Retaliation

This is a discussion on Retaliation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading the thread on XDTalk about the guy in Oklahoma whose home was invaded by two 15 year olds, both shot, one killed ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retaliation

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Retaliation

I was reading the thread on XDTalk about the guy in Oklahoma whose home was invaded by two 15 year olds, both shot, one killed by his wife. Because of this, they have been receiving death threats from gang members. On top of that, their weapon was confiscated, most likely for several years. Thank God they had several more firearms so they don't have to go unarmed. They had to move, and will be moving again.

Gang retaliation is a very real issue. My wife witnessed a group of teens breaking into cars in our apartment complex, called the cops, and gave positive ID. All 3 were put in jail. My wife asked to have her name withheld, because she feared retaliation. All 3 saw her when she called the police. The police said they couldn't withhold her name but at least if the gang members retaliated they would know where to start. We kept tabs on it because we found out the police released her name to the criminals...something about they have the right to know who witnesses against them. As soon as they got out of jail, they vandalized my truck. I called the police, and showed them the damage, and the fresh hand/footprints all over the hood of the truck. They simply filed the report and refused to take prints. We knew a few people who had gotten out of the gang life (apartments are full of shady characters), and they told us who exactly the teens were, where they lived, and what gang they were in.

I really don't think there's anything you can do about retaliation, but it makes me so mad. People shouldn't have to fear for their safety when reporting or stopping a crime.

I know the media has their rights, and so do the criminals, but why is it public who witnesses a crime, and why does the media publish pictures, addresses, and names of people who defend themselves. Do we have the right to remain anonymous in a defensive situation except to obvious essential personnel such as the police and the court if it gets there?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

There are a few different ways you can deal with them....it all depends on how far you're willing to go to protect you and yours....
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One of the basic rights of the accused in this country is the right to know the accusers. It's a double-edged sword that, while designed to protect the innocent from false witnesses, also reveals the names to those who have retaliation in mind.

This country is definitely headed in the wrong direction, and all the proponents of "civil liberties" need to experience the end results of their actions. It's a sad day when witnesses brave enough to step forward end up being victims because of doing so--and that is exactly what the gangs are hoping to instill.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    The only thing I have to add is the whole "refusing to take prints" thing. The general public is under a huge misunderstanding about finger prints, how they work and how they can be used for prosecution. In a case like this, it most likely would be a useless waste of time to print your truck.

I love it when people who got there L.E. education from T.V. insist something be done that makes no difference or doesnt even exist. Got to love pop culture.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This may get me in trouble for saying this over the internet,but i have had dealings with gangs before.I get threats seems like every week.Sometimes it is just talk,but these people have a very real problem.Are you aware of the name of the gang?

By the way,my cousin,who is former Air Force,had a man running from the police try to break his door down.That man ended up being disarmed.My cousins name was never released,but even though he did not file charges,what is the difference in being that he was a witness?

Glad to hear these people are moving.But i would go to the police chief and file a complaint against whoever did the paperwork on the truck vandalism.They should have taken prints.

Prints on the truck would be of no value. All it proves is someone touched the truck, which is parked in public places and leaves too much of a burden of proof to prosecute. I don't know of any prosecuter who would touch that one.

3D
    hmmmmm . . . regarding post #2 . . . is 'Retaliation' a two-way street where you live too?
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Prints on the truck would be of no value. All it proves is someone touched the truck, which is parked in public places and leaves too much of a burden of proof to prosecute. I don't know of any prosecuter who would touch that one.
    If the prints were from the 3 that broke in,it would be of value.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The only thing I have to add is the whole "refusing to take prints" thing. The general public is under a huge misunderstanding about finger prints, how they work and how they can be used for prosecution. In a case like this, it most likely would be a useless waste of time to print your truck.

I love it when people who got there L.E. education from T.V. insist something be done that makes no difference or doesnt even exist. Got to love pop culture.
    You're right. When it all went down, I was just furious because I knew exactly who did it (and did some investigating of my own) and there was no legal way to prove it.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCollins View Post
    There are a few different ways you can deal with them....it all depends on how far you're willing to go to protect you and yours....
    Starting a private war against a gang is not a good way to protect your family.
    -Ryan

Until we can rise up and retaliate against gangs with no legal or social repercussions, using their own methods against them, as well as suspending the Constitution against identified and known gang members, we as a society are doomed.

Everyday I see us sliding closer and closer to the edge of civilization.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Starting a private war against a gang is not a good way to protect your family.
    Agreed. If it wasn't an apartment complex I'd suggest putting up surveillance on the building, but that may not be an option. Can you see your vehicles from a window in your apartment? Maybe you could get one high-quality camera and set it up to record.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Gang members retaliate against rival gang members on a daily basis. I'm not suggesting to emulate them in any way, I'm just stating the obvious.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Back in the 70's. In the way back machine, I attended a k-8 school. I left the school and went on to highschool. The neighbor kids were in 5th and 6th grades. One day, they were going to school with black armbands... I asked what was going on.

"Two kids, a brother and sister in 3rd and 4th grade, were on the playground together during recess. They heard the local gang members (7th and 8th graders at the school) planning to rob a little grocery store near the school. They told their teacher. Teacher told the cops.

Both kids were beaten to death in their home... one parent was also dead, the other in critical condition, all beaten with baseball bats, in their home, by 7th and 8th grade ( and possibly some of their mentors from "higher grades") gang members."

Chicago, in the '70s... I did not confirm the story then, but I did see the funeral procession at the school that day...

Today's gangs are better armed, trained, and more ruthless in many ways than they were "back then" in the good ol' days.

Gangs. They're even now in smaller towns, in rural areas within about 5 hours of large metro areas.

I wouldn't go so far as Biker's statement... after all, over time, we did eliminate much of the MOB (in thier illegal activities, anyway) in Chi town without suspending the constitution. Now they're all "respectable politicians." Far more dangerous than the MOB.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

It is horrible that it can lead to retaliation, but anyone accused of a crime, gang member or not deserves the right to know their accused. Noone will have freedom if people are allowed to accuse others of actions without making it public that they are the ones doing the accusing and will stand behind their accusation.

It is one of our most fundamental civil liberties and responsiblities and it should not change. The day you can accuse without going public is the day we turn into a tyranny. Remember, with liberty comes costs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links