when I went into the bathroom and I had no real reason to see them as suspicious. They were all there when i got out. Leaving earlier wasn't an option as I had to wait for my girlfriend. Believe me, when she got out I moved around to meet her and bugged out.

As for their conversation being big talk, I couldn't tell you their intentions or thoughts. All I can tell you is that they were dressed like your typical thug, were speaking low and terse and there were no smiles. I very much got the impression of the latter group confronting the two guys sitting down.

And Whec, I certainly won't be patronizing that particular restaurant again except in broad daylight.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Back when i was in highschool the taco bells around town were the hangout spots for the 3 respective highschool's there were constantly fight drugs and drinks there.

It was a well known fact and often to the observent eye you would see the PD sitting just across the street or on the other side of the shopping center waiting on someone to do any of those 3 things.

I never made that my hangout but knew many who did and the majority had a nice list of things to tell mommy and daddy about when the cop brings them home.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ever since i was a kid fast food restaurants have been hangouts for kids whether they were up to no good or not...it even relates back to burger joints in the 50s and 60s....it shouldnt come as a surprise that that kind of activity is still taking place...

as it turns out it was a non-event...you took precautions you thought were necessary and left...i liked the idea of cleaning the table and refilling drinks to buy time waiting for your girl...as for what thugs dress like i still get a kick out of appearances directing our thoughts...there are plenty of prep kids getting into serious trouble today and drugs are a big part of it...

i cant imagine doing anything different and the police werent going to be any help as there was no law being broken or threat to you....and it wasnt necessary to describe what you were carrying to us...it really doesnt matter....

You did good OP, kept tabs on situation without causing a scene and got the girlfriend and GTFO.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

You're right, it didn't matter. Just another scary black gun that didn't kill someone. Shocker, amirite?
    My blog

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    MYOB and get out of Dodge is good advice! Too many unknown quantities including what's in the buritto's. It's healthier to eat at a place that has a salad bar.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    MYOB and get out of Dodge is good advice! Too many unknown quantities including what's in the buritto's. It's healthier to eat at a place that has a salad bar.
    Couldn't agree more with the first part. I like burritos, even Taco Bell's.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

[QUOTE=paaiyan;1807220 I heard the door open and moved around to meet her with the drinks, which she said she didn't want anymore. .[/QUOTE]

Nice SA
    Make sure you keep an eye on their behavior without staring at them.
    How did you carry your drinks? One in each hand?
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I was also wondering that.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

My first inclination while reading the OP was "get out"....until I got to the part where the OPs GF was still in the restroom.

My reaction...I'll bet your GF has a cell phone....I would text a very brief msg..something along the lines of "3x BGs in dining rm...go out exit by you (or stay where you are)"...depending on the situation. I wouldn't leave her in the restroom not knowing what was going on.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

When this stuff happens,its best to just ignore it.Usually they wont get into a shootout in a public place like that.It will be settled in a more isolated place.That really wasnt a basis for calling police either.

As for how I was holding the drinks, one in each hand. I was going to hand hers to her but she told me she didn't want it. If I needed to grab my gun I'd have probably thrown the drinks.

As for my girlfriend in the restroom, she's not glued to her phone and usually has it on silent, she wouldn't have checked it. I can see the logic though. Once I decided something was up I was in a position to watch movement down the hallway and kept tabs on everyone. I wasn't going to let anyone sneak up on her. Only one person went down the hall while I waited. A larger, upper 20's brunette woman who wasn't involved and she came out shortly after due to the door being locked. I only describe her so you understand that once I wasn't happy with the situation I got very aware of everything. I didn't think it would go downhill, but I wasn't about to relax.
    My blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links