Rash of Bank Robberies

Rash of Bank Robberies

This is a discussion on Rash of Bank Robberies within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently in Everett, WA (very close to where I live) a bank robber has robbed over 6 banks within the last two months. Yesterday he ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rash of Bank Robberies

Rash of Bank Robberies

Recently in Everett, WA (very close to where I live) a bank robber has robbed over 6 banks within the last two months. Yesterday he robbed one and 15 minutes later robbed another 1.5 miles away. In both situations he was armed and pointed the gun at numerous people in the bank, he threated to fire but has not yet done so. I was at another bank only a few miles away when this last one occured so it got me to thinking.

I'll try to eliminate as many variables as possible to get the best responses from you guys.

As you are about to walk in the bank (armed of course) you look around to see anything out of the normal, car idling close to the door, someone looking suspicious in close proximity etc..nothing.
    I assume most of us do this as walking into a bank armed should make you extra aware of your surroundings. You get in a line and notice the man a few feet ahead of you has large black sunglasses and a hat covering a lot of his face. Since you've seen the news the last couple of days and the guys face is plastered all over it, you slightly recognize his build and face. Not wanting to be paranoid you just carefully watch his movements as he walks to the counter. Then it happens... u see him pull his firearm from his coat and point it at the teller. He loudly states that he wants money in a bag or he's going to start shooting. As of now you strategically have the advantage as he hasn't turned around and has no idea your armed. This may only be for a couple of seconds though so if your going to draw and fire you need to do it now. What would you do? You know this is probably the same guy since your in the same area as all his other hold ups. He hasn't fired before, but are you willing to take that chance?...... let me know what you all think. I hope to never be in this situation but I bank in that area all the time and am not going to change that. I dont believe we should allow criminals to terrorize us to the point we change our everyday routines for them.... just my opinoin though.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    At the point I saw him and recognized a possible threat, I would have exited and let my fingers do the walking. Starting a gunfight in a crowded bank seems like a losing proposition to me. The teller is obviously in the line of fire, caution being the better part of valour and all. Time to beat feet.

If you see someone suspicious outside the bank in a car use the drive thru, get your banking done without the confrintation. You see something while at the window call the police from the safety of your car.

Assistant Administrator
    Best involvement - zero!

I have considered this many times and am especially extra alert when I do have to inside the bank - but unless a perp started shooting I'd have to remain ''just another customer''. I do also analyze fields of fire so as to be ahead of the game just in case - good to know where is or isn't safe for shots to go.

Chances are the silent alarm will have been hit so cops will be there eventually - then if still on the scene be a good witness - absorb all details possible.

Remember - it's the bank's cash!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Exit stage left as rapidly but unnoticeably as humanly possible. Then get the boys in blue there as rapidly as possible, via 911 on the cell phone.

However, if he starts shooting, tying people up or pointing that thing my way, it's fair to say that the SHHTF.

Then it becomes an even worse day of everyone involved.

+1 Chris

observe, stand down and be a best possible witness you can.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    I would immediately exit the bank upon first sign of possible suspicious activity/persons. Observe from across the street w/ binos and call 911.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Why not shoot in the pelvic area? Hollow point should not penetrate through and would have mega damage and should incapacitate him.

Why wait for him to turn around and see you walking out and get shot in the back, or just get shot if your backing out.

The BG is commiting a felony by armed robbery, Plus, if you have the castle doctrine, I believe you will have some legal protection.

I would probably un-holster my weapon, be at a low ready and start backing up towards the door.

Now, if this guy was irate, yelling about killing people, and swinging the gun all over the place. I would just cap him.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil
    At the point I saw him and recognized a possible threat, I would have exited and let my fingers do the walking. Starting a gunfight in a crowded bank seems like a losing proposition to me. The teller is obviously in the line of fire, caution being the better part of valour and all. Time to beat feet.
    +1 blueyedevil

Be a good witness and di di mao!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Unlike the convenience store (shop & rob) hold-ups, bank heist seem to be conducted more often than not, with a note and no gun showing.

Unless something happens that really convinces me that the "shootings are about to begin," I'd have a hard time justifying a shot.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I wholly agree with blueyedevil. The bullet that you fire is your responsibility until it comes to rest. No lane of fire = no fire.

VIP Member
    I would not intervene unless Mr. or Ms. Bank Robber starts shooting or I reasonably believe that he/she is about to pull the trigger on someone.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    As per the above post....you get into line.....the BG is a few feet ahead of you.....you see a firearm and you see him point it at the teller.....you hear him say,"the money or I start shooting"(shooting who??) I'm with kansas shooter(2nd. para).

Now...who's in the line of fire for the back of his head(remember he's a "few feet" ahead of you). The teller ? maybe. Another customer ? maybe. Even if you lean out.

Does he have a buddy with a shotgun in the back of the bank,or maybe even in the safety deposit box room ??

One thing for sure,you will have a split second to make a decission that might cost you,bank patrons,or bank employee's,their lives. Or............ a decision that could save a number of lives. ------------

1) The bank robber is not stealing your money.
    2) It's not worth your life to save the bank's money.
    3) If you start shooting and get killed, the bank is not going to put your kids through college and take care of your wife in her retirement.

My gun is to protect me and mine. I might use it to protect a third party. I seriously doubt I would use it to protect a third party's property. YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    M1911, We each have our opinions on this matter.

In my above post if I unholstered it would be to try to save lives. I feel that I owe that to my fellow man. (sorry,that's just how I am.)I really don't care about the banks money.

BTW,I had a conversation with my wife earlier. She would want me to try to save lives also. ---------

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links