Defensive Carry banner

Church shooting scenario

4K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  mkh 
#1 ·
You and your wife/SO are seated in church on Sunday morning. The main auditorium is rather large with a stage in the front and rows of pews. It is the main worship service and the auditorium is full of teens and adults.

Sunday School/Kids church classrooms are in the same building but through a set of double doors and down a hall in a separate room. The hallway is a horseshoe shape that goes around the main auditorium with rooms branching off from it. Exits are at the back of the auditorium and one on each side, however since the hall's shape you have cross the hall to go out the exit doors.

The service is interupted by the sound of two gunshots and a female screaming from the area of the kids classrooms.

Going by your particular state law, are you legal to carry in church and so on, how would you react? Are you carrying anyway despite the law? Do you have kids in Sunday School? How or would your reaction be different whether or not you had kids in the Sunday School?
You know that at least one other person in church is a CCW holder but is he carrying? If your church has security do they have an active shooter plan? Are armed members of the church part of that plan?

The purpose of this is to make you formulate a plan or run through the plan you may already have as to your actions. If you are not legal in your state to carry in church is it in your vehicle and so on.
If you do not have kids or a wife or SO what would you do? Please no responses of I don't go to church etc.

See less See more
#36 ·
No one knows I'm carrying there- it doesn't take permission, but they could post it if they decided they didn't want it. There was talk of starting a security team, but it was not going to be an armed one. Without some indication they would positively react to organizing concealed carriers, I'm not volunteering my status.

#38 ·
Here is my suggestion- ask the Lord for help and wisdom. Children are in danger in their Sunday school classrooms? What would Jesus expect you to do? Help them. Now, here is where the Christian commitment comes into it. I am not an expert in gun fights or tactics. I am sure we will be unprepared. I am sure folks will panic. I am even more sure that Christ expects me- and others- to TRY to do something, to the best of our limited skills. But we will ask for His help, and with that hope proceed. I probably would keep my gun in hand in my coat pocket, so as not to present a frightening image, or get shot by somebody else. I have no idea what will come of this. But proceed we must. "No greater love than this.."
Remember WHY we are in church in the first place.
God Bless

#39 ·
Our church is a large church about 7000 members. Because of our size we plan for all emergencies from medical emergencies, lost or missing children(locking down the building) to active shooter situtations we are obviously near a metro area including the chief of police as a church member. About two years ago several carry permit holders, active and retired LEO folks got together and looked at an active shooter situation at our church. First thing we did was modify access to our preschool (first floor)and childrens areas(second floor) all access is now through one set of doors. We then looked at what would be needed to stop a threat. We then determined it would take 2 three man teams to properly clear our church. We would stage two additional people at the Childrens and preschool area doors to secure that area basically active shooter has to get past them. The other questions we addressed were how would we communicate such a event so team members knew what is happening and identification so we are not shoot via arriving police. Our solution for this was each Sunday, team members check in and are either pick or assigned a job clearing or defensive stance. We also pickup a walkie talkie, master key to building so no door is locked while clearing the building for them to hide and a ID badge identifying us as part of the church security team. Its not perfect and we realize it but at least it's a plan and we dont have folks running around not knowing whom the good and bad guys are.

#40 ·
I know of a few other churches in town that have their own member security teams. None of the churches (mine included) are Islamic. One of the churches has a pastor that is very outspoken against Islam and started their team because they found a note threatening the pastor left on the pulpit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.