Have you heard this commercial? Good reason for your spouse to be armed as well!

This is a discussion on Have you heard this commercial? Good reason for your spouse to be armed as well! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This commercial is playing on XM radio ALL the time. Its a commercial for an alarm monitoring company. The scenario----- The guy is talking to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you heard this commercial? Good reason for your spouse to be armed as well!

Have you heard this commercial? Good reason for your spouse to be armed as well!

This commercial is playing on XM radio ALL the time. Its a commercial for an alarm monitoring company.
    The scenario-----
    The guy is talking to his wife on the phone. He's away on a business trip and calling to say goodnight. "Can I say hi to the kids?", "no they are in bed asleep already."
    Suddenly you hear glass breaking in the background, "OMG, somebody's breaking in!!!" He says "Call 911", she says "But they are already in the house!!".
    Heavy footsteps in the background.
    "Oh No. They're coming up the stairs! I have to get the kids!".
    Fades to announcer... Buy our alarm package and this wont happen to you.

I say...
    Selling a false sense of security!?
    When seconds count, the police are just minutes away. Or in this case your alarm company.
    If she had a weapon and was trained to use it this would be a very different commercial. Maybe one for Cabelas or your local gun store.
    This commercial makes me want to scream at my radio every time I hear it.
    What do you think.
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

2. Remove Ads

Dont have sat radio,but i know exactly what you mean.An alarm wont stop someone from taking 30 seconds to knock your wife or kid out and kidnap them.

"A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Having worked in a facility covered by a national alarm company, and having direct experience with their systems and personnel, I'm not likely to be purchasing any alarm system from a vendor.

Are they selling false security? Not really... any level above leaving the doors unlocked at night is increasing the security of your home and family.
    Is it enough? Prolly not.

Security can be taken to many levels, from many viewpoints.

If your "stuff" is important to you, a security system is a good idea. But just in case the BGs want more than stuff, you better have a safe room, something nobody can get into once you are inside, unless you let them in.

If your life and the life of your loved ones is primary, and you are of a non-violent bent, spend the money you would spend on guns making a safe room or several (one for each of your family members).

If you like your stuff, and you love your family, you defend both the best way you see fit. Self defense (and by extension, defense of family and stuff) with a weapon is a personal responsibility. You are saying, "It all rests on my shoulders, I am the caretaker of this family." If you have a wife of a similar belief, then it's WE instead of I.

There are those here that believe in layered defense, they may have MA training, the may also carry a knife, OC spray, and a gun (or 2 or 3), all for personal defense or defense of loved ones within the immediate vicinity. But you can't be with them all the time. So what are the layers when you're not there?

Kids in school, going to and from on the bus, wife at the hairdresser... whatever... You can't all always move around as a family unit. And, you ain't POTUS, so you can't have highly trained, armed, connected, bodyguards for any and all of your family members at all times.

Bottom line: You can take protection to any level you want... but it won't make you invincible.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Northface View Post

Thats great!
    Peace of mind thru superior firepower.
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northface View Post
    A very unexpected end
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Yeah, I've heard the commercial. It should be re-done so when the glass breaks she says "I'm calling the police, I'll call you back" calls police reports break-in and then "BANG BANG" hangs up with police and then calls her husband back "honey we're gonna need new carpet and some spackle"
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I tried to explain this false sense of security to my mom after her husband got done telling me about their new high-dollar alarm system. They live in the middle of nowhere, NC and they believe that "If that alarm goes off, there'll be 4 officers here with shotguns in seconds!" I obviously laughed while trying to remain respectful. After explaining why this would not be the case, my mom began asking me about buying & carrying a gun since she knows I carry. Although I know she'll never buy a gun, I got her at least thinking and maybe she'll be a little more conscious of her responsibility of her own safety rather than relying on an alarm company and police to react.

I laugh every time I see these security commercials. The company always seems to call within 3 seconds of an alarm...yeah, right.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    "honey we're gonna need new carpet and some spackle"
    Yep. Call the cops and the cleaners afterwards!
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    any of those brinks alarm or ADT blah blah blah.... I'm like yeah sure the bad guy can kill you and your family take what he wants and be gone by the time the alarm company calls the police... so lame. "A gun in the hand is worth 10 cops on the phone."
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Dont have sat radio,but i know exactly what you mean.An alarm wont stop someone from taking 30 seconds to knock your wife or kid out and kidnap them.
    It also won't call the security company when you're already talking on the line with your husband, so the alarm would have helped how exactly?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The best things about alarm companies is that:

1. Audible alarms should deter most BGs IF there are neighbors within earshot.
    2. The LEOS will probably come eventually, precluding an all night party a la Pettit-Connecticut.
    3. If you're not in an interior room and distracted you will know when you get breached if you have the proper set up.

The most important accessory for your alarm is superior firepower!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I wonder what the Disclaimers are when you sign up for these alarm services. I could picture it now:

"We are not liable for any damages or bodily injury that may occur if there are any delays in getting you help."
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    It also won't call the security company when you're already talking on the line with your husband, so the alarm would have helped how exactly?
    It will if it's installed correctly, but it'll hang up the call to/from the husband. it's called "line seizure", where the phone line from outside is run to the alarm panel first and then to the rest of the phones. When your alarm goes off, it hangs up all the phones.

That being said, I've got an alarm system, and it's fine for when we're gone, but the best thing about it when we're here is the siren and the smoke detector, not the fact that it calls somebody on the other coast.
    Last edited by dogzilla; November 19th, 2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links